What's new

Abbey Road One Selections/Foundation Info

Even that would be welcome, but what makes you think it is coming? Did I miss an announcement?
From the Abbey Road One: Orchestral Foundations page on their website:

Film Scoring Selections​

Abbey Road One: Orchestral Foundations is the first in a series of film scoring selections recorded in Studio One. These follow up titles are smaller, more focused libraries inspired by classic films – offering pre-orchestrated instrument themes. Each Selections library is focussed on accomplishing certain performance elements of orchestral movie music brilliantly - from heroic brass themes, or sparkling woodwind runs, to emotional violin love scenes with a legato patch created using our new recording techniques - you can pick to create your own tailored palette. They work seamlessly alongside Orchestral Foundations as well as on their own.

Film Scoring Selections​

Abbey Road One: Orchestral Foundations is the first in a series of film scoring selections recorded in Studio One. These follow up titles are smaller, more focused libraries inspired by classic films – offering pre-orchestrated instrument themes. Each Selections library is focussed on accomplishing certain performance elements of orchestral movie music brilliantly - from heroic brass themes, or sparkling woodwind runs, to emotional violin love scenes with a legato patch created using our new recording techniques - you can pick to create your own tailored palette. They work seamlessly alongside Orchestral Foundations as well as on their own.
Thank you! I had no idea this was in the works.

Film Scoring Selections​

Is this from the Original Announcement 3 years ago or something new now?

Even that would be welcome, but what makes you think it is coming? Did I miss an announcement?
No, but they are still one library short of what they originally announced for Selections, and a high strings library was almost announced during the second round of Selections. There was some web copy that they posted by mistake and some other signs that pointed to the high strings being released and it seems like it was a last minute withdrawal. My speculation is they weren’t able to get the legato right, they did some experiments, which resulted in Appassionata, the improvement became clear about the time the high strings were going to be released; and so they shelved the library. Likely the new recording was put off, which is why we haven’t yet seen it, but given the cost the main sections are likely to be I think something like the violins in octaves would be a good showcase to convince folks to shell out for the full library.

I might be wrong about this, of course, and the reasoning is quite speculative, but I’ll be very surprised if the high strings Selection never appears.

I've got a hunch it'll be:

ARO High Strings Core: Vn1, Va, Vc (basic articulations, no legato) - $399
ARO Strings Expanded Players: Vn1, Vn2, Va, Vc (ornamental techniques) - $279
ARO Low Emotive Strings: Va, Vc, Vb (legato) - $329
ARO Strings Supporting Structures: Vn2 (basic articulations + legato, ornamental), Vb (basic articulations, no legato), Vc (legato only) - $289
ARO Strings Expanded Orchestrations: Vn1+Va+Vc ensemble, Vn1+Vn2+Vc ensemble, Vn1+Vn2+Vc ensemble (all basic articulations) - $339
ARO Strings Sectional Enhancements: Vn1 (legato, runs + fx), Vn2 (legato, runs + Fx), Vb (basic articulations, ornamental techniques) - $389
No, my musical spidey-senses say it may be something like that:

Violins 1: Corpus $300
Violins 1: A String Core $150
Violins 1: D String Core $150
Violins 1: G String Core $150
Violins 1: E String Core $150

It will be a truly modular Orchestra this time. If you don't play tunes with the A String, then you don't need to buy the A String. But beware: A String only plays if you have a corresponding Corpus, logical!

It’s on the Orchestral Foundations page right now. Been there for quite a while.

2AE10983-4C93-4BFF-A2AA-1E6283364E5C.jpeg
There's also something similar in the sound-on-sound release article:
"Starting in March 2021, the Orchestral Foundations core library will be followed by a series of smaller, inexpensive Film Scoring Selections titles inspired by classic scores recorded in Abbey Road Studio 1. Designed for easy use, these pre‑orchestrated titles will feature idiomatic themed instrumentations such as ‘romantic violins’, ‘sparkling woodwinds’, ‘melodic cello lines’ and ‘big‑sounding brass’, enabling users to create their own sound palettes. In Paul Thomson’s words, “In line with Spitfire’s mission of inspiring a generation of composers, and in part due to my passion for music education, I wanted to make the sound of an Abbey Road Studio 1 film score available to anyone of any skill level.”

The selections (which work independently of Orchestral Foundations) include the same microphone signals, round robins and dynamic layers as the core library, and will incorporate Spitfire’s newly-designed legato patches, the result of extensive R&D aimed at combining simplicity of use with increased realism. Regardless of whether you own several of the smaller selections or the whole range, all the Film Scoring Selections will load up inside the same Spitfire dedicated plug‑in, so you can access the entire collection in one place."

Source: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/spitfire-audio-abbey-road-one-orchestral-foundations

There's also something similar in the sound-on-sound release article:
"Starting in March 2021, the Orchestral Foundations core library will be followed by a series of smaller, inexpensive Film Scoring Selections titles inspired by classic scores recorded in Abbey Road Studio 1. Designed for easy use, these pre‑orchestrated titles will feature idiomatic themed instrumentations such as ‘romantic violins’, ‘sparkling woodwinds’, ‘melodic cello lines’ and ‘big‑sounding brass’, enabling users to create their own sound palettes. In Paul Thomson’s words, “In line with Spitfire’s mission of inspiring a generation of composers, and in part due to my passion for music education, I wanted to make the sound of an Abbey Road Studio 1 film score available to anyone of any skill level.”

The selections (which work independently of Orchestral Foundations) include the same microphone signals, round robins and dynamic layers as the core library, and will incorporate Spitfire’s newly-designed legato patches, the result of extensive R&D aimed at combining simplicity of use with increased realism. Regardless of whether you own several of the smaller selections or the whole range, all the Film Scoring Selections will load up inside the same Spitfire dedicated plug‑in, so you can access the entire collection in one place."

Source: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/spitfire-audio-abbey-road-one-orchestral-foundations

That is all long time AbandonWare.

In my head I still have this image we would have been given the opportunity to buy legato for most of the AR1 instruments.
I think that the Abbey Road One foundation lineup will be completed with the legato selection for all the instruments. The number of disadvantages for Spitfire to not releasing any more ARO selections is exorbitant.
It's true that it's been 8 months (AFAIK) since the last release, but I think that the timing should be carefully planned because it has an impact on the sales of other libraries.
Unfortunately, there are no other options but to wait and see what happens.

Top Bottom