What's new

Ryzen 3000 Vs I9 9900K for music production

I went Intel 9900k and am very happy. System is a beast and I don't even come close to taxing it.
All I did was turn on XMP for memory and that was it.
It just works.
Here is my build:

GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE Gigabyte (Intel LGA1151/Z390/ATX/2xM.2/Thunderbolt 3/Onboard AC Wifi/12+1 Phases Digital Vrm/Motherboard)

Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0 GHz Turbo unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W

Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit

CORSAIR RMX Series, RM850x, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply

CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD Solid State Storage, Up to 3,480MB/s

Fractal Design Case FD-CA-DEF-R6C-BKO (USB C Version, no glass doors)

I purchased almost the exact same parts earlier today - I was trying to wait until the 3950x came out and then decide, but my computer is crashing more often and was in a boot loop on and off for 10 minutes this morning. I honestly don't know if my computer will last another month or whatnot, let alone another week. So I ordered what I KNOW will be great... even if it'll be outdated in a month. What can you do? It's tech! I've had the bones of my current computer for 7 years and it's only within the last one that it's starting to feel old. i5 3570K overclocked to 4.3GHz (and going down) with 16GB RAM.

Minor differences in what I bought, planning to put it together next weekend:

Corsair LPX 64gb C15 (4x16)
Noctua D15S (can always add another fan)
Samsung M2 1TB

I'll re-use my 970GTX GPU for now as I'm out of $$.

I played with the ASRock X470 Server Board and a 3700X last night and it’s a server board so no overclocking but this is one of the retail chips, not a binned chip and it’s performance was similar to my i7 4790k CPUs.

My only tests are latency, noticeable or not by touch/MIDI, or audio, and high polyphony with heavy sustain which only PTeq and Kontakt allow.

But even with 6 and 7 way EPiano and Acoustic Piano layers the CPU didn’t gag once and looks to be a great CPU even for locked Core synths that I use.

I don’t need to build anything but pretty sure my next build will be the 3700X because I need low heat which most CPUs do if you don’t overclock, and the 3200 RAM is pretty cheap.

But this 65 watt CPU in a 1U Chassis runs so cool I can set my loud ass triple Barrel fans on silent, which isn’t silent, but as quiet as they get.

If folks really need extra horsepower I’d get the 3800X and the 3700 DDR that is the sweet spot for RAM.

Other great news, while these Trade Tariffs haven’t hit home yet, Taiwan is stepping up with 24/7 manufacturing for more Boards and RAM.
The ASRock Server Board was 475 bucks earlier this year and they’re dropping by 30% just this month.

Curious as to why you like to go with server boards.

I went Intel 9900k and am very happy. System is a beast and I don't even come close to taxing it.
All I did was turn on XMP for memory and that was it.
It just works.
Here is my build:

GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE Gigabyte (Intel LGA1151/Z390/ATX/2xM.2/Thunderbolt 3/Onboard AC Wifi/12+1 Phases Digital Vrm/Motherboard)

Intel Core i9-9900K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.0 GHz Turbo unlocked LGA1151 300 Series 95W

Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans

Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit

CORSAIR RMX Series, RM850x, 850 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply

CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 M.2 SSD Solid State Storage, Up to 3,480MB/s

Fractal Design Case FD-CA-DEF-R6C-BKO (USB C Version, no glass doors)

Wow, I'm building a new slave and I have exactly the same parts except for the motherboard (ASUS PRIME X2990A) and 128GB of ram. Enjoy your new beast! :thumbsup:

Curious as to why you like to go with server boards.

Shorter traces because there’s no blinking light shows, no gamer gunk.
Plus the Quality Control at least @ Supermicro ASRock Asus and Tyan is like Intel use to do when they sold motherboards.
I still have an 875 Mobo with no audio, and that was fantastic with an 8600 Wolfdale Core Duo CPU.

Plus you’ll notice most have Perpendicular DIMMs meaning front intake fans to cool the DRAM then exit the rear of the Rackmounted Chassis.

I’m still using these live, and you get to avoid slower Xeons and use faster chips and CPUs, so it’s the best of both worlds with ASRock boards.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=Z97M WS#Specifications

Not saying Xeons suck, they don’t.
I just like faster chips and a no frills motherboard that fits in a 1U Chassis.

