What's new

New ozone 8, Neutron 2,

This is really a hard upgrade to buy into in view of the price. I'm surprised that Izotope don't choose to entice customers who want to stay current.

This is certainly one to struggle with. I have Music Production Bundle 2...which I already owned most of it when I upgraded for $250 last year. I could not figure out exactly what I paid for.

I already have most of T-Racks, Fabfilter Bundle, MAudio bundle, as well as MPB2, and would definitely struggle to justify a $299 upgrade to Music Production Suite...

This is certainly one to struggle with. I have Music Production Bundle 2...which I already owned most of it when I upgraded for $250 last year. I could not figure out exactly what I paid for.

I already have most of T-Racks, Fabfilter Bundle, MAudio bundle, as well as MPB2, and would definitely struggle to justify a $299 upgrade to Music Production Suite...
This is exactly the situation I was in, I had the Music Production Bundle 2, upgrade to the Suite for $299. The inclusion of RX standard kicked it in for me. In the old Bundle, there was a mini RX package. I thought I'd never use it, but sure enough I had a problem track that this little plugin saved. So by have RX standard ready whenever I need it made the purchase worthwhile.

I think they miss a 'complete-my-bundle' thing. I bought Music Production Bundle 2 when it came out and bought RX6 standard seperately. I see a huge step forward to Ozone. In addition I see nothing that seems genuinely worth any upgrade price for neutron. Including RX standard in Music Production Suite is definately nice ... but for users that already have Music Production Bundle 2 and RX that is less than perfect.

I think they miss a 'complete-my-bundle' thing. I bought Music Production Bundle 2 when it came out and bought RX6 standard seperately. I see a huge step forward to Ozone. In addition I see nothing that seems genuinely worth any upgrade price for neutron. Including RX standard in Music Production Suite is definately nice ... but for users that already have Music Production Bundle 2 and RX that is less than perfect.

They do offer the ability to sell your licenses (you could sell your individual RX after getting the bundle) but that's just an extra pain the butt for a lot of people.

I will say regarding Neutron: the Visual Mixer seems pretty badass. I hope Steinberg comes out with something similar for Cubase. I haven't actually used it yet but just looking at it makes me think this is something all DAW's should have had all along.

What is that visual mixer? Panning for l/r and reverb for back/front?

The front to back is volume (like turning faders up or down). You can also control stereo width of tracks as well. Another feature is "Snapshots: Save and recall versions of your mix so that you can experiment with different variations of your music" so you potentially could throw together a few different ways of panning and balancing your track and then go back and compare them all with the press of a button. I still haven't used it but that's pretty cool if it does what it says it does.

I think they miss a 'complete-my-bundle' thing.
PSP is stellar in that regard. They just sent me an email advertising their delay plugins for $29 each, but if you already own other PSP products, the discount is even greater. The more PSP you own, the steeper the discount—even on sales prices!

Best,

Geoff

That does sound kind of cool. Hmmm, I'll look a little more into it. I've been feeling like the upgrade price is asking a bit much (I have Neutron adv and Zone adv) but need to look at it more...

The front to back is volume (like turning faders up or down). You can also control stereo width of tracks as well. Another feature is "Snapshots: Save and recall versions of your mix so that you can experiment with different variations of your music" so you potentially could throw together a few different ways of panning and balancing your track and then go back and compare them all with the press of a button. I still haven't used it but that's pretty cool if it does what it says it does.

That does sound kind of cool. Hmmm, I'll look a little more into it. I've been feeling like the upgrade price is asking a bit much (I have Neutron adv and Zone adv) but need to look at it more...

I would maybe demo it or ask around to see how the CPU usage is. I only used Neutron 1 for maybe a week after getting the MPB2 because the CPU usage was way too high to be useful to me.

I agree about their upgrade pricing. It's peculiar that they have all that marketing hype going on to draw people in and then price it out of range for most of their user-base. It makes me think that they don't actually want tons of people using it at this point in time.

I'm holding off for now. O7N1 works fine for me and Christmas is right around the corner where we will hopefully see a much more significant price drop. What they are asking now, especially with N1 being less than a year old, is just wrong IMO.

Also got some discount from the Neutron but I think I'll pass it, really.

Read this thread. I don't have any fancey stuff, but I do have all the plugs from Komplete10U - got a super crazy deal price on K10U and mostly use Damage and all the libraries, only touched the reverb plugins which are good and some EQ and Compressor. Softtube stuff.

I kind of like Neutron but sometimes the track assistant sucks.
Got really interested in Elevate now and you can get an even cheaper crossgrade price from the free EQ:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1180014-awesome-limiter-elevate-eventide.html

How much better can Neutron 2 be? Dunno, 89 bucks is kind of expensive, already paid that price once. Think I'll just keep that and not give any more money to iZotope...kind of.

Last edited:
How much better can Neutron 2 be?

I think this is the big question, Izotope are implementing some very advanced mixing software, at an alarming speed, it seems even before everyone gets the hang of there existing plugins a new version of the same plugin arrives, thier developers seem to be having a burst of inspired inovation.

Never went for the new ozone and neutron and still have alloy 2 and ozone 5.

I am wondering are these newer advanced plugins for better sounding mixes and mastering or is it for speed and efficiency,

Better sounding mixes can be very objective.

But it would be nice to see say ozone 5 or alloy 2 pitted against Ozone 8 and neutron, what type of mixes and mastering results the two would give, would be interesting.

I've held off Neutron and Ozone for quite a while, seriously considering a crossgrade from RX5/Nectar 2. Although granted, I'm struggling to see the worth in upgrading from N1 to N2 for those who have already bought N1.

I think this is the big question, Izotope are implementing some very advanced mixing software, at an alarming speed, it seems even before everyone gets the hang of there existing plugins a new version of the same plugin arrives, thier developers seem to be having a burst of inspired inovation.

I belive it's called venture capital... ;)
But yeah this is a problem with many developers recently. New versions, more money, no bug fixes, everyone loses except the board members and capital fat-cats. (Once upon a time I lived this world on the development side. Trust me, IT BLOWS.)

I belive it's called venture capital... ;)
But yeah this is a problem with many developers recently. New versions, more money, no bug fixes, everyone loses except the board members and capital fat-cats. (Once upon a time I lived this world on the development side. Trust me, IT BLOWS.)
JC, you are so right. When I first got the upgrade email I thought, "Why would Neutron v2 cost the same price as I paid for v1? Maybe I didn't buy in near its release or maybe they've upped their prices." So I went back through iZotope's release announcements for 2015/2016 and I ran across their $7.5 million dollar venture capital announcement. It was obvious what was happening after I read that, and so I decided that I wouldn't play that game. I think certain venture capitalist's do have the right motivations and happen to have money to help others. But in many cases, quick money/profit seems to be the driving force (as it appears in this one). I believe it is more important to get behind the right motivations and not help fuel the wrong ones...

Heard some examples and A/B with Ozone 8, think it was some review guy at youtube, kind of popular channel.
Really liked it and also by the other vids I seen. EQ extra functions is good in EQuivalent so, why not pick it?
79 bucks. And you can have it on seperate tracks for beefing up stuff.

Heard some examples and A/B with Ozone 8, think it was some review guy at youtube, kind of popular channel.
Really liked it and also by the other vids I seen. EQ extra functions is good in EQuivalent so, why not pick it?
79 bucks. And you can have it on seperate tracks for beefing up stuff.
I may be missing something but, were you talking about EQuivocate?

Top Bottom