What's new

Next hardware synth?

true, true😳

OTH .... rationalizing total cost of current goodies, still very close to 'future-looking' new Desktop PC Audio build. May need to face reality when that becomes essential.
Expected major Win11Pro Update may well bring DAW system crashing down.

in meantime .... sos-synth-head sends regards ⌨️
Regards to you to, from one synth head to another!

Oh, and I have a polysynth now. The Prophet 08.

I really don't know if having an analogue synth improves the sound of my music; but it is fun to engage with. More importantly, I think, are two factors. The limitations that physical components impose. And, the lack of depending on 'emulations' and 'anti-aliasing' in order to get a sound that the components provide and which, I just have to admit, I really like.

There's something dynamic about hitting a tin bath and recording the sound rather than relying on someone else's purely digital recreation of it. And it is more lively and variable than samples.
Wow !! Very rad ! Knew you had cool Taiga, but this is notable. Definitely edging into synth head kult-land. 🙃

Wow !! Very rad ! Knew you had cool Taiga, but this is notable. Definitely edging into synth head kult-land. 🙃
I got it this week. It is a desktop, so I have space for it; and it was just about affordable. I don't especially like classic Prophet sounds, but this has a lot of modulation options and a good, basic sound. I've been playing it through the Taiga to get the benefit of the extra filter and saturation options - plus my guitar pedals.

I can also simulate a paraphonic synth by using the Taiga's ADSR, for string machine style playing.

Started with DeepMind12 (keyboard), months ago ..... delighted !!
Several recent Desktop Modules { Prophet 5, Trigon 6, Digitone, Drumlogue, UNO Drum }.

Added Hydrasynth Deluxe for improved MIDI Keyboard Control.
Older Axiom Pro61, and KK-S49 'keyboard' controllers now idle and stored.

Pro-3 SE has been mixed situation, as small keyboard brings much 'workspace' headache.
Quite unlikely to add further keyboard-synths, unless sooo desirable as to sell Pro-3 .....
and may so anyway. 🤷🏻‍♂️

More Desktop Modules ??? Why not ?? ..... Erica Synths LXR-02, Roland TR-8S, UDO Super 6, Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave, Digitakt II, et al .....
The Pro3 sounds soooooo damn good I can live with the other compromises it has. Such as keyboard size, but that does make me approach it in proper mono synth style.

Are you finding the brute easy to program ?
The polybrute is so easy and inspiring to program, love it! I am selling it soon to get the rumored 12 version. Hopefully it will be released at superbooth.
I really hope that Arturia takes the micro/mini freak and makes a superfreak/polyfreak. Large synth with all the osc modes and analog filter.
The AU plugin for the PolyBrute makes it as a synth I can use. instant recall without remembering the name of the preset or saving it.

I feel like there's a lack of analog poly synth under $1000 in the US market. There ARE some but in general not as many options as other types of synths. From the leaks and info, it seems many poly synths will come out at super booth this year/next month. Finger crossed.

I feel like there's a lack of analog poly synth under $1000 in the US market. There ARE some but in general not as many options as other types of synths. From the leaks and info, it seems many poly synths will come out at super booth this year/next month. Finger crossed.
I’m hoping for some new toys announced at super booth too. But Analog and Poly is just an expensive thing to produce. Multiple voice boards, vca’s, vco’s , mods it all adds up and I feel the compromises in build (such as shitty keybeds) make stuff like the Take5 feel around the correct price point. It’s gotta be hard for manufacturers to build quality to the right price.
I always thought my Polybrute was pricy (especially given it’s quite poor Keybed) until is saw a photo of inside one. That Said I bloody love how it sounds and how crazy powerful it is, for that alone I’ve overlooked the keybed which would in a lesser synth have seen it sold.

I’m hoping for some new toys announced at super booth too. But Analog and Poly is just an expensive thing to produce. Multiple voice boards, vca’s, vco’s , mods it all adds up and I feel the compromises in build (such as shitty keybeds) make stuff like the Take5 feel around the correct price point. It’s gotta be hard for manufacturers to build quality to the right price.
I always thought my Polybrute was pricy (especially given it’s quite poor Keybed) until is saw a photo of inside one. That Said I bloody love how it sounds and how crazy powerful it is, for that alone I’ve overlooked the keybed which would in a lesser synth have seen it sold.

Selfishly hoping for top-tier 'Desktop Module' versions ... among new Intros !! 🙏🏻
enuf cheesy 25, 37, 48, 61, + .....

GS Music doesn't seem to be on the list for Super Booth, but I'd love to hear about a new synth from the makers of the GS Music 7. The GS Music 7 is an analogue synth with two digital effects and sounds quite Oberheim-y to me. It's around £1,600. It sounds beautiful but is the wrong beautiful for me right now. But I'll be keeping an eye out for whatever they do next.

