What's new

FILMS: What are you watching ?

VSriHarsha

After a long time I watched a movie. I watched Paris when it Sizzles. Audrey Hepburn & William Holden. Given the time it was made, I have to say it’s really a must watch. I have interest in film Direction too so I guess this is one of the most recommended movies. Also, I love Audrey. She’s My most Fav Actress ever.

Mark Kouznetsov

ᴍʀ. ꜱᴋɪʙɪᴅɪ ʙᴏᴘ ʙᴏᴘ
Yesterday re-watched Joe Kidd (with Clint Eastwood, love westerns, great score by Lalo Schifrin); today re-watched Bus Stop (with Marilyn Monroe). Tomorrow probably Two Mules For Sister Sara.

VSriHarsha

Watched The Killers (Old). Score by John Williams & the Song in was done by Henry Mancini. John was credited as Johnny. Yea he was credited with that name for few of his early movies. I totally liked the movie. May be not many will like it or not I don’t know coz most of the characters die but I loved it & glad that John did.

telecode101

I feel I should give a shout out to this film I recently watched. The First King. I think it's one of those films that gets lost in the shuffle to North American audiences. It's an Italian film made in 2019 and sort of what I would consider a small budget historical epic adventure about the early rise of the Roman Empire. I don't think I have ever seen a Roman Empire film where they tackled the myth of Remus and Romulous before.

Anyways, it was actually really well done. Very cool CGI in the action sequences (especially the opening Tiber flood sequence). Great camera work. The music was also really great and really well done. Epic music that fit it perfectly with the narrative in the scenes. Think of it as a really well done small budget attempt at a Ridley Scott film which manages to capture all the ideas that would you normally find in a huge tentpole film -- all done really well on a much smaller scale. Its a great thing to watch for new aspiring film makers and composers.

Subliminal

The Jazz Loft According to W. Eugene Smith (2015)​

Worth a watch, especially anyone with an interest in jazz. Documentary movie about a photographer who obsessively records his daily life on reel to reel tape in a NYC loft whilst jazz musicians come and go, living the bohemian life, in the late fifties / early sixties. The movie does a great job of using his b+w photos and tapes to tell his story and that of the jazz loft.
(Currently free to view on amzn prime in uk)

Vin

Λᴉu

Excellent film with some fantastic sound editing/mixing even though there isn't almost any music.

Rossy

I'm watching as many fantasy/sci-fi as I can to get ideas for the score relief competition. All LotR, Star Wars, All of the Narnia and lots of fantasy movies. Getting some great ideas.

Mark Kouznetsov

ᴍʀ. ꜱᴋɪʙɪᴅɪ ʙᴏᴘ ʙᴏᴘ
Monumental essay on human kind's existence, directed and scored by a late Islandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson (Arrival, Sicario, The Theory of Everything), Last And First Men absolutely blew my mind, from dreamy voice over by Tilda Swinton to hauntingly beautiful cinematography and achingly moving score. Thought provoking and rooted in the sci-fi with nods to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, it takes its time to develop without rushing through, while not overstating its welcome. It's simply CLASS.

As for me, Jóhann Jóhannsson has established himself as a modern legend. God knows, what could he have made if he didn't so tragically passed away in 2018. Those circumstances, however, even more so elevate the importance and the great impact of his works on modern classical music.

MV5BMDZkYWQ1OGItOTRhMi00MzIyLTk4Y2UtNzE1M2JhNmZjMmZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU5NTg5NzQ@._V1_ (2).jpg

Last edited:

muziksculp

Monumental essay on human kind's existence, directed and scored by a late Islandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson (Arrival, Sicario, The Theory of Everything), Last And First Men absolutely blew my mind, from dreamy voice over by Tilda Swinton to hauntingly beautiful cinematography and achingly moving score. Thought provoking and rooted in the sci-fi with nods to Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, it takes its time to develop without rushing through, while not overstating its welcome. It's simply CLASS.

As for me, Jóhann Jóhannsson has established himself as a modern legend. God knows, what could he have made if he didn't so tragically passed away in 2018. Those circumstances, however, even more so elevate the importance and the great impact of his works on modern classical music.

View attachment 43943
Thanks. I will check it out.

I saw the late Johann Johannsson in a live show performance of one of his albums at Royce Hall of UCLA. I think it was 2017, or maybe earlier. Very sad to lose such a talented composer. I had no idea he directed movies. He also contributed to the soundtrack of the film with the other composers.

Paulogic

Watching as much scifi as possible. Mainly because I love all alien, mutant, unreal stuff.
Most of them have interesting musicscore to.
Last few weeks, the rerun of Windkracht 10. Nice series about the SAR of Belgium Airforce
but with very good music made by Fonny De Wulf. He records everything with synths en VI's,
no original classic instrument at all. Also no midi sequencing, audio only. If 5 violins are needed
he would play it 5 times, because every slight variation will make it sound more realistic.
Also did work for Disney and others...
Nice Theme of the series, which I like very much :

Top Bottom