Next hardware synth?

Lots of info and links (forum)

Free tutorial

In-depth paid tutorials
https://davemech.live/mastering-digitone-part-1

Pretty good series of Digitone videos, starting with the first

Not sure why anyone would ever want to use Eurorack, though! :alien:

THX for cool YT Vids !! 🙏🏻
Eurorack not a fav here ..... 'sources' may have used Eurorack .... meaning Modular Synth (Xerox > Copy Machine) .
Early days sorting Elektron, so not clear yet about this repeated comment. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
THX for cool YT Vids !! 🙏🏻
Eurorack not a fav here ..... 'sources' may have used Eurorack .... meaning Modular Synth (Xerox > Copy Machine) .
Early days sorting Elektron, so not clear yet about this repeated comment. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I understand that. I think that for effects only it might be more manageable, though.

I've only got two modules so far - a filter and a phaser. But the prices aren't bad compared to pedals, and you often have more modulation options.

If you’re considering eurorack you might consider to try out Modular from Softube, 2 weeks free demo, to see if you get the hang of it. Not Hardware of course, but hey, I am the thread starter, so I am allowed this slight diversion from topic. :emoji_blush:

If you’re considering eurorack you might consider to try out Modular from Softube, 2 weeks free demo, to see if you get the hang of it. Not Hardware of course, but hey, I am the thread starter, so I am allowed this slight diversion from topic. :emoji_blush:
Softube Modular sounds great, but I think Voltage Modular captures the feel of patching better. But a lot of people find they need the physical experience to make sense of it.

But I agree with you that trying something virtual on a trial is a good idea.

OK, I made this song entirely with the Prophet 12 and a Strymon BigSky to show its capabilities:

Impressed ! 👏🏻

Earlier post was poking fun at self a bit .... given comparative natiure of UNO Synth /Drum.
On serious note, have Prophet 5, Trigon 6, DeepMind 5. Checked Prophet 12 on Reverb, and
~ $2.5k - $3k (delivered - incl UT tax) for nice ones. No easy way to begin to sort what
P12 brings if added.
If you have some related comment, please post, as I look deeper.
Not high priority yet, but continue to review Sequential and Oberheim offerings.
Detoured repeatedly by ASM Hydra-Deluxe ......
Bumping P5 to P10 (expander kit) is $1k so P12 not unreasonable add. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I was going to buy Arturia Matrixbrute, then suddenly a very nicely priced brand new Arturia polybrute popped up. a very nice xmas present for me!
That is an easy choice! Matrix Brute might be fun, but it is more niche. Polybrute is supposed to be a terrific all-rounder with a great workflow.

Reactions: Axl
I have a Prophet 12 SE (White version) I bought in 2019, I’d previously sold all my synths (including a JP 8, when I ‘fell in love’ with my first girlfriend (that was a long time ago though haha!

So I started programming the Prophet 12 late 2019, really experimenting and trying to get to know what makes it tick etc

Long story (sorry), with dual patches I found I was running out of notes that was glitching and interfering with my performance on certain patches, so I bought a Prophet 12 desktop, linked together I get 12 voices (beautiful).

Then I went completely insane and wanted to push the envelope even further (at this point, I was getting some crazy good sounds, but it takes time). I wanted to explore having enough Prophet 12’s to have each synth occupy it’s own space in the stereo field (more besides that as well etc).

Anyway I know have 4 Prophet 12 desktops and the original Prophet 12 Keyboard!

This thing when you really know it well, can create some really amazing sounds!
How many Prophet 12 would you need for Atmos 9.4.6? ;)

I bought the Moog Matriarch but it’s going back…I think I sounds Awesome…really great but I’ve decided that patching little cables in to make patches ain’t my thing , and (though it seems like a ‘hip’ thing to do) modular doesn’t interest me at that time (and my wallet thanks me) SO I found a killer deal on a used mint Polybrute , as with the patch morphing that thing is making sounds I’m not hearing from ANY vst ….stay tuned lol …

I bought the Moog Matriarch but it’s going back…I think I sounds Awesome…really great but I’ve decided that patching little cables in to make patches ain’t my thing , and (though it seems like a ‘hip’ thing to do) modular doesn’t interest me at that time (and my wallet thanks me) SO I found a killer deal on a used mint Polybrute , as with the patch morphing that thing is making sounds I’m not hearing from ANY vst ….stay tuned lol …
And with the polybrute you can actually save what you made. It is no Moog, but it is its own Awesome. Wonderful synth.

It does seem like modular is having a hip moment, doesn't it? I like the tactility of it rather than handling routing by other means. But it is very much not the be-all and end-all of what is good in synths. It's certainly an inefficient option if you want polyphony!

It's great that you are able to send the Matriarch back, though. It's too big an investment to be stuck with something that you aren't getting along with.

I have 15 hardware synths and have bought and sold and traded in another 15 over the past 10 years. It’s a pain to wire them all up and get their audio and MIDI to my DAW but I love them all. Hardly ever record them in my compositions but there is something so compelling about putting your hands on a real instrument.

My prize is a Korg Kronos. Some may scoff but that thing sounds amazing. I was sad to see they discontinued it for the scaled back Nautilus.

I also have 4 Ensoniq synths. (EPS 16+, Mirage, TS12 and an SQ80).

You might want to look back to some vintage gear. There are some great deals on keyboards that used to cost thousands.

Happy hunting and Happy Holiday!

Top Bottom