What's new

Ryan Leach April 2024 Composing Competition

Kept an eye and especially an ear around and I'm quite impressed by the entries.
I also have no time to participate, same for the previous one. I was getting used to these interesting challenges and I already miss it.

3 more months by, here's mine again.

I think this is my favourite one I've heard. For such intimate sounding instruments, you've made a nice aggressive feeling that I enjoy. I can almost imagine it as a folk metal version. I love it. Do you mind sharing the libraries you used here?

Thanks again!! It's very inspire me. Bwt i'm a metal guy:)) I played in a prog metall band recently:) About libraries....here an "ethnic world 6" most of all, but also added turkish oud (Plectra Series 4 - Turkish Oud) and some acoustic guitar sounds.

Thanks again!! It's very inspire me. Bwt i'm a metal guy:)) I played in a prog metall band recently:) About libraries....here an "ethnic world 6" most of all, but also added turkish oud (Plectra Series 4 - Turkish Oud) and some acoustic guitar sounds.
Nice. I had a feeling about metal from your track. I wonder if you would like bands like Wintersun. The folk elements in your track reminds me a lot of his work.

Inspired the beautiful photo, I composed a classical style fanfare.

My piece tells the story of a king attending a celebration. There are festivities, food, musical performers, a church service with people singing praises to the Lord, and trumpeters playing a fanfare.

Being Mont Saint-Michel was built in the high Middle Ages, I decided to use instruments from that period in my piece leading up to the modern age. These include a theorbo lute, harpsichord, viola de-gamba, recorders, trumpets, violin, and orchestra. I composed it in the style of a Christian anthem. My sister, Sophia, played the violin for me. I think she did a lovely job.

Oh boy! Just under the wire as per usual. I was determined to use Dorico for the entirety of this, which was a pretty massive learning curve (especially when already swamped with work). Thanks to @mducharme for the help.

Going to go back and finish/mix this for real in the next week or so, as you can tell in a lot of parts where the playback is wonky. It's all VSL, needs some massaging especially in the brass. But overall pretty happy with the output from notation.

Humbly adding my own entry to this incredible thread:

I just barely submitted it yesterday; life conspired to make the time pressure quite a challenge. But, I'm pretty happy with how it came out and wishing best of luck to everyone else who entered! As I said before, some incredible entries in this thread and some very talented composers in this forum!

(PS - apologies to @peastman for the name similarity...)

I love this one. What did you use for the chorus?
Thanks very much. I used Audio Imperia Chorus for the choirs. There's a few different patches that comes with it. I started off the track on Traditional Choir, and then Energetic Choir for the final section. There's also a slow choir if you want to go more intimate. It's a very versatile library.

Top Bottom