What's new

Next hardware synth?

Absolutely….i’m a little concerned how the whole ‘mono’ thing will gel with my but we’ll find out .
Yeah - a miss to me. There’s always workarounds, but there’s also something to be said for stereo while playing (or even tracking).

Why did you prefer it vs the Trigon-6 ?
I have neither but have used both in person. The Prophet is the Prophet. If you love that sound you’re in heaven. Big sweet spots. Trigon6 has far more range in terms of what it can do, but the side effect is that it’s easy to go astray. If you’re a synth player the P5/10 is one of the best for that. If you’re a sound designer, the T6 is probably a better choice overall. Something like the X8 is more toward the middle from the Prophet side, and the P6 and OB-6 are more toward the middle from the T6 side.

I know I’d go with the T6, myself, if choosing between the P5/10 and T6 (I have an OB-6).

Last edited:
How's it going with the Taiga? :)

I got myself one for xmas but still waiting for Mr Amazon to deliver.
A gentleman of taste and style! It's going okay. I'm starting from a low level of competence, but I know the basics and don't find it hard to get a large range of the sounds that I'm looking for.

I've just made a version of Jingle Bells with the Taiga and the horns and saxes from Acoustic Samples:

Man, the Prophet 5 IS the ultimate tone beast. And I'm 100% with you on loving big, wide stereo synths, but there are several ways to get that with a Prophet 5. The easiest and best is double tracking it after slightly tweaking the pitch on the second pass. Utterly MASSIVE sounds unlike anything else. I did a video a while back that compares using chorus with double tracking. I used an OB-X8, but it obviously works just as well with any mono synth - especially a Prophet 5.

Of course, sometimes you want that wonderful swirly Juno-type chorus, but double tracking is killer for super-wide soundscapes... even with two slightly different patches!

LOVE IT thanks Jim , P10 is blownin’ my hair back , honestly first synth I’ve owned (Polybrute ,Summit , Take 5) that’s making go ‘WOW THATS some tone right there ‘ lol….ANY sound you make is cool…Nothing like it …So of COURSE now I’m interested in the OTHER ‘tone beast’ synth the OBX8 lol .
I wanna have ‘end game’ instruments,

Haven’t tried one yet….definitely interested in one .
Only several months with both, and equally impressed .... for disparate reasons.
Pianist; constantly struggling with polyphony limitations. Likely to add Prophet 5-10 Voice Expander Card _ + $900..
P10 initiial purchase would weigh heavily when comparing with Trigon 6 ..... polyphony, plus keyboard split /stacking.

Last edited:
More than double tracked...but the Studio Electronics Midimini v30 is fun in stereo as well.
Man, the Prophet 5 IS the ultimate tone beast. And I'm 100% with you on loving big, wide stereo synths, but there are several ways to get that with a Prophet 5. The easiest and best is double tracking it after slightly tweaking the pitch on the second pass. Utterly MASSIVE sounds unlike anything else. I did a video a while back that compares using chorus with double tracking. I used an OB-X8, but it obviously works just as well with any mono synth - especially a Prophet 5.

Of course, sometimes you want that wonderful swirly Juno-type chorus, but double tracking is killer for super-wide soundscapes... even with two slightly different patches!

More than double tracked...but the Studio Electronics Midimini v30 is fun in stereo as well. :)

Attachments

• Stereo V30 Sweep.mp3
    470.7 KB
Only several months with both, and equally impressed .... for disparate reasons.
Pianist; constantly struggling with polyphony limitations. Likely to add Prophet 5-10 Voice Expander Card _ + $900..
P10 initiial purchase would weigh heavily when comparing with Trigon 6 ..... polyphony, plus keyboard split /stacking.
How's the bass on the trigon6? It has a lot of the Moog synths "stuff" inside. So comparing it to sub37 or minimoog could you say the bass is around the same type of sound or is it still one of those things where a moog bass is a moog bass?

How's the bass on the trigon6? It has a lot of the Moog synths "stuff" inside. So comparing it to sub37 or minimoog could you say the bass is around the same type of sound or is it still one of those things where a moog bass is a moog bass?
Will sort through virtual Moog options and try to comment. Reconfig now due to holiday goodies. DAW uses Yamaha HS5 monitors _ Energy powered sub added. Moog emphasis was key factor in recent Trigon 6 DM purchase.
Realize this Comparative interest, yet prefer best bass sound production.

