What's new

Studio One 6 is coming!

I've never understood, nor used scale features, surely if you want to compose using certain modes, don't you just play, or write them in..?
For example, you play a glissando for harp and then quantise to an octatonic scale. Sure, you can do it manually, it just takes much longer.

1. I saw that Sound Variations now let you change midi channels, which got me thinking; is there a way to add automation to a single specific note? In a similar vein to how sound variations (probably one of my all-time favourite features) allow you to just right-click a specific note and define an articulation.
99% sure this is not possible. Automation applies to all notes on a track.

2. Is there a way to stop the natural behaviour of Studio One automatically changing tools when you zoom in to a note in really close? The cursor will automatically change to the slice tool when hovering at the bottom of a note, and the listen tool when at the top.
You can't disable Smart MIDI currently - there a feature request though.

Smart MIDI is only available at highest vertical zoom, so a workaround for now would be to not zoom in as much.

3. Is there a way to automatically remember the last drawn note's length and replicate that when drawing/adding another note? I used FL Studio about 10 years ago, and admittedly it's one of my more missed features.

No. However, you can duplicate notes with 'D' and then move them up and down with the arrow keys, which works well for some scenarios.

The scale features of Studio One are subpar imo, compared to those of Live and most DAWs.

Yeah, it's one of those features I wished I just had on the side to help me experiment. I don't have much of a problem picking a scale and sticking to it, but when I'm working with say, the Hungarian minor scale, I tend to trip up just a little. :emoji_sweat_smile:

I've never understood, nor used scale features, surely if you want to compose using certain modes, don't you just play, or write them in..?

Personally speaking, the video game music I'm asked to research and compose tends to expose me to many cultures and oft times also their own musical systems. I like to chart/note the ones I learn, and it's helpful for moments when I need to temporarily modulate.

99% sure this is not possible. Automation applies to all notes on a track.

You can't disable Smart MIDI currently - there a feature request though.

Smart MIDI is only available at highest vertical zoom, so a workaround for now would be to not zoom in as much.

No. However, you can duplicate notes with 'D' and then move them up and down with the arrow keys, which works well for some scenarios.

Bummer, thanks a lot for the answers though. I suppose I'll have to stick to my trusty duplicate hotkey for now!

no, talking about the saved presets. When you drag a saved preset to a new instrument track it opens it in whatever engine you saved it in (e.g., Kontakt 6). If i get kontakt 7 i want all these presets to convert to the new kontakt.
My bad. I understand. Unfortunately, I suspect that's not possible, since they're essentially different plugins from S1's perspective. I could be wrong though.

Personally, I have no problem using different Kontakt versions simultaneously for different user presets, precisely because migrating them is a hassle. That said, when I update to Studio One v6, I will migrate all my Instrument+FX presets to the (imo) superior system of Track Presets:

I have started to work in S1 v.6 now and like it a lot. But it looks as if I have come about a shortcoming in this DAW. The other day I needed to automate the ON/OFF value for the arpeggiator (as a MIDI track FX) but that wasn't possible. Can this really be correct?

I have started to work in S1 v.6 now and like it a lot. But it looks as if I have come about a shortcoming in this DAW. The other day I needed to automate the ON/OFF value for the arpeggiator (as a MIDI track FX) but that wasn't possible. Can this really be correct?
Yes, regrettably so. If you duplicate the track (not complete) you can have one with an arp, and one without.

To clarify, totally agree every DAW has it's benefits and shortcomings. No argument there. S1 has plenty of great stuff in it. My point was not regarding the shortcomings though. It was an observation that Presonus has relied on third-party add-ons to address some of those shortcomings (either proactively or passively). And perhaps due to those add-ons, they have hesitated or delayed incorporating that particular functionality into the main app by default. While being a bit confusing to users IMO, that is an ok approach - assuming those add-ons are free. However, once those add-ons now require users to pay above and beyond the standard price of S1 Pro, you enter a trickier territory where certain functionality (which may be validly expected in a DAW by a certain cohort of users) can only be gained via a premium add-on due to the expectation that Presonus will not prioritize adding that functionality into the app by default (due to the existence of the add-on).

And I have no issues with add-ons being paid - IF the scripting interface was actually publicly accessible. However, it is not. I cannot go write my own version of the add-on for example and use it for free or offer it to the market at a lower price (or freely). Given that, there is nothing stopping those people who do have access to the interface and are selling the add-ons to set whatever price they want. $50, $100? There's no competition. So at some point, users are being asked to pay 25%+ premium of the S1 Pro price just to get certain features.
How many of these 'addons' are we talking about?

Yes, regrettably so. If you duplicate the track (not complete) you can have one with an arp, and one without.
Smart, thanks! This will work fine as I already have double track copies addressing the same VEP midi channel. One setup answering to the Divisimate channels and one setup for direct live input.
-
My workaround in the last project was to bounce the arpeggiated parts to new audio tracks and then manually turn off the arpeggiators for the single-note melodies.

no, talking about the saved presets. When you drag a saved preset to a new instrument track it opens it in whatever engine you saved it in (e.g., Kontakt 6). If i get kontakt 7 i want all these presets to convert to the new kontakt.

studio one presets.jpg
I seem to remember when I tried to use S1 presets made using an older version of Kontakt in a new version, it didn't work.

You could always test it out by downloading the K7 player and seeing if copying a few presets over works.

I seem to remember when I tried to use S1 presets made using an older version of Kontakt in a new version, it didn't work.

You could always test it out by downloading the K7 player and seeing if copying a few presets over works.
thanks, yeah i tried it with kontakt 5 to kontakt 6 (importing/loading presets) as a test but doesn't seem doable. Gonna have to upgrade them one at a time i guess. Sigh.

I've written a converter for K5 -> K6 to get my about 300 Kontakt 5 Studio One presets over to K6. Does not work with .instrument files yet (Instrument+FX presets), just the normal .preset files. Maybe I can get it to work with K6 -> K7 and .instrument as well.

I've written a converter for K5 -> K6 to get my about 300 Kontakt 5 Studio One presets over to K6. Does not work with .instrument files yet (Instrument+FX presets), just the normal .preset files. Maybe I can get it to work with K6 -> K7 and .instrument as well.
Oh wow, that would be a lifesaver! (don’t worry not holding you to it 🙂) but man that would be awesome

Opus (and some other VSTis that support Sound Variations out of the box, like Synchron Player and Spitfire's sample player) already reports its Sound Variations to the DAW so they're read-only.

Top Bottom