What's new

FILMS: What are you watching ?

Auddict

His Dark Materials series... read the books growing up, loved them, and some of my friends played in the sessions too

Thomas Kallweit

eclecticism
Au poste! / Keep an eye out
not the best movie by Quentin Dupieux, but still something amusing, absurd und different (first one, which made it into the cinema here)

Sunny Schramm

If you're a fan of campy grindhouse films this was pretty great. Sadly it was Johann Johannsson's last score. :sad:

My Review (used Google Translate)

Nicolas Cage in a mega surreal, psychedelic revenge fairy tale.

Because of the hype and the statement by many that you love or hate him, I was a little afraid to look at him, BUT - it was worth it: I love him <3

Definitely not a film for everyone, but this time fascinating from start to finish - at least for me. The "Ambient / Doom / Metal" drone soundtrack by the late Johann Johannsson (Sicario, Arrival, Prisoners, The Discovery of Infinity, etc.) in connection with all these psychedelic and sometimes ill images was a pleasure for the senses.

As a horror, I would classify Mandy rather less - then more in the direction of the splatter, but actually he mostly belongs in the mystery / fantasy track with a penchant for art film. A bit like if you had wanted a good Rob Zombie film for a long time and got it from another director who was on a bad LSD trip: D

The 120 minutes also felt like two hours - but positive because I was fascinated again and again almost every minute. The film is so raw and trashy on one side ... and then again so beautiful, mystical and morbid. Through the soundtrack and the pictures, the film simply flows beautifully through a dark magical land and takes you on a journey in a very relaxing way. Be sure to look loudly on a good system or with good headphones so that you can be lulled nicely!

MANDY is simply something completely different: Cenobite bikers, blinded sect members and finally, again, a likeable and fitting-looking and great-acting Nicolas Cage.

CONCLUSION: a loose 8 out of 10 because he simply fascinated me

JohnG

If you like weird movies, or just unusual ones, try mubi.com

Everything from completely demented art-house made last year to the 1920s to "best foreign language" sorts of films. Truly off the beaten path.

telecode101

getting back into a lot of Japanese art house.

Life of Oharu was amazing if you like that sort of stuff. highly recommended.

muziksculp

getting back into a lot of Japanese art house.

Life of Oharu was amazing if you like that sort of stuff. highly recommended.

This looks interesting, I will check it out.

Thanks for the recommendation.

creativeforge

the plumber
Have you ever come across something new to you and you think to your self - How on earth have I missed this ?

A few years ago I bought a load of Blu-ray movies pretty cheaply, and amongst them was this little Italian film. I hadn't even worked out the translation of film's the name. So it sat on my shelf, still in the cellphone wrapper - and there it sat unwatched - until yesterday afternoon.

I found my self on my own with a couple of hours to spare. My wife and kids had gone out to do some Christmas shopping, whilst I stayed at home to get all the software installed on my new laptop.

So I finally got around to watching this disk. It was The Legend of 1900, and the incredible score was by Ennio Morricone. I'd heard some of the music before, but oh boy, when it was put to the picture...

I was instantly transfixed.

Several hours later I was a complete mess, the laptop forgotten as I let this beautiful film wash over me like a soft, warm blanket. If you haven't seen this movie, then do so right now.

Take the phone off the hook, lock the doors and let the world go hang while you remember what it is that cinema can be...

I saw this years ago, and again maybe twice more. It is a movie with vast allegorical meaning, imho, about fear of the unknown and courage, raw talent. and how some things have value beyond their practical existence, like land.

Many Indigenous people may say that the land doesn't belong to them but they belong to the land, or more like they belong "with" the land. The last part of the movie reminds me of that.

Some crazy moments, of curse like the piano ride during a storm at sea and a meeting with Jelly Roll Morton... :) I thought it was well done, and I like Tim Roth in most movies he's done.

Top Bottom