F93C3C2D-3832-4D08-9A58-792DB7FB47C5.jpeg

Shorter traces because there’s no blinking light shows, no gamer gunk.
Plus the Quality Control at least @ Supermicro ASRock Asus and Tyan is like Intel use to do when they sold motherboards.
I still have an 875 Mobo with no audio, and that was fantastic with an 8600 Wolfdale Core Duo CPU.

Plus you’ll notice most have Perpendicular DIMMs meaning front intake fans to cool the DRAM then exit the rear of the Rackmounted Chassis.

I’m still using these live, and you get to avoid slower Xeons and use faster chips and CPUs, so it’s the best of both worlds with ASRock boards.

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=Z97M WS#Specifications

Not saying Xeons suck, they don’t.
I just like faster chips and a no frills motherboard that fits in a 1U Chassis.

F93C3C2D-3832-4D08-9A58-792DB7FB47C5.jpeg

That's what I thought. I usually get the lower price boards for the same reason.

Last edited:
Only difference is the quality of the PCB that’s made with some composites for withstanding heat better, especially Supermicro boards.
I had 2 ASRock Extreme 6 boards that I beat up and they lasted 2 years as I’m pretty tough on PC Peripherals.
Since I went to a 1U and server boards I’ve never had a single issue and they’re 5/6 years old and still work.
To avoid any issues though I rotate them out after 3 years and turn them into spares.

My 9900K system (I wanted to wait for AMD to settle down and the 3950x to come out, but my old computer had other ideas) is up and functional. Got the hardware all assembled one entire evening, and am still working on installing and re-licensing/enabling all the software and plugins as I'd decided I wanted to start fresh on this computer and not clone the old boot drive like in the past. I have another case fan to purchase and the Fractal R6 comes with 3 fans, not 2 (oops) - I'm replacing them with Noctua fans. Still have a few hardware bits to transfer in to the new one, but I'm pausing while performing some backups. Last of all will come some modest overclocking. And some video encoding or something to really try out all those threads.

I can say that, already, just in regular usage tasks, it's FAST. My hope is by tomorrow or so to be trying out music.

Noctua D15S (1 fan... might add another or reuse a 120mm noctua from the old computer)
Gigabyte Designare
64 GB (16x4) C15 Corsair RAM
Fractal R6 USB-C case
1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME + a couple Samsung SSDs and even, for now, a 1TB WD Blue
Nvidia GTX 970 (look to replace it next year)
Corsair RMX 850 PSU

My 9900K system (I wanted to wait for AMD to settle down and the 3950x to come out, but my old computer had other ideas) is up and functional. Got the hardware all assembled one entire evening, and am still working on installing and re-licensing/enabling all the software and plugins as I'd decided I wanted to start fresh on this computer and not clone the old boot drive like in the past. I have another case fan to purchase and the Fractal R6 comes with 3 fans, not 2 (oops) - I'm replacing them with Noctua fans. Still have a few hardware bits to transfer in to the new one, but I'm pausing while performing some backups. Last of all will come some modest overclocking. And some video encoding or something to really try out all those threads.

I can say that, already, just in regular usage tasks, it's FAST. My hope is by tomorrow or so to be trying out music.

Noctua D15S (1 fan... might add another or reuse a 120mm noctua from the old computer)
Gigabyte Designare
Fractal R6 USB-C case
1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME + a couple Samsung SSDs and even, for now, a 1TB WD Blue
Corsair RMX 850 PSU

Congrats on the new build!

I've never felt a need to replace Fractal Design fans. I just fix them on low speed (as all other fans in my master PC) and they are inaudible to me. Are you finding much better performance of noctua case fans?
I could use lower temps for sure, I'm idlling ~45C with 7820x... for the sake of total silence ofc (noctua fans with low rpm adapters, case fans on minimum rpm as well, gpu fans OFF under 60C).

Looks like a great system. Make sure to max out the case fans. More fans running at slower speed will translate to cooler and quieter. With that Noctua CPU cooler you should consider overclocking the cpu. I think there should be a fairly basic setting in the bios to do an all core overclock without having to do too much tweaking similar to enabling XMP. You should easily get as close to a 5GHZ all core clock with an i9 9900K. Overclocking the 9900k is the only reason I would consider that cpu over Ryzen right now. Well, that and the fact that there are more options for Z390 motherboards. I would have easily gone Gigabyte on X570 if they would have supported Thunderbolt but oddly they don't on their X570 boards right now. My older rig has a rock solid Gigabyte board that's still chugging away and even though it's one of the lower end Gigabyte boards I was still able to get a good stable 4.3Ghz overclock on an Intel 4770k without breaking a sweat. I have not doubt I could have gone 4.6Ghz if I had one of their medium to higher end boards.