Supercritical are in development of an six voice analog polysynth - albeit with digital control (so DCOs, etc.) - called the Redshift 6. There hasn't been much audio shared yet, but it looks a bit different and could turn out to be good. This is available for pre-order at £1,098.

I would really love to see a Korg Prologue Desktop (with either eight or sixteen voices); but as they have deprecated the Prologue and just released a lot of new products, I don't think that will be happening.

Pittsburgh Modular are going to announce a new synth, but I don't know what it is and I doubt that it will be poly. It could be their new Voltage Research Laboratory which is definitely quite a long way along in developement. They are also hoping to bring out a drum machine either at the end of this year, or the beginning of next. Both of those products are sure to have analogue signal paths. Pittsburgh Modular and Cre8 Audio, with whom they collaborate on production runs, are both going to be there.

Erica Synths might have an update or even a release for their monophonic physical modelling synthesiser. I think that is fully digital, despite being focused on aeorophone sounds, which I think could potentially have some analogue stages.

Otherwise I don't know what to expect. I've heard that there are rumours (that's right, I hear a rumour that there were rumours - not the rumours themselves) that a twelve-voiced version of the Polybrute could be in development and Arturia will be at Superbooth; but I think that it is two close to their last release for them to have something else ready to go; and they wouldn't want to hurt sales of the six-voiced version.

oh totally, my train of thought is that behringer could do an 8 voice poly at 400 bucks then maybe another company could do it for $1k and bring some interesting ideas to the market.

GS Music doesn't seem to be on the list for Super Booth, but I'd love to hear about a new synth from the makers of the GS Music 7. The GS Music 7 is an analogue synth with two digital effects and sounds quite Oberheim-y to me. It's around £1,600. It sounds beautiful but is the wrong beautiful for me right now. But I'll be keeping an eye out for whatever they do next.

Supercritical are in development of an six voice analog polysynth - albeit with digital control (so DCOs, etc.) - called the Redshift 6. There hasn't been much audio shared yet, but it looks a bit different and could turn out to be good. This is available for pre-order at £1,098.

I would really love to see a Korg Prologue Desktop (with either eight or sixteen voices); but as they have deprecated the Prologue and just released a lot of new products, I don't think that will be happening.

Pittsburgh Modular are going to announce a new synth, but I don't know what it is and I doubt that it will be poly. It could be their new Voltage Research Laboratory which is definitely quite a long way along in developement. They are also hoping to bring out a drum machine either at the end of this year, or the beginning of next. Both of those products are sure to have analogue signal paths. Pittsburgh Modular and Cre8 Audio, with whom they collaborate on production runs, are both going to be there.

Erica Synths might have an update or even a release for their monophonic physical modelling synthesiser. I think that is fully digital, despite being focused on aeorophone sounds, which I think could potentially have some analogue stages.

Otherwise I don't know what to expect. I've heard that there are rumours (that's right, I hear a rumour that there were rumours - not the rumours themselves) that a twelve-voiced version of the Polybrute could be in development and Arturia will be at Superbooth; but I think that it is two close to their last release for them to have something else ready to go; and they wouldn't want to hurt sales of the six-voiced version.
the e7 is pretty cool. its almost like a memorymoog with its ladder filter.
The redshift looks cool. Im not sure about the design and submenus system. If they add multistage envelope (like zebra/omnisphere/etc) then that would be quite amazing.

I did see a new version of the tasty chips granular synth. the granular workstation that looks very nice and its in pre order. its more expensive though. shipping in may.

I do find it interesting that Korg didn't update their prologue/minilogue/xd line. Maybe those are selling fine as is. Adding a couple of LFOs would make these so nice.

the e7 is pretty cool. its almost like a memorymoog with its ladder filter.
The redshift looks cool. Im not sure about the design and submenus system. If they add multistage envelope (like zebra/omnisphere/etc) then that would be quite amazing.

I did see a new version of the tasty chips granular synth. the granular workstation that looks very nice and its in pre order. its more expensive though. shipping in may.

I do find it interesting that Korg didn't update their prologue/minilogue/xd line. Maybe those are selling fine as is. Adding a couple of LFOs would make these so nice.
I agree that the Prologue and friends line could really benefit from more modulation options. Yes, the XD can record knob movements with the sequencer, but that didn't show up on the Prologue itself and it doesn't carry across to chained XDs for eight voices.

Yes, I saw the new version of Tasty Chips GR-1 is coming. It is on a new chip and has been coded from scratch and is supposed to be an improvement.

I forgot about E7 having a ladder filter. It doesn't sound like a Moog to me, though; but it should have a similar range of filter sweet spots.

