Cinematic Studio Brass vs.Cinebrass

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by ChrisSiuMusic, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Hanu_H

Hanu_H Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I think CSB is more complete than CB. It has wider dynamics and more articulations. Scripting is top notch as well. EQ:ing it per instrument would give you better results than EQ:ing the whole arrangement. I have a lot of brass libraries, but I don't have CSB. From the demos and videos I've heard, CSB is the best brass library for the buck at the moment. Just amazing library for the money. I would instantly buy it if I did't already have CineBrass, SM Brass, Adventure Brass, Metropolis Ark 1 Brass, Bravura Scoring Brass, EWQLSO Brass, etc...

-Hannes

ReelToLogic and ChrisSiuMusic like this.
  2. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Hehe.

...Yea, CSB seems to be the new top-tier standard when it comes to brass libraries. I'm kinda glad I didn't buy anything big during the current sales so I have money that can potentially go into CSB.

3. IdealSequenceG

IdealSequenceG Who seeks ultimate sequencing of VI

Jul 15, 2017
    I still like CB, the MGM stage recording tone.

marclawsonmusic likes this.
  4. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Did you set the legato speed all the way up? Also I think there would not be that many legatos used in that line (and definitely not 12 horns, but that's beside the point :grin:).

IdealSequenceG likes this.
  5. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Tried it. 12 horns patch opens up its brassiness way too early to play this. The 2 horns patch from Core is way more suitable.

90s Retro Horns will own this line.
    [​IMG]

ag75 and marclawsonmusic like this.
  6. marclawsonmusic

marclawsonmusic Senior Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Florida
    Here is a comparison of CSB and CineBrass Core playing the opening to Back To The Future (first CSB, then CB). Both examples use the main mics (Dennis Sands on CB, Mix mic on CSB) and no processing.

I love the sound of CineBrass. I spent about the same amount of time programming each of these, but I know I could get a better result with CineBrass if I spent even more time. In my opinion, that's where CSB excels - it takes less MIDI programming to get a good result. Another difference if there are more articulations in CSB than CineBrass Core... of course, this is resolved if you also purchase CineBrass Pro.

In my opinion, you really need CineBrass Pro in order to get good results with CineBrass. The solo instruments are great for layering (and softer dynamics - e.g. the solo trombones). With both Core and Pro, it is easier to cover some of the cracks that you here in my demo above. So again, it takes more programming to get a good result with CineBrass... totally my opinion of course.

IdealSequenceG, Scamper, Henu and 3 others like this.
  7. Axel Caino

Axel Caino New Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hi guys, i'm new here! Well, i have recently recorded the first EP of my band. We did it in a wide studio and with several orchestral instruments and 3 mics: 2 french horns (at the same time and individually), 2 trumpets (at the same time and individually), 1 trombone, 1 tuba, strings, ww, etc.

From my little experience (i have BB, CB Core and Pro), the main reason to decide wich library you want is what "thing" do you wanna get.

For example:
    -if you are looking for realness with the sound, you should look for the library that sounds more like a real orchestra, real instruments with imperfections (i learned this after hearing all our arrangments and melodies played by real instruments). It is a hole new level, a lot of expressions and intermediate articulations that you literally cant obtain or maybe sound synthetic when twicking if the library simply does not have it.

-now, if you are looking for sound, is different. You should buy the library that goes best with your taste.

I mainly work with BB, the tone is simply amazing but if you compare it with CBS, this one is even better and more real (maybe because it's a close library), and seems to have better playability, legato transitions and sinergy between patches. Imo, CSB is amazing in terms of realism, because i realized that brass section sounds brassy and harsh, and that's maybe the reason you have to complete with good orchestration. I will be buying it soon.

CB has a nice sound but it is not real for me.

We also improved a LOT our mockups because now we know how should sound. And that's a thing to have in mind when programming, imagine or try to replicate some real orchestra playing the articulation/rythm you wanna get.

Sorry if i made some mistakes, my english is not perfect.

ag75 and Saxer like this.
  8. Architekton

Architekton Active Member

Jan 18, 2017
    CB sounds "rounder" because of the loads of reverb. If we could hear CSB with same amount reverb on it, it would sound light years better. It doesnt mean CB doesnt sound good, its good...but no where near CSB.

9. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    I downloaded a lot of demos posted here and on YT and put various eqs and reverbs on those. I still think CB sounds better.

Gerbil likes this.
  10. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    But the fact is, and @Hanu_H pointed that out, I can't eq the single instruments there, so maybe CSB could sound even better. But as for now, I think CSB has more solid, darker sound; CB has more open and lofty sound.

11. Architekton

Jan 18, 2017
    Wait, you put eq and reverb on demos that someone else produced? Or you got CSB and can speak for yourself?

12. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Do I write in mandarin?

13. Architekton

Jan 18, 2017
    Obviously is something mandarin in your process when you judge an sample library that you dont have, but you, as an expert, download god knows which demos (some with other instruments) and you eq and reverb those, than judge library by that? If yes, I am speechless.

14. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    @Architekton Look. I stated, explicitly, I judge that library by what I hear in those demos. If you cannot process that and put into the consideration, then it's not my problem.
    Plus everybody who posted a demo here said whether it's out of the box or processed.

And keep that condescending tone out of this board. Everybody else here behaves with such a decency, no need to change that.

15. Hanu_H

Hanu_H Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I don't think it's top-tier, it's bread and butter library. From the new libraries that are announced, only one I would think as top-tier library is Audiobro's Modern Scoring Brass. It's in the same league as Berlin Brass, Spitfire Symphonic Brass, etc. CSB is something different, it covers the 70-80% of your brass writing. It doesn't do everything but what it does it excels. It is also a pretty specific sound, more geared towards classical movie sound than modern. It has a lot of similarities with CB actually.

-Hannes

16. Consona

Consona Senior Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Yea, I meant top-tier in the sense of playability and consistency, and even the dynamic range. I think overall it's in a rather good spot considering even Spitfire or Orchestral Tools libraries as alternatives.

Hanu_H likes this.
  17. Go To 11

Go To 11 New Member

Dec 11, 2018
    That's the thing with brass though, you can't just impulse it. Unless you record it, you don't get it. The room is everything. I learned this through countless hours trying to get some meat out of Sample Modelling. The information just isn't there.

marclawsonmusic and Consona like this.
  18. Hanu_H

Hanu_H Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    It really depends what kind of sound you are after. I have heard some amazing compositions done with SM Brass. Same thing with VSL. Drier libraries work better for non epic music I think, where the room is not such a big factor. But they give you other advantages that wet libraries don't. So it's best to use both and do what sounds best for the part.

-Hannes

19. Hanu_H

Hanu_H Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I agree it's on a good spot. I think most people would be happy with a library like this and don't need anything special from brass. I am one of those actually.

-Hannes

20. jononotbono

jononotbono Luke Johnson

I have CB and about to buy CSB. I’m just wondering about CB Pro. Probably going to buy that as well. Recommended? Think 2019 is the year for Brass Purchases for me!