Ryzen 3000 Vs I9 9900K for music production

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
I'm building a new DAW machine with a 3700X and a B450 Gigabyte mobo. I'll post the complete specs and some results in a couple of days.

I'm surprised everyone here is comparing the 3700X with the 9900K. I live in Mexico and here the 9900K is about 50% more expensive.

I was actually considering either the 9600K or the 9700K but from all benchmarks I've seen the 3700X is the winner here in performance (and cost).
I always run across fellow performers that use laptops or towers, some have racks and one chap I worked opposite of at the CalState Fair in Merced wanted an open frame rack like mine so I’ve helped him with a side to side ventilated 1U ATX chassis.
Spared no money, bought the 3733MHz CAS 16 DDR4 and ASRock X570, and the AMD 3800X.

Zebra2 and Diva each have 2 instances running, 4 Instances of Kontakt, 4 of PLAY, PianoTeq, B5 and a Rhodes using UVI, then a custom looper made in Bidule and ReLabs RHall and all mixed in a Harrison VST Mixer.

Impressive timings using an RME PCI-e based interface @48k/64/1.7msec.

I think I’ve found my next build.
The myth of 8 Cores not able to run the timings I like might apply to Intel CPU’s but not to the AMD 3800X.

I still want to see what the i3/5/7/9 10,000 Series CPUs have at CES 2020.
But if they still are pushing out 14nm CPUs and their latency/timings on 6/8 Cores hasn’t changed the Ryzen 3800X will be in my chassis.

Current i7 4790K will become a spare with extra parts as I build 2 x AMD Live rigs.

FWIW This was running at stock 3.8GHz.
Most Ryzens can do 400MHz boost on all core’s but with higher temps.
3.8GHz on AMD’s is fine from what I’ve seen.

Last edited:

Pictus

I still want to see what the i3/5/7/9 10,000 Series CPUs have at CES 2020.
In 2020 AMD will bring another kick in Intel ass, the ZEN 3 architecture...

Intel may have a response in 2021...
The new Intel Ice Lake/Cascade Lake CPUs are already flawed... :eek:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_execution_CPU_vulnerabilities

This test is already outdated(9 October 2019), as time goes by the Intel CPUs are getting slower
because of the new fixes...

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
Me, a long time Intel user:

#MeToo

But their CEO just wasted so much time on 10nm, knew it was failing yet kept trying to tell us next week, next month, next year, etc.

I’m reading they can’t even meet demand without 3rd Party Fabs.
So much for QC.

Last time I used AMD was after they bought Alpha and Tyan had those dual Athlon MP CPU’s.

Looks like AMD gets my money again.

Damarus

#MeToo

But their CEO just wasted so much time on 10nm, knew it was failing yet kept trying to tell us next week, next month, next year, etc.

I’m reading they can’t even meet demand without 3rd Party Fabs.
So much for QC.

Last time I used AMD was after they bought Alpha and Tyan had those dual Athlon MP CPU’s.

Looks like AMD gets my money again.
To add to all that.. I get nearly half off select Intel CPUs because a family member works for them.

FEELING CONFLICTED

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
To add to all that.. I get nearly half off select Intel CPUs because a family member works for them.

FEELING CONFLICTED
Friend of mine gets a similar deal but they say it’s cost and 10%.
Im cool with Intel, only pissed when I paid 1050 bucks for 1GHz Coppermine in 1999. But Gigastudio really liked that vrs. my overclocked 200A Celeron running @ 333MHz.

woodslanding

I always run across fellow performers that use laptops or towers, some have racks and one chap I worked opposite of at the CalState Fair in Merced wanted an open frame rack like mine so I’ve helped him with a side to side ventilated 1U ATX chassis.
Spared no money, bought the 3733MHz CAS 16 DDR4 and ASRock X570, and the AMD 3800X.

Zebra2 and Diva each have 2 instances running, 4 Instances of Kontakt, 4 of PLAY, PianoTeq, B5 and a Rhodes using UVI, then a custom looper made in Bidule and ReLabs RHall and all mixed in a Harrison VST Mixer.

Impressive timings using an RME PCI-e based interface @48k/64/1.7msec.

I think I’ve found my next build.
The myth of 8 Cores not able to run the timings I like might apply to Intel CPU’s but not to the AMD 3800X.
Hmm. Just about to put an 8700 build into service, (yeah, I know, I expected to do it quite a few months ago!) but thinking about selling it off. This guy's setup is so analogous to mine, it's a very meaningful benchmark.....

EDIT: I'm only finding one ASROCK MATX 570x board on Amazon, and it has funky reviews. Which mobo did you use?

Last edited:

chimuelo

Star Of Stage & Screen
I’m still on ASRock H97 and Z97 as a spare.
But the ASRock X470 on their ASRockRack site is down to 290.00 now.
I figure it will keep going down in price as everyone thinks PCI 4 will somehow change their workflow. By summertime even the 450 dollar boards at the rack site might be half of that.
There’s 2 x X470s on that site that are mATX and even have the ASPEED AT2500 GFX chips onboard so no need on die GPU or a GFX Card.
Most guys don’t realize with those onboard chips you save lots of watts and boot quicker as the system is integrated really well.