What's new

What library do you want that does not yet exist?

Drum and bugle corps for Kontakt. IR’s for a stadium, crowd reactions, and a modulator to create that wonderfully weird swirling caused by motion, heat, and wind. Tuned and untuned percussion.

Bells up, bells down, sizzling virtuoso high notes. Rear-facing crossfade to front-facing. Choice of uniform color.

I want a set of libraries with the agility of Infinite Brass and Infinite Woodwinds, but also the tone of the more standard, traditionally sampled libraries. As much as I love those two products, the difference in tone between them and traditional libraries can be really noticeable on some instruments.

It seems like you either have libraries that are kind of stiff and tricky to make them sound musical but with tons of room tone and authenticity in the samples (like Spitfire's libraries), or you have libraries that can handle anything you throw at them and sound musical as virtual instruments, but they don't always match the tone color of the real instruments they're emulating.

Until that happens, I'll be using a few traditional sampled instruments to support the instruments from IB/IW. I find that it helps keep the illusion of an ensemble of more raw sounding instruments while still giving me the benefit of having many instruments that are as agile as I need them to be.

Reactions: Dan
Drum and bugle corps for Kontakt. IR’s for a stadium, crowd reactions, and a modulator to create that wonderfully weird swirling caused by motion, heat, and wind. Tuned and untuned percussion.

Bells up, bells down, sizzling virtuoso high notes. Rear-facing crossfade to front-facing. Choice of uniform color.

Might not hit *all* your requirements (definitely misses uniform color), but: https://www.samplelogic.com/products/marching-bundle/

Or more affordably (without so much extra sound tweaking): (broken link removed)

If the goal is "modern marching band sound", this gets fairly close.

Might not hit *all* your requirements (definitely misses uniform color), but: https://www.samplelogic.com/products/marching-bundle/

Or more affordably (without so much extra sound tweaking): (broken link removed)

If the goal is "modern marching band sound", this gets fairly close.

Thanks, Jazzaria. No legatos, modern scripting, I dunno. A lot missing.

I looked at those. Good pedigree. I spent too many hours on fields to accept sustains as the melodic star to stand in for real interval sampling. Thanks for your response. Yeah, it’s the closest yet.

It’s definitely a niche thing. Marching bands. I mean really like columns going down the street or in a park. Field stuff.

Imperfection becomes perfect imitation of reality.

😁

Dirty, psychedelic jazz group samples.

Think Mulato Astatke, Alice Coltrane, Sun Ra LPs.

Drum kit, horn section, electric/upright bass, harp, rhodes, flute, vibes. Maybe a crappy sounding organ.

Tight and dry spaces - oozing with character performance wise.

Closest existing library I've been tempted by is Project Sam's Swing/Swing More but - toooo clean.

GIMME

Last edited:
Geez - 6 pages. I read 3. Sorry if already mentioned but for me any 'solo' library that can 'feel' performed on - without a ridiculous time investment in moussing around twittling CC's (think JBV - 2.0). Final sound must NEVER be compromised for this 'convenience'. Gots to have both - or I personally pass nowadays. When you think of it - we all have 98+% of what is needed to satisfy a client. For me I only jump on things that satisfy the above. Which means I buy Far FEWER libraries today.

1. Spitfire medium strings recorded at Lyndhurst. Size in between symphonic and chamber. Take everything they've learned so far and make the perfect Lyndhurst string library. Perfect legatos. Very tight spiccatos. I don't need a million articulations, but the core ones need to be absolutely perfect.

2. Spitfire 4 horn section, Lyndhurst. Both the two horn patch and the six horn patch are great but wonky in their own way. I just want a go-to horn section that does it all. Soft stuff or balls to the walls. But most importantly, very flexible shorts.

3. Full orchestra recorded at Ocean Way Nashville Studios. Very tight. Extremely tight spiccatos and legatos, and flexible shorts on the brass.

4. Full orchestra recorded at Abbey Roads. Everything up to par with todays standards.

Just a few dreams. If only I was a billionaire, I'd have all of this done....

Wind/Concert band. Not just woodwinds/brass in cinematic/orchestral sizes either— something more like what you get in educational settings (flutes a6 etc). This of course includes all the various saxophones sampled with more than just jazz in mind— and again, in some varied ensemble sizes. You could probably skip perc as most perc libraries could supplement for that.

A choir library with the "I" vowel sound.

I have 16 choir libraries, including all the best ones, and not one of them has the "I" vowel sound.

It's freaky.

Because phonetically, I doesn't exist. It is ah-ee. Just say it fast. Singers sing phonetically.
Heh. I see what you're saying. But no. Sing the word "time". It's not tah-eme.

I know it's a subtle difference. But when you're actually trying to say certain words, it makes all the difference in the world.

Edit. For the record, I should say, this is not hypothetical for me. I actually have a song where I need the choir to sing the word time. I've tried faking It with other vowel sounds. It doesn't work.

Heh. I see what you're saying. But no. Sing the word "time". It's not tah-eme.

I know it's a subtle difference. But when you're actually trying to say certain words, it makes all the difference in the world.

Edit. For the record, I should say, this is not hypothetical for me. I actually have a song where I need the choir to sing the word time. I've tried faking It with other vowel sounds. It doesn't work.
It depends. I am a singer. I listen to myself. It is a slightly different ah going into the ee than for a held ah, but it really isn't that far off. I think the problem is more when you write out the ah-ee, it is too separated because of how they record. Did you try tah-em? I hear it when I sing, but I have choir libraries and they really need an ae sound

Top Bottom