What's new

FILMS: What are you watching ?

getting back into a lot of Japanese art house.

Life of Oharu was amazing if you like that sort of stuff. highly recommended.

This looks interesting, I will check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Have you ever come across something new to you and you think to your self - How on earth have I missed this ?

A few years ago I bought a load of Blu-ray movies pretty cheaply, and amongst them was this little Italian film. I hadn't even worked out the translation of film's the name. So it sat on my shelf, still in the cellphone wrapper - and there it sat unwatched - until yesterday afternoon.

I found my self on my own with a couple of hours to spare. My wife and kids had gone out to do some Christmas shopping, whilst I stayed at home to get all the software installed on my new laptop.

So I finally got around to watching this disk. It was The Legend of 1900, and the incredible score was by Ennio Morricone. I'd heard some of the music before, but oh boy, when it was put to the picture...

I was instantly transfixed.

Several hours later I was a complete mess, the laptop forgotten as I let this beautiful film wash over me like a soft, warm blanket. If you haven't seen this movie, then do so right now.

Take the phone off the hook, lock the doors and let the world go hang while you remember what it is that cinema can be...

I saw this years ago, and again maybe twice more. It is a movie with vast allegorical meaning, imho, about fear of the unknown and courage, raw talent. and how some things have value beyond their practical existence, like land.

Many Indigenous people may say that the land doesn't belong to them but they belong to the land, or more like they belong "with" the land. The last part of the movie reminds me of that.

Some crazy moments, of curse like the piano ride during a storm at sea and a meeting with Jelly Roll Morton... :) I thought it was well done, and I like Tim Roth in most movies he's done.

After a long time I watched a movie. I watched Paris when it Sizzles. Audrey Hepburn & William Holden. Given the time it was made, I have to say it’s really a must watch. I have interest in film Direction too so I guess this is one of the most recommended movies. Also, I love Audrey. She’s My most Fav Actress ever.

Yesterday re-watched Joe Kidd (with Clint Eastwood, love westerns, great score by Lalo Schifrin); today re-watched Bus Stop (with Marilyn Monroe). Tomorrow probably Two Mules For Sister Sara.

Watched The Killers (Old). Score by John Williams & the Song in was done by Henry Mancini. John was credited as Johnny. Yea he was credited with that name for few of his early movies. I totally liked the movie. May be not many will like it or not I don’t know coz most of the characters die but I loved it & glad that John did.

The Jazz Loft According to W. Eugene Smith (2015)​

Worth a watch, especially anyone with an interest in jazz. Documentary movie about a photographer who obsessively records his daily life on reel to reel tape in a NYC loft whilst jazz musicians come and go, living the bohemian life, in the late fifties / early sixties. The movie does a great job of using his b+w photos and tapes to tell his story and that of the jazz loft.
(Currently free to view on amzn prime in uk)

I'm watching as many fantasy/sci-fi as I can to get ideas for the score relief competition. All LotR, Star Wars, All of the Narnia and lots of fantasy movies. Getting some great ideas.

Top Bottom