What's new

Spitfire Audio “This is London Calling” - BBC Symphony Orchestra

I believe it may point to a formal agreement with the Beeb going forward. The reference to 'Pirates' is a callback to the time when pirate radio stations eventually became part of the BBC - all the DJs from Radio Caroline moving to BBC Radio One etc. It would be a very Spitfire thing to do.
Yep, I agree. Here's my prediction:

What It Is:
I think it's Spitfire's new flagship orchestral collection, featuring the BBCSO recorded at Maida Vale. We've covered that idea in detail already but I think there's more to be guessed.

It's almost certainly a SF player affair, as grabbed and tweaked from the teaser:

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 17.25.08.png

Why the full orchestra? It's hyped as the "biggest announcement to date" and we've already had "strings only" via HZ strings. I think maybe it's time for a pricey new "halo product" - the next generation of orchestra. This would tie in with CH's comments that it's "not for everyone"...it's a wallet destroyer and would serve as a new chapter for Spitfire, much like the BML. We'll see strings next week, the rest to follow.

Releasing a new halo collection would also allow Spitfire to reduce the price of the existing Air Symphony Orchestra into a mid tier product, opening it up to a new market, perhaps jettisoning Masse along the way. This would be pretty big news.

Like @VinRice I'm also betting that the development of this collection has been some sort of joint effort between the BBC, BBCSO, Spitfire and perhaps some other "names" in the classical music world. Produced by Spitfire, engineered by the BBC and even conducted/directed by a well known veteran. There may be a "preservation" angle to this considering the impending closure and demolition of Maida Vale - a joint funded venture between BBC Arts and Spitfire with a goal to "keep the history and sound of Maida Vale alive in future recordings."

What about more future products? Maida Vale has a rich recording history and several sound stages. Spitfire might be announcing and entire "Maida Vale" line in association with the BBC, where the orchestra is just the start. Imagine drums and guitars sampled with John Peel's classic studio setup.

I reckon this all squares with the teasers, Twitter and vlogs. Of course, I could be completely off the mark. It wouldn't be the first time.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Yep, I agree. Here's my prediction:

What It Is:
I think it's Spitfire's new flagship orchestral collection, featuring the BBCSO recorded at Maida Vale. We've covered that idea in detail already but I think there's more to be guessed.

It's almost certainly a SF player affair, as grabbed and tweaked from the teaser:

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 17.25.08.png

Why the full orchestra? It's hyped as the "biggest announcement to date" and we've already had "strings only" via HZ strings. I think maybe it's time for a pricey new "halo product" - the next generation of orchestra. This would tie in with CH's comments that it's "not for everyone"...it's a wallet destroyer and would serve as a new chapter for Spitfire, much like the BML. We'll see strings next week, the rest to follow.

Releasing a new halo collection would also allow Spitfire to reduce the price of the existing Air Symphony Orchestra into a mid tier product, opening it up to a new market, perhaps jettisoning Masse along the way. This would be pretty big news.

Like @VinRice I'm also betting that the development of this collection has been some sort of joint effort between the BBC, BBCSO, Spitfire and perhaps some other "names" in the classical music world. Produced by Spitfire, engineered by the BBC and even conducted/directed by a well known veteran. There may be a "preservation" angle to this considering the impending closure and demolition of Maida Vale - a joint funded venture between BBC Arts and Spitfire with a goal to "keep the history and sound of Maida Vale alive in future recordings."

What about more future products? Maida Vale has a rich recording history and several sound stages. Spitfire might be announcing and entire "Maida Vale" line in association with the BBC, where the orchestra is just the start. Imagine drums and guitars sampled with John Peel's classic studio setup.

I reckon this all squares with the teasers, Twitter and vlogs. Of course, I could be completely off the mark. It wouldn't be the first time.

Thoughts?

I totally agree with you @Alex Fraser and @VinRice, as I've been thinking along the same lines, especially since CH’s pirate radio hint. For sure this is the buccaneer Spitfire crew coming aboard the Beeb mothership, although the extent of the collaboration remains to be seen; Auntie Beeb is not historically prone to giving away the shop to all comers. Also, remember CH got himself an “in” with the BBC via his Radio 3 appearance a few weeks back, and his thespian family has a long history with the Beeb luvvies. Something in my seaweed also tells me that beyond a bold new orchestral library (“those sul tastos”) there will be some historical aspect to this. We shall see...

Last edited:
Ah, OK. Several pages back I was speculating it would be the full LSO right down to the dude who turns out the lights in the hall. Being a clueless American, I didn't realize there was also a BBCSO (I know, I know...). So that's a possibility.

