What's new

What library do you want that does not yet exist?

The one library that I often keep thinking 'why doesn't this exist' about, is one which is based on different core principles than most current libraries are: a library which right form the start is designed to keep evolving for years, and which could allow users to dive really deep into one, brilliant library instead of buying new ones or switching between several libraries to get the job done.

The main libs I use all have som great qualities – and some major limitations.
Mural, which was the first lib I bought in my second round of exploring string libraries had a lot of limitations, but has improved a lot with the SSS upgrade. But it still has limitations, like eg. lack of a vibrato level between medium and molto, there's no divisi, I miss better control over the portamento – and so on. What I wrote about vibrato also applies to Berlin Strings: I often miss a level which is not as intense as their molto lib, but more intense than medium. I often like the tone and expressiveness of Afflatus, it comes with a number of section sizes, it has auto-divisi and polyphonic legato –
but I miss round robins, vibrato control (the most intense vibrato is medium-ish), the lowest and next-lowest note share the same (non-vibrato) samples. Then there's Performance Samples
Con Moto, which can sound really inspiring and expressive, but which misses most articulations, it could see some UI improvements, and doesn't have any expressed portamento at all.

And so on.

This is why many of us are investing in multiple libraries, which of course helps the manufacturers pay their bills. Creating a 'perfect library' could easily stop that – but nevertheless, I wish more library makers would try. If planned as a modular library, they could still make a lot of money on it, because it would keep expanding. Most sample library makers aren't even born yet, so it would IMO make sense to think long term, as in really long term – for a number of reasons. One main reason is that when a user has found a library s/he really likes, and then at some point discover that he's like to have a Violin 1 which is a little more expressive without being too intense, or had a rebow solution which sounded more convincing, or a different kind of portamento, s/he probably rather buy that from the same company over ending up with dealing with a lot of different UIs, sections from different libraries that don't really match each other so well - and so on.

Even when looking at attacks, rebows, legato, portamento etc limited to string libraries from only one company, they often sound quite different from each other. Sometimes they also behave quite different different between the V1 and V2, but I believe that many of us would prefer a modular monster library with instruments that were consistent, and also with some kind of minster modularity: record the instruments with, say, 8 various degrees off velocity controlled attacks, and release it with maybe three. If I could buy new and better attack options for libraries I own, I would have done that. The marcato attack is sometimes too intense, or not intense enough... and it would be great to use a system that was even more responsive to my velocities than most current libs are. There's an almost endless list of stuff that could be improved in string libraries, and as a result of that, some companies keep producing new libs. But my feeling is thatch kind of library I describe here also could generate a lot of income, especially after the initial release.

I want an orchestra library that sounds good without a lot of modulation and expression adjustments. Because I'm not that good at it.

And not a library, but I want to sing a melody into my mic and have it automatically add chords to fit. Because even though I love the melody, the chords never really work. I want the music in my head to be in the DAW.

I want an orchestra library that sounds good without a lot of modulation and expression adjustments. Because I'm not that good at it.

And not a library, but I want to sing a melody into my mic and have it automatically add chords to fit. Because even though I love the melody, the chords never really work. I want the music in my head to be in the DAW.

So like, a neural interface/midi input/daw/sample library all-in-one combo..

I'd like one that perfectly replicates Be-Bop and swing singers (word builders, natch).
Mike's Realitone Ladies do be-bop pretty good. Now if only someone would do a men's backup singers with word builder. I have Soundiron's Questionably Barbershop that has some stuff, but really, you can't do too much with it.

So like, a neural interface/midi input/daw/sample library all-in-one combo..
YES!

Edit - Now that I think about it, it is 2020. Shouldn't this exist by now? And where is my flying car? That fits in a briefcase? These things were promised! The future was supposed to be so much more exciting by now!

A collection of Animals crying. Mod wheel changing intensity from sobbing to floods of tears. 😂

To be honest, I would like all the Orchestral libraries I have from Spitfire and OT to be expanded on. For example, give us loads of different short note techniques and especially note lengths. More dynamic layers. More round robins. And make all arts between instruments consistent. Being able to change the sample offset per articulation. All this type of stuff. Just make everything we have way better.

I would like an Ultimate Cymbals & Gongs library. From the smallest splash cymbal to the largest gong. It would come preferably with a very strong editing engine, to customize the instrument to the maximum. It could be sample-based, but I think modeled filters like the ones from U-He could play a major part. I would expect such a library to be totally transparent and shimmering, without aliasing or other transposing artefacts. We should be able to place our cymbal kits in a virtual place, like in Precedence.

I would love a matched set of solo conical-bore brass - tuba, euphonium, tenor horn, flugelhorn and cornet, beautifully recorded (dry), with comprehensive articulation sets please :)

I don't know if you're joking

Nope, very serious. I also use the SWAM violin for fiddle parts because of how pliable it is compared to static samples, but I would like to see such a modeled library that's specifically designed to reproduce folk-styled ornaments and other flourishes rather than orchestral runs, and allows things like single-string bending on a double-stop. That SWAM violin example above, with all the automation, is very good, but that unison tin whistle is a big part of what's selling it is a fiddle.

Top Bottom