I agree that the Prologue and friends line could really benefit from more modulation options. Yes, the XD can record knob movements with the sequencer, but that didn't show up on the Prologue itself and it doesn't carry across to chained XDs for eight voices.

Yes, I saw the new version of Tasty Chips GR-1 is coming. It is on a new chip and has been coded from scratch and is supposed to be an improvement.

I forgot about E7 having a ladder filter. It doesn't sound like a Moog to me, though; but it should have a similar range of filter sweet spots.
I was about to get the GR1. now im concern :)
I tried doing the preorder with the new one but the date change literally between the two days I checked to pushing it one month later. :/
Any reason it might sound different? maybe better? I like the idea of sampling something fast and tweaking it realtime. the gr1 seems easy to work with even if I have to add a cheap interface.

ive been checking the trigon 6 and since it sort of falls into memorymoog territory, the e7 sort of appeared to be similar in some videos and comments, but yeah, its sort of more smooth. The lack of filter drive is what turned me off the e7. IF they added it, then it would be my dream synth. Then again, a polyphonic synth normally are not that aggressive since its playing chords and all.
With that said, the g7 has an external in which maybe can be patched to get the same filter drive effect. heck, maybe I'll get it to also support Argentinian manufacturing since I have family there.

although now im looking at the prophet 6 or trigon 6... if nothing comes around at super booth thats around $1k.

Last edited:
I was about to get the GR1. now im concern :)
I tried doing the preorder with the new one but the date change literally between the two days I checked to pushing it one month later. :/
Any reason it might sound different? maybe better? I like the idea of sampling something fast and tweaking it realtime. the gr1 seems easy to work with even if I have to add a cheap interface.

ive been checking the trigon 6 and since it sort of falls into memorymoog territory, the e7 sort of appeared to be similar in some videos and comments, but yeah, its sort of more smooth. The lack of filter drive is what turned me off the e7. IF they added it, then it would be my dream synth. Then again, a polyphonic synth normally are not that aggressive since its playing chords and all.
With that said, the g7 has an external in which maybe can be patched to get the same filter drive effect. heck, maybe I'll get it to also support Argentinian manufacturing since I have family there.

although now im looking at the prophet 6 or trigon 6... if nothing comes around at super booth thats around $1k.
The GR Mega has more modulation option and dual filters. As to the sound, it probably isn't obviously better.

The E7 has volume controls per oscillator. That might be enough to drive the filter. Perhaps you know otherwise; but I've read that the settings of oscillator volumes is a key feature in the Korg Prologue.

I was also looking at the new motor synth... which sounds cool, except for the motor noise in the studio

I think it would drive me mad.
- er.

But I can't afford it anyway.

I would like to layer samples of clanking machinery and steam with a suitable synth, however. So maybe recording the noise could add a useful layer to the synth.

S-O-L here .... GS e7 looks good, but no way to hear one locally. Kinda boxed in with both Trigon 6 DM, and Pro-3 SE. Ladder filter, other Moogishness, still not Moog(s). $1,000. ~~ tough limit.

Not 'just' synth, but Elektron Analog Rytm MKII is nuther 'desktop' interest for synth-drum heads. 🤪

Might try wrangle deal with both Pro-3 & Trigon 6 for Groove Synthesis - 3rd Wave Desktop 24 .....

I was also looking at the new motor synth... which sounds cool, except for the motor noise in the studio

I don't mind the motor noise, it's pretty interesting the way you can hear it actually create harmonies from spinning. Science!

I own an Elektron Digitone which is one of my favorite synths in my collection. This kinda reminds me of that, both in terms of the form factor (very similar type of knobs and mechanical buttons and screen), but also while it's an FM synth if you use it more in a subtractive fashion and add warble and cross modulation at varying speeds you can get fairly similar "imperfect" sounds to this. However maybe one day when I have some extra spending money I would still pick one of these up, looks very fun to play around with ;)

I don't mind the motor noise, it's pretty interesting the way you can hear it actually create harmonies from spinning. Science!

I own an Elektron Digitone which is one of my favorite synths in my collection. This kinda reminds me of that, both in terms of the form factor (very similar type of knobs and mechanical buttons and screen), but also while it's an FM synth if you use it more in a subtractive fashion and add warble and cross modulation at varying speeds you can get fairly similar "imperfect" sounds to this. However maybe one day when I have some extra spending money I would still pick one of these up, looks very fun to play around with ;)
Good to hear more Digitone positives ! Added one months ago, and expected challenges with Elektron workflow have definitely materilaized .... 😓 With Digitakt II released, may take advantage of OG resales and dive in deeper.

Was impressed by Melbourne - NINA in recent months. Monitoring 'motorized' instruments now to learn more. Motor Synth MK II will get some attention, for sure ! 👍🏻

Top Bottom