Hmmmm, my money is still on LSO AND, before the world loses him, John Williams conducting it all, every last articulation with the worlds best legato samples. You want to recreate Star Wars? Ba da BING, it can't get any closer to that, sitting on an SSD.

SPITFIRE AUDIO PRESENTS, in a galaxy right here, next Wednesday...

STAR WARS

Well, OK, actually the conductor, the orchestra, the hall and mercy sakes alive you'd better order a 4TB SSD because the massive London onslaught unleashes in 5 days...

Just for the record, I'd buy that so fast it would be downloading before the PayPal confirmation page refreshes...

Ah, OK. Several pages back I was speculating it would be the full LSO right down to the dude who turns out the lights in the hall. Being a clueless American, I didn't realize there was also a BBCSO (I know, I know...). So that's a possibility.

Hmmmm, my money is still on LSO AND, before the world loses him, John Williams conducting it all, every last articulation with the worlds best legato samples. You want to recreate Star Wars? Ba da BING, it can't get any closer to that, sitting on an SSD.

SPITFIRE AUDIO PRESENTS, in a galaxy right here, next Wednesday...

STAR WARS

Well, OK, actually the conductor, the orchestra, the hall and mercy sakes alive you'd better order a 4TB SSD because the massive London onslaught unleashes in 5 days...

John Williams in 87, and he was supposed to conduct his first UK concert in over two decades at the Royal Albert Hall with the LSO last October 26th. I know this because I was there.

Unfortunately, he was taken ill in London, and was flown home and another conductor Dirk Brosse stepped up to the baton - I don't see a return visit on the horizon.

Frankly, what on earth would an artist of his stature and advanced years want to do with creating a sample library......a tedious, time consuming and exhausting procedure at the best of times....

I've a feeling its the the SSO they've been promising for this year.... Or possibly they have bought into a recording venue like VSL have with Synchron....

Last edited:
I was kind of thinking that the sampling was being worked on in the past and they are announcing the availability. But how would he keep up that grueling schedule, true... actually it's more just having fun. I don't have a clue what SFA is doing, lol.

Up until next Thursday, I think the people who make samples have been kinda the pirate radio of sound creation, really. And from Thursday, that changes.

WTH does that mean????

Pirate radio or a pirate radio station is a radio station that broadcasts without a valid license.

Ok, so is he saying that SFA are going to change the entire industry?

Anyone want to try and read into that?

No idea what that could possibly mean.

But it makes me think of Bill Nightly for some reason.

<don't have any Spitfire stuff so don't really care but am mildly curious>

They talk about a price and downloading something, so it's some kind of product they want you buy. Subscription has been done by EastWest, as has having a custom sampler (Play). Otherwise no idea.

WTH does that mean????

Pirate radio or a pirate radio station is a radio station that broadcasts without a valid license.

Ok, so is he saying that SFA are going to change the entire industry?

Anyone want to try and read into that?
I think it is hinting at a move to partner with an existing major player (like for example The Beeb as has been suggested by some in this thread). The Pirate radio reference goes back to the UK of 40+ years ago and small scale DIY operations when mainstream wasn’t providing what was wanted. Punk played into that ethos too. Underground. Alternative. Pick your adjective.

Last edited:
I wasn't really intending to jump in on this one, but Christian did camera over a planning board...

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 7.04.44 PM.png

There was a lot of interesting stuff visible on that board, but I couldn't make any sense of it into a whole. It does feed my desire to work at Spitfire, though.

You can bet your life CH told everyone in that dev room in advance that he was going in to film his vlog, despite how spontaneous and unannounced his arrival seems. They would have been asked to hide anything related to Wednesday’s announcement.

Christian just retweeted this:

@chensonmusic did psneurope.com leak your big announcement? "Composer Alev Lenz releases new album and sample library bundle with SA Recordings"

Containing this link:

Extract:

The 3 sample library features an interactive album element as well as unique sounds inspired by Lenz’s work as a composer. This is the first in a series of products tied in with SA album releases, focused on releasing artist-led libraries for music fans and music makers to create with.

The bundle that can be pre-ordered features the sample library, a limited edition 12-inch gatefold vinyl and digital download. The first 100 bundle orders will include a signed copy of the vinyl. The album bundle can be pre-ordered here.

Alev Lenz will release her third album 3 on September 27, 2019 via SA Recordings (Bespoke 12” & Digital Formats).

It gets curiouser and curiouser!

EDIT: Some info was tweeted by SA Recordings 2 days ago (not sure if that was posted here?):

Last edited:
Maybe it’s a massive new orchestral sampling project, BBC or whatever, but the user can pick their own samples/instrumentation/articulations from a vast array comprising everything imaginable, and add to it as and when they require, with the price being calculated automatically at check out.

Top Bottom