What's new

VEPro 7 now available!

That is sad news. And lame. Well, if Apple blows it on the next macPro, then I may end up switching to Windows, and then I'd probably use Cubase, but that is probably years away, hopefully never because I don't want to leave OSX. I will go back to my regularly schedule LogicPro and DP challenges. I guess Cubase might work for some stuff so I'll mess with it now and then, but man...it is literally double the CPU use of Logic playing back 100 tracks through VEP. Where Logic is humming along at 20-50% to play it, Cubase is peaking the 90's. Too close for comfort. I haven't even tried any synth plugins in it yet.

I too was on that same boat. Had a spec'd out Mac Pro and Cubase felt poorly optimized (I even contemplated switching to LPX) Cubase worked okay on macOS but thankfully I also have a fully built PC as one of my workstations. Once I transferred everything over, it was night and day. As well as having Thunderbolt 3 on my PC, it all made sense. All of my servers are running Windows as well as my main host. Absolutely no issues. Overclocked my host a bit too :)

I use my Mac Pro as a Pro Tools only machine now. As Pro Tools just runs better on macOS I feel. Same kind of story as with Cubase on Windows.

I'd suggest switching to a PC if you enjoy Cubase/Nuendo. Otherwise go with Logic Pro X. The optimization on macOS is what makes Logic so great.

yea no, thanks though. I have a very long hate relationship with microsoft windows. Not leaving OS X any time soon, I can live without cubase if it sucks on mac

yea no, thanks though. I have a very long hate relationship with microsoft windows. Not leaving OS X any time soon, I can live without cubase if it sucks on mac

Haha, no worries. Windows 10 has come a loooong way. Especially in the audio realm. I use to be a Mac guy but things have changed quite a bit now. I love both platforms but Windows is taking the edge.

Either way, I respect anyone's decision and opinion :)

I believe you but its on many many fronts that I really loath Microsoft. The thoughts of the windows registry alone makes me want to vommit. I was a unix developer for 20 years, I'm very comfortable with all the unix stuff that comes with OS X under the covers. I will not go to windows until Apple forces me to through crappy hardware, which they very well may do! But they're not there yet.

I had it turned off globally, I did not yet do it per plugin. I will try that. Any other tips anyone has to kick cubase mac into better CPU behavior? I'm honestly regretting my purchase of Cubase based on this performance its simply awful compared to LogicPro...and DP's performance is somewhere halfway in between.
Sorry if I missed it, but what are your system specs?

Do you guys see a CPU spike on this new version or is it performing as good as VEpro 6 or even 5,
over on the VSL Forum i have seen one a couple of post complaining about CPU hit

Do you guys see a CPU spike on this new version or is it performing as good as VEpro 6 or even 5,
over on the VSL Forum i have seen one a couple of post complaining about CPU hit

What I'm seeing is an extra 15-20% cpu cranks on whenever the VEP gui is visible. If I minimize, then CPU drops back down to reasonable levels. This even happens when nothing is playing back. I never noticed this in VEP6. I don't know if it was happening there I just never noticed it. Anyway its definitely happening now.

What I'm seeing is an extra 15-20% cpu cranks on whenever the VEP gui is visible. If I minimize, then CPU drops back down to reasonable levels. This even happens when nothing is playing back. I never noticed this in VEP6. I don't know if it was happening there I just never noticed it. Anyway its definitely happening now.
Crap. Well, as a Mac user I'm definitely waiting on my install of VEP 7. Thanks for posting.

I'm actually thinking of rolling back to VEP6, but I'm not working on anything critical at the moment so just going to roll with it for a while. They'll sort it out. Unless you REALLY are in need one of the new features...most of which are kind of minor frankly..I don't think you're missing much. Nice little improvements, but nothing that can't wait a month or two until the dust settles.

I see others posting huge improvements there. In truth, I'm not sure I see much difference in either direction, but I sure haven't seen it being any worse. I'm not saying that others don't have any issues, mind.

I think for many people, Wake On Midi will be the big gamechanger in 7 when it arrives. Now we know it's coming, it makes sense to wait until then before building new templates. IMO the promise of it is enticing enough to encourage folks to buy now in the sale period (runs out on May 16th I think).

By looking at Parameters Panel I'm thinking it should be useful to add an "X" button at the left (or right) of every parameter row to clear only the row I want to delete. Right now everytime I have to go inside the menu and click on "NONE" to get this.

I'd like to submit a request in the VSL site, where should I do it? I cannot find where to post request, maybe I should post directly in the VEP forum thread...

I believe you but its on many many fronts that I really loath Microsoft. The thoughts of the windows registry alone makes me want to vommit. I was a unix developer for 20 years, I'm very comfortable with all the unix stuff that comes with OS X under the covers. I will not go to windows until Apple forces me to through crappy hardware, which they very well may do! But they're not there yet.
The Registry is the enemy still, I have to agree. If Cubase or Logic ran on Linux I would be over there learning that now ;)

The Registry is the enemy still, I have to agree. If Cubase or Logic ran on Linux I would be over there learning that now ;)
Wish Linux was an option for software, surely it wouldn't be too difficult to port macOS apps to Linux, it would increase efficiency potentially and still have a very stable OS too!

ok thanks

I think for many people, Wake On Midi will be the big gamechanger in 7

I thought 6 already had this probably my mistake, i can load VI instruments with out the patches but when i press a key they all get loaded is this another term than wake on midi

I thought 6 already had this probably my mistake, i can load VI instruments with out the patches but when i press a key they all get loaded is this another term than wake on midi

Not a keyswitch, rather play ANY key then it loads automatically. In 6 (and currently 7) that needs midi transformer type kludging in the DAW (as does a keyswitch for that matter).

I just installed 7, I have an instance per PLAY / Kontakt instance as the Event input plugin for VEP has a delay when using a midi keyboard to trigger notes.

Each channel inside each instance is disabled by default.

I was wondering if others have experienced a lot slower loading per instance in 7 compared to 6? Opening my project currently and it's vastly slower. I'm hoping it's a first time project opening thing.

Edit:
Tried a few times with blank instances and full instances. Seems a lot slower for now. Got a crash too with the new automation window. Sent both issues to VSL support to see what they say also.

Last edited:
I need to do a proper test with real measurements but it does seem a little slower to load.

Vsl has sent me a beta to try regarding cpu load when gui is active. Can’t try it until tonight

Top Bottom