What's new

Nucleus legato?

OP
Akarin

Akarin

pragsound.com
Keep in mind the Modern mix is definitely more "hybrid" with the eq and compression (presumed) pre-applied. The classic mix is more realistic... As far as my novice ears go.
Is there a mix comparison anywhere? Didn't find any on AI tech demo tracks.

The legato. The sound is not bad at all. Maybe on the synth-y side of the spectrum.
I think it'd be good if they highlighted the differences more in another demo - the content walkthru seemed to only use Modern (?). They did post a track awhile back that had just a little bit of Classic. Still drenched in their rather nice, albeit limited, on-board reverb.

audioimperia

Hey all. One of my main gripes with Jaeger are the legato bumps. For example, here's an example of Jaeger legato on violins at mid dynamics (followed by the same example using another library):

Could anyone with Nucleus share an example of the naked violins legato? My finger is on the buy button but I don't want to get it if this hasn't been worked on as I believe the samples come from Jaeger.

Thanks!
Hey guys, the examples we've heard so far are on the tighter side (in terms of the sample start settings), which are not intended to be used as final sounds in your mockups. Legato transitions sound MUCH better when choosing a larger sample start value.

Please make sure to check our Sample Start section in our manual (pg. 18), that will provide you with some additional insights about this.

audioimperia

Keep in mind the Modern mix is definitely more "hybrid" with the eq and compression (presumed) pre-applied. The classic mix is more realistic... As far as my novice ears go.
We tried to keep the Modern mix processing as subtle as possible to not interfere with realism. Both mixes are equally realistic, the Modern Mix is just a bit more cinematic. :)

Last edited:

AndyP

Hey guys, the examples we've heard so far are on the tighter side (in terms of the sample start settings), which are not intended to be used as final sounds in your mockups. Legato transitions sound MUCH better when choosing a larger sample start value.

Please make sure to check our Sample Start section in our manual (pg. 18), that will provide you with some additional insights about this.
So I wrote that I use tight for recording and normal for playing. It happened without seeing the manual just by listening.
At first I thought I had something on my ear until I ... have discovered the Sample Start section. ;)

OP
Akarin

Akarin

pragsound.com

As far as Jaeger is concerned, I moved the sample start all the way up and then all the way down: the legato bump is still there and doesn't sound good.

audioimperia

As far as Jaeger is concerned, I moved the sample start all the way up and then all the way down: the legato bump is still there and doesn't sound good.
As Jonathan said, it sounds like vibrato is turned off in the first example. Since the legato samples were recorded with vibrato, this can affect the way they blend with the sustains, especially when playing lower dynamics. Setting vibrato to max should make things sound much smoother

We also did a lot of fine tuning to the legatos and they are indeed smoother in Nucleus. Something that’s coming to Jaeger in the next update. :)

Last edited:
OP
Akarin

Akarin

pragsound.com
As Jonathan said, it sounds like vibrato is turned off in the first example. Since the legato samples were recorded with vibrato, this can affect the way they blend with the sustains, especially when playing lower dynamics. Setting vibrato to max should make things sound much smoother

We also did a lot of fine tuning to the legatos and they are indeed smoother in Nucleus. Something that’s coming to Jaeger in the next update. :)
Next example in this thread is with vib at 100%.

Top Bottom