I kind of left everything stock and the only change I made was turn on XMP for memory. It seems my CPU is running at 4.9Ghz so I'm not sure how that happened, but I'll take it ! :)

I didn't play with C-States, Turbo etc like I did with my 4790k. I figured I'd try things out of the box and see how things went. So far so good!

Core temps aren't even breaking a sweat, they sit at about 82 deg F and I have all the Fractal fans connected in stock mode. So I haven't played with them either. I don't even hear them.

Overall, I'm very happy with this build.

Congrats on the new build!

I've never felt a need to replace Fractal Design fans. I just fix them on low speed (as all other fans in my master PC) and they are inaudible to me. Are you finding much better performance of noctua case fans?
I could use lower temps for sure, I'm idlling ~45C with 7820x... for the sake of total silence ofc (noctua fans with low rpm adapters, case fans on minimum rpm as well, gpu fans OFF under 60C).

Much difference? Well, I didn't compare :) I still have one Fractal fan in there. The Fractal fans, if I remember right, are something like 2db quieter, but the Noctua fans I have move more air. I might just leave it as is, depending on how temps go. I have 1 Noctua on the top front and then one in back (plus the one on the giant CPU cooler). The Fractal is in front below the Noctua. I think the main thing I want to do is get PWM cable extensions and try to NOT use the fan controller built into the case as that's currently plugged into the CPU Alt fan slot, so when the CPU ramps, the fans ramp - which is more/inconsistent noise than it needs to be.

I still aim to overclock a little after I get things settled. Also, it seems my Corsair keyboard for some reason is stuck in some "boot loader" mode and the keys are no longer backlit and there's no fix. Guess I'll be replacing all my old computer gear at this rate. After all, it's just $$$$ right? Ugh.

EDIT: Fixed my keyboard - took a couple hours to figure it out. Overclocked to 5Ghz on all 8 cores, which is all I wanted.

Last edited:

Gigabyte Designare
Fractal R6 USB-C case
Corsair RMX 850 PSU

Wht? It's still a great card in an inflated market.

I'm building a new DAW machine with a 3700X and a B450 Gigabyte mobo. I'll post the complete specs and some results in a couple of days.

I'm surprised everyone here is comparing the 3700X with the 9900K. I live in Mexico and here the 9900K is about 50% more expensive.

I was actually considering either the 9600K or the 9700K but from all benchmarks I've seen the 3700X is the winner here in performance (and cost).

If you use the computer for more than a DAW, and you like to use long effect chains on a track, the 9900k is excellent - especially at 5ghz per core. Those are big reasons I did, anyway. My old computer started dying a couple months ago or I’d have waited for the 3950x, though.

Is the 9900k 50% better? No, probably not. Lots of good choices available now, thanks to AMD (and the pressure on Intel).

It's pretty incredible seeing this sudden turn around from AMD as they are completely demolishing Intel right now on benchmarks with their new processors and Intel has no response at this point other than dropping their own prices to compete.

Sadly the 3950X was delayed till November. Still waiting on more information.

Are you testing the newly released 3950x ?
The linus tech tips review was GLOWING on the 3950X. Can't wait to see it up against the i9's for DAWBench. But the chips are (going to be) hard to come by for a while.
Tops out at 128GB Ram - so threadripper still has a place for large ram machines... and only 20pcie lanes - but for most audio applications, I think this could be a really exciting middle ground for some solid machines.

Good lord 128GB of RAM and 20 PCIe lanes is middle ground?

:eek:
not for home desktops, but for workstations.....yeah it is. At least as far as AMD and Intel thinks about things. New mac pro's can have 1.5TB of Ram... and even X299 mother boards are able to have 256GB ram. And as for PCIe lanes... Cascade Lake X have at least double (40+) and threadripper at least that as well. Workstations today really can be incredible machines... not always great for gaming, and not as good for DAW work as they once were. However, with the right setup / cpu, they *can* be incredible.

Top Bottom