What's new

Ryan Leach April 2024 Composing Competition

I've finished a draft for this and I can't bring myself to submit it. I don't know if it's fear of disappointment or that I've finished this early for the first time in a competition. Have other people already finished and I'm over thinking it or is it way too early?

I've finished a draft for this and I can't bring myself to submit it. I don't know if it's fear of disappointment or that I've finished this early for the first time in a competition. Have other people already finished and I'm over thinking it or is it way too early?
You're definitely overthinking it, but I empathize with all of those feelings. Post here (or DM) for feedback if you want some other ears on it :)

@swinkler @Ben Bytehugger and @dyross thank you so much for your feedback. I have submitted it! I really appreciate the encouragement.

I finished mine yesterday, but still hestistate to post it because of the unsure copyright situation of the picture...
Yeah, I don't know if others have uploaded yet so I'm hoping there isn't any issues! But I did cite where the image is from so I hope that is enough!
Maybe you just make decisions quicker than most ;)
This is the first competition (in the 11 months I've been doing this) I think I've finished this early. Most have been me rushing to meet the deadline or final week submissions, which is probably why I was so hesitant to submit😂

Here's my entry, though i haven't submitted it yet. I keep tinkering with mix and tweaking orchestration here and there.
Love it. I got this dream like feel from it. It feels very John Williams (in terms of the woodwind runs and harp glissandos). I would say though to my ears (maybe just the type of earphones i'm using) the panning in places feels weird. But at the same time I wouldn't say that's a bad thing as it could be attention grabbing as well.

Love it. I got this dream like feel from it. It feels very John Williams (in terms of the woodwind runs and harp glissandos). I would say though to my ears (maybe just the type of earphones i'm using) the panning in places feels weird. But at the same time I wouldn't say that's a bad thing as it could be attention grabbing as well.
Thank you. Appreciate the feedback and listening in the first place. I may have fixed the panning and you're the second person to point it out so thank you for that.

So this is my entry:

"Old Stories Told"

Was real fun to work on it, i hope it's fun to listen :)
Feedback is appreciated and very welcome!

Again a very dream like feel. But this one sounds like a flash back sequence at the start of a story. So great job in nailing that reflective feel. It is a slow burner which I think you've purposely done as part of your story telling, but also I think you could have come in a little bit bigger on that waltz section. The crescendo was there so I was expecting a big drop, then it was kind of muted.

Having said all that, love the playing with the different time signatures, love the very regal feel (without brass too which is awesome!) and it's one of those pieces I genuinely feel like if it was played by real instruments in real life would sound so majestic. I can hear a virtuoso cellist/violinist carrying that melody. Great work!

So this is my entry:

"Old Stories Told"

Was real fun to work on it, i hope it's fun to listen :)
Feedback is appreciated and very welcome!

Nice writing. I like the waltz quite a bit. I do think a restatement of the waltz with full orchestra would have been a nice way to end the piece, kind of like the ballroom doors open to a scene of dancers on the dance floor or something like that.

I do appreciate the form too as it has some character and portrays a story. Nice job.

Again a very dream like feel. But this one sounds like a flash back sequence at the start of a story. So great job in nailing that reflective feel. It is a slow burner which I think you've purposely done as part of your story telling, but also I think you could have come in a little bit bigger on that waltz section. The crescendo was there so I was expecting a big drop, then it was kind of muted.

Having said all that, love the playing with the different time signatures, love the very regal feel (without brass too which is awesome!) and it's one of those pieces I genuinely feel like if it was played by real instruments in real life would sound so majestic. I can hear a virtuoso cellist/violinist carrying that melody. Great work!
Thanks alot for your kind words, taking time to listen and the detailed feedback! I really appreciate it! It really kinda has this dreamy/flashback vibe, I was thinking about "What would these walls tell, if they could talk?"

I thought about ending it in grandeur, but in the end I liked the idea to play a little with the expectation - don't know if it was the right decision, but it felt natural while composing 🤷‍♂️

So thank you again for listening 🙏

Nice writing. I like the waltz quite a bit. I do think a restatement of the waltz with full orchestra would have been a nice way to end the piece, kind of like the ballroom doors open to a scene of dancers on the dance floor or something like that.

I do appreciate the form too as it has some character and portrays a story. Nice job.
Thank you for taking time to listen and your feedback! 🙏

I was thinking about repeating the waltz in grandeur, but it felt to pompous to me. The picture has something romantical and magical in my eyes, therefore i tried to keep it calm, but without losing the dynamic. 🤔

Top Bottom