What's new

Abbey Road One Selections/Foundation Info

Land of Missing Parts

Grumpy Monkey
Here's a handy reference of the basic information about Spitfire's Abbey Road One series. No need to go hunting through pages of marketing, pages of VI-C threads, or Youtube videos.

The Scoring Selections are now complete, with nine sections total. All are ensemble sections and tend to have 3 dynamic layers. Vibrato is always baked in (rather than having a controllable vibrato layer).

** Paul clarifies the story of the High Strings section here. TL;DR Spitfire got blowback for not releasing an customer-imagined product (brought about by miscommunication). So they made it.

---

FILM SCORING SELECTIONS
55.9gb

Wondrous Flutes (picc + 2fl in octaves) -- 6.9gb
Leg/sus, stacc, marcato, mordents (min 2nd-maj 3rd)

Vibrant Reeds (2ob + 2cl in octaves, 2ob + 2cl + cor anglais in octaves) -- 7.5gb
Leg/sus (2 types), stacc, mordents (min 2nd-maj 3rd)

Sparkling Woodwinds (picc + 2fl + 2ob + 2cl in octaves + optional glock) -- 6.4gb
Leg/sus, stacc

Mysterious Reeds (2ob + 2cl, 2cl + 2 bn in octaves) -- 7.6gb
Leg/sus (2 types), stacc | (3 sus dyn layers)

Thematic Trumpets (4 trumpets in unison) -- 10.7gb
Leg/sus, stacc'mo, stacc, tenuto, marcato, sfz | (3 sus dyn layers)

Thematic Horns (8 horns in unison) -- 11gb
Leg/sus (2 types), stacc'mo, stacc, tenuto, marcato, sfz | (3 sus dyn layers)

Grand Brass (4hn + 10vc, 4hn + tuba in octaves) -- 9.3gb
Leg/sus (2 types), stacc, tenuto, short/medium/long swells

Soaring High Strings (30 violins in unison) -- 8.5gb
Leg/sus, spicc

Legendary Low Strings (10 cellos + 8 basses in octaves) -- 7.5gb
Leg/sus, stacc, spicc

---

ABBEY ROAD ONE: ORCHESTRAL FOUNDATIONS
69.6gb

Strings High (16/14/12)
Sus, sus CS, trem, spicc, pizz | (5 sus dyn layers, vib/non-vib)

Strings Low (10/8)
Sus, sus CS, trem, spicc, pizz | (5 sus dyn layers, vib/non-vib)

Winds High (picc, 2fl, 2ob, cor anglais, 2cl)
Sus, stacc, tenuto, marcato, short/medium/long swells | (5 sus dyn layers)

Low Winds (1bcl, 2bn, 1cbn)
Sus, stacc, marcato, short/medium/long swells | (4 sus dyn layers)

4 Trumpets
Sus, stacc, tenuto, marcato, short/medium/long swells | (5 sus dyn layers)

4 Horns
Sus, stacc, tenuto, marcato, short/medium/long swells | (4 sus dyn layers)

Low Brass (3trb, 2btrb, 1 contrabass trb, 1 tuba, 1 contrabass tuba)
Sus, stacc, tenuto, marcato, short/medium/long swells | (4 sus dyn layers)

---

Here is a breakdown of all Abbey Road One woodwind arrangements:

(Contain at least leg/sus, stacc)
picc + 2fl + 2ob + 2cl -- Sparkling Woodwinds
picc + 2fl 8ve -- Wondrous Flutes
2ob + 2cl unison -- Mysterious Reeds
2ob + 2cl 8ve (+ optional cor anglais) -- Vibrant Reeds
2cl + 2bn 8ve -- Mysterious Reeds

(Contain at least sus, stacc'mo, marcato, short/med/long swells)
picc, 2fl, 2ob, cor anglais, 2cl unison -- AROOF
1bcl, 2bn, 1cbn unison -- AROOF

Last edited:
One tiny thing I spotted (the rest is correct), but Sparkling Winds also has a Piccolo!
Thanks Karma!

So an easy way to think about the winds selections might be:
Sparkling Woodwinds = Wondrous Flutes + Vibrant Reeds (+ optional glock)?

Of course there are important differences like the playable range, the articulations available, and that Sparkling Woodwinds is derived from its own recording session(s).

Last edited:
Here's a handy reference of the basic information about Spitfire's Abbey Road One series. No need to go hunting through pages of marketing, pages of VI-C threads, or Youtube videos. I'm still updating. Let me know if you spot mistakes or want to add any info.

I'd like to add info on how many dynamic layers are in each, if anyone knows those.

Vibrant reeds has 2 oboes and 2 clarinets.
Yes, legendary low strings has 10 cellos and 8 basses.
I think it will be better to change order of flutes and piccolo in your wondrous flutes description.

Last edited:
Likely Trumpets + Horns in octaves plus some random ass pairing again.
It's not going to be anything other than pairings in these supplements to AROOF. You'll have to wait for the main modular AR orchestra for that.

Trumpets and horns in octaves seem likely. Maybe Trumpets and Trombones in octaves. Or some combination thereof. I'm hoping this library might also have some mid-brass sustains as supplemental patches, since the trombones only go to middle C (with the low brass patch of AROOF) and I'd like something more trombone like rather than horn like in that midrange.

Weird how SF keeps delaying the high strings legato that was first teased for release but then quickly withdrawn, when was it, last May?

It's not going to be anything other than pairings in these supplements to AROOF. You'll have to wait for the main modular AR orchestra for that.
Was that for me? I'm well aware of how the Selections are structured. :laugh:

I'm hoping if there is a second pairing it's horns + trombones.

Was that for me? I'm well aware of how the Selections are structured. :laugh:

I'm hoping if there is a second pairing it's horns + trombones.
How many times do these threads fill up with folks not understanding what these libraries are for and wondering why SF releases them rather than the modular library? So the comment is not specifically addressing you, but those who come across your dismissive comment about the library and don't recognize what these libraries are designed for.

How many times do these threads fill up with folks not understanding what these libraries are for and wondering why SF releases them rather than the modular library? So the comment is not specifically addressing you, but those who come across your dismissive comment about the library and don't recognize what these libraries are designed for.
Dismissive? ARO is the single Spitfire product I actually like. Go bark at a different fence if you're looking for a fight. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom