What's new

Studio One 6 is coming!

To clarify, totally agree every DAW has it's benefits and shortcomings. No argument there. S1 has plenty of great stuff in it. My point was not regarding the shortcomings though. It was an observation that Presonus has relied on third-party add-ons to address some of those shortcomings (either proactively or passively). And perhaps due to those add-ons, they have hesitated or delayed incorporating that particular functionality into the main app by default. While being a bit confusing to users IMO, that is an ok approach - assuming those add-ons are free. However, once those add-ons now require users to pay above and beyond the standard price of S1 Pro, you enter a trickier territory where certain functionality (which may be validly expected in a DAW by a certain cohort of users) can only be gained via a premium add-on due to the expectation that Presonus will not prioritize adding that functionality into the app by default (due to the existence of the add-on).

And I have no issues with add-ons being paid - IF the scripting interface was actually publicly accessible. However, it is not. I cannot go write my own version of the add-on for example and use it for free or offer it to the market at a lower price (or freely). Given that, there is nothing stopping those people who do have access to the interface and are selling the add-ons to set whatever price they want. $50, $100? There's no competition. So at some point, users are being asked to pay 25%+ premium of the S1 Pro price just to get certain features.
I guess since this is also a feature I don’t use often it doesn’t hit me as hard as it does for others. I installed the color toolbar but ultimately rarely used it in my workflow.

I can see the discomfit in the way things are especially if you felt the feature was important to your workflow. The pricing of those features is another issue as I imagine upkeep of those features comes with cost and even 3rd party options shouldn’t be expected to keep stability and new functionality coming without compensation for time and effort.

I suppose I see less issue with the cost of studio one + 3rd party add ons if looking at it as a business expense. Cost vs value. The add ons are a business expense, and so long as the value of studio one and these add ons is great enough to allow me to do my job and make up for the cost of these tools, it all breaks even.

Can I ask, does it not feel like presonus is providing value equivalent to their asking price in your kind?

Can I ask, does it not feel like presonus is providing value equivalent to their asking price in your kind?
Well the nice thing about Presonus, at least going by history, is they add a lot of updates for each major release version throughout its lifecycle. I upgraded to v6 with that in mind. Am I getting enough value for it right now? Not particularly - it has too many workflow shortcomings for me personally that I've highlighted elsewhere. So much so that it made it frustratingly slow to work with compared to Logic and Cubase (which is where I do most of my work now). But of course, YMMV.

If you are ok with also paying for premium add-ons in addition to Studio One, then that's all good! The expense doesn't particularly impact me - I was just observing a potential extra cost going forward for users of S1 and it'll be interesting to see how Presonus either adopts or doesn't adopt similar functionality into the main app.

Templates aren't saving for me in V6.

Or rather, they're saving, but when I start a new song with one, it's blank, like the default template.

I still wish they had implemented correct playback of dynamics in the score editor. Now only velocity based instruments follow the dynamics as written.
I really like Dorico for its notation and playback options, getting even better with the next update, but large scores tend to become sluggish, at least on my system, even with the instruments hosted in VE pro. Studio One doesn't really slow down with large scores

Yes, "soon". I can't give a more specific date, but definitely soon. Personally, I'd wait instead of doing the Sphere month.

It was indeed soon, thanks for the advice! I'll check out the demo and probably buy the Artist version after.

I figured out why none of the templates were loading, and also presets were loading very slowly.

I use an alias for the 'Songs' folder so I can keep all my music from different DAWs in the same place. V6 doesn't like this and causes problems.

I was hoping 6.0.1 would my issue with Studio One not closing dow. It freezes, becomes unresponsive and I need to kill it (MacOS, M1). I am seeing this happen always with VE Pro instances. This never happened with V5 though. Has anybody else been experienced this?

Check your plugins almost always things like this are due to a bad plugin
Yeah, maybe, but this does not happen in S1 5.x or Cubase 12.0.xx. Hunting through every VSTi and effect plugin isn't exactly fun ... but might be the only option to find out.

Just a heads up. Check your email, I took another Presonus Survey. It was asked my favorite features, what other products do I use (Arturia Effx, UAD Spark ex), is studio one my primary daw, what hardware do I use (uad, presonus). Lastly, I did see a question asking do you own any Fender gear?

My question about the Fender gear. I'm trying to figure out what are Presonus/Fender going to come out with outside of guitar related products? I'm a drummer/trumpet player. Not really interested in playing guitar. Fender has no experience in the market's Presonus does like mixers/controllers/speakers. Fender has a $3000 turntable, PA Speakers (I think). Is anybody going to really buy that?

Also, the old survey I took weeks ago asked about the atom. I think something about an ios app (sample one/impact). I think....

One thing I love about Cubase's MixConsole is the ability to instantly switch between layouts. I often use my StreamDeck to toggle between different instruments or track types (for example, display all Drums, display all Buses, display all FX channels etc) to save scrolling through to find tracks.

Can Studio One do this at all, i.e. assigning a keyboard shortcut or macro to hide/show various channels or track types?

Loving Studio One 6 so far!

I have a few long-time questions about the midi editor/piano roll since I use this feature the most as a video game composer and I'm curious to see how Presonus continue to expand on it.

1. I saw that Sound Variations now let you change midi channels, which got me thinking; is there a way to add automation to a single specific note? In a similar vein to how sound variations (probably one of my all-time favourite features) allow you to just right-click a specific note and define an articulation.

2. Is there a way to stop the natural behaviour of Studio One automatically changing tools when you zoom in to a note in really close? The cursor will automatically change to the slice tool when hovering at the bottom of a note, and the listen tool when at the top.

Hovering over the middle lets me click-drag as usual, but I'll be honest, my dexterity isn't that refined when I'm trying to work quickly! While this dynamic tool changing is handy in some situations, it becomes a hindrance when I'm trying to click-drag more time-reliant parts of my compositions. I'd much prefer it to be a toggle.

3. Is there a way to automatically remember the last drawn note's length and replicate that when drawing/adding another note? I used FL Studio about 10 years ago, and admittedly it's one of my more missed features.

4. Are there any plans to extend the scale functionality in the piano roll? Seems to be missing some of the modes (Lydian, Locrian!). I'd also like to define/add my own as I frequently experiment in some rather niche scales.

Not only that, but I'd really like it if the scale highlight feature went across the piano roll instead of just at the tips of the keys. It's kind of difficult to see when you have to keep scanning your eyes left-to-right for reference.

Cheers!

New random question of the day.

i’ve been working on a massive amount of kontakt presets in Studio One 5. I will be upgrading to Studio One 6 soon. And upgrading to Kontakt 7 at some point. Is there any way to easily transfer all the kontakt 6 presets to kontakt 7 in Studio One? Or do I need to start from scratch?😩

Loving Studio One 6 so far!

I have a few long-time questions about the midi editor/piano roll since I use this feature the most as a video game composer and I'm curious to see how Presonus continue to expand on it.

1. I saw that Sound Variations now let you change midi channels, which got me thinking; is there a way to add automation to a single specific note? In a similar vein to how sound variations (probably one of my all-time favourite features) allow you to just right-click a specific note and define an articulation.

2. Is there a way to stop the natural behaviour of Studio One automatically changing tools when you zoom in to a note in really close? The cursor will automatically change to the slice tool when hovering at the bottom of a note, and the listen tool when at the top.

Hovering over the middle lets me click-drag as usual, but I'll be honest, my dexterity isn't that refined when I'm trying to work quickly! While this dynamic tool changing is handy in some situations, it becomes a hindrance when I'm trying to click-drag more time-reliant parts of my compositions. I'd much prefer it to be a toggle.

3. Is there a way to automatically remember the last drawn note's length and replicate that when drawing/adding another note? I used FL Studio about 10 years ago, and admittedly it's one of my more missed features.

4. Are there any plans to extend the scale functionality in the piano roll? Seems to be missing some of the modes (Lydian, Locrian!). I'd also like to define/add my own as I frequently experiment in some rather niche scales.

Not only that, but I'd really like it if the scale highlight feature went across the piano roll instead of just at the tips of the keys. It's kind of difficult to see when you have to keep scanning your eyes left-to-right for reference.

Cheers!
The scale features of Studio One are subpar imo, compared to those of Live and most DAWs.

Top Bottom