What's new

What library do you want that does not yet exist?

InsanitySamples

In a world where everything exists a thousand unique times over, what do YOU still feel is missing, or that you wish worked in a certain way/sounded/acted in a certain way. Would love to get some active input into a future release centred entirely around what the community feel they are missing. A collaboration with the people who known best, you!

Those here that know our output know we tend to deal with the creation of soloist libraries centred around characterful players with tons of personality in performance. So any wierd and wonderful solo instruments the world over would be a good starting place, but no bars held, what do you want in your locker that you currently do not see in existence?

Over to you...

I'd be interested in some playable and detailed fast trumpet repetitions with character and personality.

There's trumpet reps in existing libraries to be sure, and they can get the job done. But when I hear a real trumpet player doing those fast tongued reps in concert pieces and in film scores, I just think there's so much personality and detail that I've not come across in sample land yet.

There's so much to do... a modeled fiddle, a choir which can sing Latin or English intelligibly, a hi-hat which reacts properly to the pedal being moved while it's vibrating, cymbals with realistic buildup for dense ride patterns and rolls etc.

But if you're looking for stuff that can be sampled using existing methods, in the Latin perc threads no one seems satisfied with existing timbales - ones tuned and hit by someone who really understands the styles and the sound expected for those styles.

Many years ago I had a book about future tech. It contained descriptions of various tech gadgets that, based on current research and technology trends Of the day, would likely come to fruition in the next 5-10 years.

Of all the items in that book, one, and only one, sticks in my mind to this day. The book described a vocal synthesizer that could convincingly replace a human singer, and be configured to sound like anyone from Frank Sinatra to Janis Joplin. It was all based on research being conducted at Stanford, and the book estimated such a device would be available in just a matter of a few short years.

Well, every year since, I have eagerly awaited such a talented and versatile arftficial vocalist to become part of my production toolset. And every year I continue to be disappointed 😥 At this point, I really don't think it'll ever happen - at least not in my lifetime.

I would like to have a string library that really works. instead of rushing out the twentieth string library, again with a limited number of samples and several shortcomings here and there, I would like to have a really well crafted library. I think that technology already allows for way better libraries, it's just that the vendors want to make money, so they don't go into much detail. A library that uses extensive sampling, well crafted round robins, cautiously selected and cut legato samples, with the highest effort on quality assurance, that would really be a dream. of course it would cost a lot more than nowadays' libraries, but for the pro market segment that would be okay.

Many years ago I had a book about future tech. It contained descriptions of various tech gadgets that, based on current research and technology trends Of the day, would likely come to fruition in the next 5-10 years.

Of all the items in that book, one, and only one, sticks in my mind to this day. The book described a vocal synthesizer that could convincingly replace a human singer, and be configured to sound like anyone from Frank Sinatra to Janis Joplin. It was all based on research being conducted at Stanford, and the book estimated such a device would be available in just a matter of a few short years.

Well, every year since, I have eagerly awaited such a talented and versatile arftficial vocalist to become part of my production toolset. And every year I continue to be disappointed 😥 At this point, I really don't think it'll ever happen - at least not in my lifetime.
The pieces are slowly coming together. PPG Phonem has a lot of expressive possibility, but is absurdly difficult to use for a phrase of any length, and all the stuff you can tweak can also easily make it unrealistic. Speech synthesis without singing is making progress, so a lot of it is just applying music-specific timing, expression and pitch to it, and there are people working on that bit by bit (like Kanru Hua crowdsourcing a bunch of legato transitions to research pitch curves).

I really don't think the problem is that it's so difficult to synthesize a realistic and expressive solo voice; the problem is that human singers are cheap and easy to work with, so there's not much money in solving these problems. But choirs are NOT cheap or logistically simple, so maybe there...

I would like to have a string library that really works. instead of rushing out the twentieth string library, again with a limited number of samples and several shortcomings here and there, I would like to have a really well crafted library. I think that technology already allows for way better libraries, it's just that the vendors want to make money, so they don't go into much detail. A library that uses extensive sampling, well crafted round robins, cautiously selected and cut legato samples, with the highest effort on quality assurance, that would really be a dream. of course it would cost a lot more than nowadays' libraries, but for the pro market segment that would be okay.

I think this is the case for a lot of libraries/instrument sets now.

There is very little innovation going on and just more and more of the same, leading to a ridiculously saturated market of average stuff.

Genesis can be hacked to be quite horror...y...ish
Any standard children's choir library can to an extent (some even have horror fx), but that's not really the same thing, ya know? I would love a dedicated horror themed childrens choir library.

Last edited:
Top Bottom