What's new

Play 6 upgrade free?

I got it free when I bought something on their sale during BF. I'm guessing very few went out and actually bought it, so they decided to give it away. Unlike Kontakt, it is not very useful on its own.

I'm pretty sure it was only free as of a couple weeks ago. Prior to that, you got it free if you bought one of the newer libraries that required it (Hollywood Choirs, etc) or subscribed to CC. It was still a bad move to charge for it anyways.

Before I upgrade are there any ways that play 6 is worse than play 5?

I only have HO if that matters.

I don't know why I wasted $29 on it during the past year, it has a few slight enhancements, but I easily could have waited for it to be free! I think somehow I even ended up with two licenses to it. Ah well...free candy..what can you say...

Edit: I was able to go back to Play 5.1. The last restart got it working again.

Anyway, Play 6.1 - the one that's up there - didn't work on my Mac running 10.14.3. Be sure you have good backups

Last edited:
Maybe you're smarter than I am. I installed it and neither Logic nor VE Pro would scan it - and I downloaded it twice.

I restarted and both it and VE Pro had the same opinion.

In any case, I'm back to Play 5.1 and happy.
Yes, I guess it's best to stick with what works for you. But just FYI, I installed Play 6.1 here on my Mac Pro on OS 10.12.6 today and the installation was flawless. Works fine in both Cubase 10.0.15 and Logic 10.4.4, was scanned correctly and no re-booting was required. So I'm guessing the problem you are having is somehow related to your system.

Yes, I guess it's best to stick with what works for you. But just FYI, I installed Play 6.1 here on my Mac Pro on OS 10.12.6 today and the installation was flawless. Works fine in both Cubase 10.0.15 and Logic 10.4.4, was scanned correctly and no re-booting was required. So I'm guessing the problem you are having is somehow related to your system.

Weird.

So the problem was that I had original iLoks on my machine. Play 6 doesn't like them even if the EW licenses aren't on them.

Marc from EW tech support is really, really good.

So the problem was that I had original iLoks on my machine. Play 6 doesn't like them even if the EW licenses aren't on them.

Marc from EW tech support is really, really good.

good to know. i also had one ilok 1st gen and play 6 needed like 10 minutes to load in logic pro x. iam using machine license now for the east west stuff and everything working fine so far.

Top Bottom