Last edited:

Indeed, the double tracking sounds grittier than the choruses. Among the used choruses, I'm surprised to prefer the Roland Zen one.

Indeed, the double tracking sounds grittier than the choruses. Among the used choruses, I'm surprised to prefer the Roland Zen one.
Don't underestimate the Zencore stuff - it's really, really good. The choruses alone are in constant use for me.. all Roland's classic models are in there, from Juno to Dimension D to CE-1. The rest of the Zencore effects are great too!

They're really apples & oranges. Hydrasynth is awesome.. truly a deep well of sonic experimentation. It sounds amazing, is built like a tank, and the poly AT keybed is great to have. I really wouldn't look to it as an analog/VA option though, at least compared to the 3rd Wave. That one is indeed one of the best VAs I've ever heard. It's a top contender for covering VAST amounts of territory, and the VA side is so good, you'd never know it'd not fully analog (the Prophet 5 filter is, and the digital filter sounds remarkably great... very much in Oberheim territory).

Back to the Hydrasynth, it can do some decent analog-sounding stuff, but its strength IMO is its digital nature. It's like entering the Matrix. Crazy FM & wavetable stuff. Wavescanning is crazy fun. The FX are fantastic. Mod matrix possibilities out the wazoo. Wonderful synth for soundscapes and sound design.

Now the Nina... holy smokes. That might be... no, that IS one of the best-sounding analog synths ever made, bar none. It has a quality and weight to it that is just monstrous. I've been drooling over it for some time now, and can't wait to have one. Honestly if I could only have one analog synth, it would probably be that one. It's INSANELY good.
Nina over the OBX8 😳 ??

Forthcoming Oberheim TEO-5 (an Oberheim version of their Take 5 synth) leaked. Assuming it's not a joke:

1112534d1714034574t-oberheim-teo-5-a-25-04-2024_10-38-30.jpg

Are you finding the brute easy to program ?
It is extremely easy to program. It has the full matrix right there so you can see every programmed function on the grid. Plus it has the desktop / vst app so you will always know the original position of the patch knobs. There is nothing more frustrating than loading a patch you want to tweak on some other synth and not knowing what the knobs are set to.

Started with DeepMind12 (keyboard), months ago ..... delighted !!
Several recent Desktop Modules { Prophet 5, Trigon 6, Digitone, Drumlogue, UNO Drum }.

Added Hydrasynth Deluxe for improved MIDI Keyboard Control.
Older Axiom Pro61, and KK-S49 'keyboard' controllers now idle and stored.

Pro-3 SE has been mixed situation, as small keyboard brings much 'workspace' headache.
Quite unlikely to add further keyboard-synths, unless sooo desirable as to sell Pro-3 .....
and may so anyway. 🤷🏻‍♂️

More Desktop Modules ??? Why not ?? ..... Erica Synths LXR-02, Roland TR-8S, UDO Super 6, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, Digitakt II, et al .....

Last edited:
Several recent Desktop Modules { Prophet 5, Trigon 6, Digitone, Drumlogue, UNO Drum }.

Pro-3 SE has been mixed situation, as small keyboard brings much 'workspace' headache.
Quite unlikely to add further keyboard-synths, unless sooo desirable as to sell Pro-3 .....
and may so anyway. 🤷🏻‍♂️

More Desktop Modules ??? Why not ?? ..... Erica Synths LXR-02, Roland TR-8S, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, et al .....
You are such a synth head!

and may so anyway. 🤷🏻‍♂️

More Desktop Modules ??? Why not ?? ..... Erica Synths LXR-02, Roland TR-8S, UDO Super 6, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, Digitakt II, et al .....
Oh, and I have a polysynth now. The Prophet 08.

I really don't know if having an analogue synth improves the sound of my music; but it is fun to engage with. More importantly, I think, are two factors. The limitations that physical components impose. And, the lack of depending on 'emulations' and 'anti-aliasing' in order to get a sound that the components provide and which, I just have to admit, I really like.

There's something dynamic about hitting a tin bath and recording the sound rather than relying on someone else's purely digital recreation of it. And it is more lively and variable than samples.

Last edited:
You are such a synth head!
true, true 😳

OTH .... rationalizing total cost of current goodies, still very close to 'future-looking' new Desktop PC Audio build. Not running hybrid now _ totally hardware using midi thru-box.
May need to face reality when new build becomes essential.
Expected major Win11Pro Update may well bring DAW system crashing down.

in meantime .... sos-synth-head sends regards ⌨️

Top Bottom