VEPro 7 now available!

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by Ben, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I need to do a proper test with real measurements but it does seem a little slower to load.

Vsl has sent me a beta to try regarding cpu load when gui is active. Can’t try it until tonight

2. Shredoverdrive

Shredoverdrive Active Member

Feb 7, 2018
    Wishful question : for those who already have installed and tried it, is Vepro 7 easier to incorporate into an existing template or is it the same as in Vepro 6?
    Thanks

3. OP
    OP
    Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Way more easier. If you have VEP, just install it. If you want to extract your template from the DAW into VEP, VEP7 has some nice features that will help you speeding things up. I will try to write a quick summary with everything thats new.

C-Wave, droman92 and Shredoverdrive like this.
  4. droman92

droman92 New Member

Feb 6, 2019
    Just updated to version 7. Stupid simple and everything works well. No issues thus far :)

5. Audio Birdi

Audio Birdi Active Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I'm liking that finally disabling channels in VEP 7 doesn't forget the automation mappings for FX plugins when re-enabling them. That drove me nuts with plugins in VEP 6 so ended up hosting all those inside my DAW initially. Now it's all there without issues.

Hoping the loading of instances speeds up for updates in future.

@Guy Rowland I was wondering where VSL mentioned Wake-on MIDI is in the works for VEP 7?

6. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Azetag's posts on p27 here.

Really it should be a relatively simple coding job (I hate typing this as a non-coder, I just imagine the hollow laughs from staff!) but all the infrastructure is already good to go. It's just a little sniffer line of code that looks for midi note on on a channel, and if the channel hosting the VST it is connected to is disabled, then enable it. I can only imagine VSL themselves hadn't quite recognised the significance of what these relatively few lines of code would do for people's workflows. Once its there, they should do a little tutorial video to show the power and ease-of-setup of having this as part of a disabled template.

Gaffable likes this.
  7. Shubus

Shubus Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    I just want to thank Martin for being here & listening to our concerns.

Helen McMillin and C-Wave like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    ChazC, DMDComposer and C-Wave like this.
  9. DANIELE

DANIELE Active Member

Another strange behavior, after a little time I'm working on VEP by loading libraries it slows down a lot and take forever to load instrument in my kontakt instances. :confused:

There's something strange for sure. :cautious:

10. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    I keep getting elicenser errors, that basically lock up VEP and it has to be killed. I've reset, reinstalled and maintained my dongles a few times already. Its beyond annoying.

11. OP
    OP
    Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Some performance tipps:

1) Make sure that your thread per instance count matches your CPU core count and the instance count.
    For example if you are using 20 instances, your CPU has 4 cores and you have set an instance thread count of 4, VEP will run 80 threads on 4 cores, which is really bad for performance.

2) [WIN] If you have enough RAM, lower your virtual memory under Advanced system settings / Virtual memory. I have set it to only 1GB. That limits what Windows can put on your harddrive to free up RAM. I had disabled it but then the computer just freezes if the RAM gets almost filled.

3) [WIN 10] Check with the task manager that there is no process that slows down loading (sometimes license checks have bad impact on loading performance). Also check if one of your drives is the reason for this (you can see the load on it under the performance tab of the task manager)

Vonk likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Ben

Ben Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Make sure your eLicenser does not loose connection whenever an eLicenser application is running, as it crashes the eLicenser service.
    Also USB-hubs can be the reason for this, especially those without additional energy supply. Try connecting you eLicenser directly on the back of your computer / on the notebook.

13. Vonk

Vonk Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Me too. I can guarantee an elicense error message if I exit without saving, which is the norm for my template setup. I can't see this happening on my servers but it prevents remote shutdown so is nuisance. Happens on both win 10 & win 7 servers.

14. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    move your license to another dongle boot with it then drag them back again

15. 24dBFS

24dBFS Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Germany
    Hi VEPro wizards!
    Does anybody know if it's possible to edit the Automation settings in a text editor instead the Automation panel. It takes ages to assign big templates even with the drag/drop.
    Maybe there is a way to edit it some other way?
    Other than that I am very pleased with the VEP7. Much more stable than the VEP6 here on Windows 10 and feels quicker too.

16. Dewdman42

Dewdman42 Senior Member

Oct 28, 2016
    It’s not loosing connection. It’s in my cheese grater macpro and has been troublefree for months on vep6

17. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog I'm supposed to be working now.

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a noobie question.

I am currently running VEPro on one computer, but plan to get a second computer later this year.
    Can I buy the second license now and take advantage of the sale?

Also, am I right in that I won't need a second e-licensor?

Thank you!

18. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    No, I haven't.

19. D Halgren

D Halgren Senior Member

May 6, 2017
    Portland, OR
    You will need an e-licensor for each computer that you run a server on.

20. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Yes you can buy it at sale price and use it later (nothing new) and yes you need a second license on a second elicenser for the second computer.