What's new

Ryan Leach April 2024 Composing Competition

And the April competition is finally here!

Aww, the art this time!.. ⭐

More information in Ryan's video below. (New addition to judging criterias)

Deadline: April 30th

Looking forward to new awesome entries from you, guys! :2thumbs:

Thanks again for the heads up!

After my first entry in the Jan competition and seeing how that actually helped me get better with using synths in a cinematic context, looking at the criteria I think this one will definitely help in terms of composition technique.

I'm self taught and in the 10 months of me doing this, comps like this one are not only great tools to push myself, but serve as motivation to write something I wouldn't otherwise think to write.

Hope a lot of people get involved and share their wonderful works as usual!

Last edited:
And the April competition is finally here!

Aww, the art this time!.. ⭐

More information in Ryan's video below. (New addition to judging criterias)

Deadline: April 30th

Looking forward to new awesome entries from you, guys! :2thumbs:

Wow, where do you find all these competitions? :) Anyway - thanks! This is a good workout for our brains. I think that I will participate in this competition.

Maybe that is a dumb question, but how is the legal situation with this picture ? Could I for example put my composition on youtube including this picture ? I mean, we don't have the rights on it, only if we buy it?

@Kerryman You seem pretty good with legal stuff, maybe you could know ?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

Maybe that is a dumb question, but how is the legal situation with this picture ? Could I for example put my composition on youtube including this picture ? I mean, we don't have the rights on it, only if we buy it?

Thanks in advance,
Ben
This is very strange, that we have to pay for this image, because always in the past the images for this contest were for free and for free use for participants. There are tons of entries on Youtube with the pictures included.

Maybe someone could ask Ryan on discord to clarify this situation please?
But I think it should be ok if this image to be used for the contest entry.

Thanks in advance,
Ben
Thanks for the faith in me Ben. I've been around photography and copyright issues for a very, very long time, so I do have some understanding of copyright law, but there are still some grey areas in my knowledge base.

It depends on 2 main issues: 1) What use has the owner of the image allowed, i.e. what license(s) is applied to it? e.g. is it 'creative commons', 'attribution, no derivatives/non-commercial', or 'public domain', etc? If so you're probably OK to share it.

Also, 2) If it's on a social media platform that typically allows and encourages sharing (Facebook, X, Instagram, etc) then the author would probably have to accept that sharing is expected.

If I allow sharing of my images, I put my copyright notice on them and make sure they can be viewed and shared but not printed. So, what format is this image in and is it copyrighted?

A much simpler approach is to have the author or their agent (in this case Ryan) let you know at the start if it can be used.

ALSO, do not assume that you have copyright of an image if you buy it. That is usually NOT the case, you only get a license to use it (and where and how depends on the license).

You only get copyright of an image if 1) you made it or 2) you bought the copyright (not the same as a license to use it.) Copyright buyout of images can run into 5 figure sums, depending on the image.

In summary: It depends, and there's no easy answer. :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the faith in me Ben. I've been around photography and copyright issues for a very, very long time, so I do have some understanding of copyright law, but there are still some grey areas in my knowledge base.

It depends on 2 main issues: 1) What use has the owner of the image allowed, i.e. what license(s) is applied to it? e.g. is it 'creative commons', 'attribution, no derivatives/non-commercial', or 'public domain', etc? If so you're probably OK to share it.

Also, 2) If it's on a social media platform that typically allows and encourages sharing (Facebook, X, Instagram, etc) then the author would probably have to accept that sharing is expected.

If I allow sharing of my images, I put my copyright notice on them and make sure they can be viewed and shared but not printed. So, what format is this image in and is it copyrighted?

A much simpler approach is to have the author or their agent (in this case Ryan) let you know at the start if it can be used.

ALSO, do not assume that you have copyright of an image if you buy it. That is usually NOT the case, you only get a license to use it (and where and how depends on the license).

You only get copyright of an image if 1) you made it or 2) you bought the copyright (not the same as a license to use it.) Copyright buyout of images can run into 5 figure sums, depending on the image.

In summary: It depends, and there's no easy answer. :(
Thx for the detailed insight!
Maybe someone can contact Ryan?
I would love to share my work and add it to my portfolio...

Top Bottom