What's new

Most Disappointing Library Purchase?

Even if i was happy with some Realitone products i had previously purchased , i was very disappointed with their Realivox Ladies V2. The demo was ok so i bought it but once i tried it in real situation it didn t encourage me to reopen it.
Really? Works fine here. Especially in 'real situations' :)

Easily Fluffy Audio's Rinascimento. Honestly the only time I've ever purchased a library and then deeply regretted it right away. I appreciate what Paolo and his team tried to do with it, but the quality is such a far cry from Tarilonte's stuff that I just can't bring myself to use it.

Easily Fluffy Audio's Rinascimento. Honestly the only time I've ever purchased a library and then deeply regretted it right away. I appreciate what Paolo and his team tried to do with it, but the quality is such a far cry from Tarilonte's stuff that I just can't bring myself to use it.
Hmmm, that's a shame. I was interested in Rinascimento. The demos sounded quite nice to me. I have Era Medeival Legends 2. So you're saying I shouldn't bother?

Strange, I've only heard good stuff about it.

I have Shreddage II, and (this might be outrageously unpopular) I like Guitar Rig better
Is there a new version of Guitar Rig that I missed, that has guitar samples? I thought it was just amp sims and effects. And while Shreddage II does have some ampsim and fx kind of stuff, I always thought I'm supposed to use this in combination with a proper amp sim like Guitar Rig, so I don't quite understand your comparison between the two.

My biggest regret purchases are those that end up later being included in NI Komplete, like the Damage standalone box that I bought. In this way I hope the NI Symphony Series doesn't end up in Komplete one day, because it's among my more expensive libraries.

After years of purchases, I’m sad to say Gospel Musicians Bassalicious my biggest disappointment, which I had such high hopes for I didn’t even watch a walkthrough (my bad, last time I do that), but I really expected something usable and funky. Not at all. Only a few dozen presets, almost all sound aweful, really aweful. I finially got to one preset that wasn’t terrible, and could be useful, turns out it’s the 2nd to last one! So the entire purchase comes down to one “meh” patch. Wow.

Picked it up on sale three days ago and am ready to resell. Soooo disappointed. Was also dissapointed badly by Neo Soul Studio (trying to resell that too). The UVI version of Neo Soul is excellent, that and Keyscape are my gotos (Neo soul is a little beefier, more old school sound), so I really expected much more from Neo Soul Studio and Bassalicious. So sad.

After years of purchases, I’m sad to say Gospel Musicians Bassalicious my biggest disappointment, which I had such high hopes for I didn’t even watch a walkthrough (my bad, last time I do that), but I really expected something usable and funky. Not at all. Only a few dozen presets, almost all sound aweful, really aweful. I finially got to one preset that wasn’t terrible, and could be useful, turns out it’s the 2nd to last one! So the entire purchase comes down to one “meh” patch. Wow.

Picked it up on sale three days ago and am ready to resell. Soooo disappointed. Was also dissapointed badly by Neo Soul Studio (trying to resell that too). The UVI version of Neo Soul is excellent, that and Keyscape are my gotos (Neo soul is a little beefier, more old school sound), so I really expected much more from Neo Soul Studio and Bassalicious. So sad.

Going blind can be extremely bad. I bought all four EVOs just because I really liked 2 (Evo 2 was plenty, but 4 has some real value); bought Albion One because it was hyped as "better" than the already-quite-better-than-good Legacy.

Does anyone else see a future featuring, for instance, Spitfire (and many other) Subscription Clouds? You rent it by the month for when you need it. It might be exorbitant at first, but seems like something we're really just waiting for now and will laugh when we think of today with NFR and (still many) boxed libraries. I feel like the subscription model is inevitable for all developers, people will get tired of all the warmed over releases and NFR garbage.

...bought Albion One because it was hyped as "better" than the already-quite-better-than-good Legacy.

I still prefer Legacy to ONE, but bought ONE because Spitfire dangled it in front of me for $99, and I think it's different enough that it's great to have both, and I like a few things better about one, such as brass in all of the ranges without octave doubling.

Does anyone else see a future featuring, for instance, Spitfire (and many other) Subscription Clouds? You rent it by the month for when you need it. It might be exorbitant at first, but seems like something we're really just waiting for now and will laugh when we think of today with NFR and (still many) boxed libraries. I feel like the subscription model is inevitable for all developers, people will get tired of all the warmed over releases and NFR garbage.

I most emphatically hope that you are wrong about this. I will never under any circumstances participate in a subscription model for music software. I would quite literally smash my DAW computer to bits with a sledgehammer before I would do that...

I most emphatically hope that you are wrong about this. I will never under any circumstances participate in a subscription model for music software. I would quite literally smash my DAW computer to bits with a sledgehammer before I would do that...

Quite a few pros I know welcome a subscription model with open arms. I have to admit, I'd be all over it re: Spitfire. No getting disappointed.

But hey, all respect to your thoughts on the subject.

Quite a few pros I know welcome a subscription model with open arms. I have to admit, I'd be all over it re: Spitfire. No getting disappointed.

But hey, all respect to your thoughts on the subject.

It sounds like it would be nice to try libraries, but the cost would be crazy once you get past a dozen or more developers, and I know I use at least 100. Granted if you could stick to only East West or Spitfire that might not be too expensive, but for me that would be seriously limiting.

Someday major developers - Spitfire, Project Sam, Orch Tools, etc might join East West in having a subscription model. People may go for it, but I hope not. Another idea is that they would all join a club and have one subscription model that covers many libraries. But I hope this is not the case, since it would rule out many smaller developers who I’ve used and loved because thier instruments are inexpensive yet beautiful. How would that work if they had to join an expensive club? How could they find a place amoung larger developers? My guess is most smaller developers would never start. Kontakt Full being a cheap tool to devlop on and sell libraries for is important to the creative libraries that are cafefully produced but may only have a small audience.

I would think your love of small, quirky libraries would make you think of this. ;)

I feel like the subscription model is inevitable for all developers, people will get tired of all the warmed over releases and NFR garbage.

A big AMEN to that. Can't tell you how many GBs of libraries on my SSDs that I realized weren't something I would get any real use from. But due to NFR, they're just taking up space on my drive and giving me a bitter taste toward the developers. I had no option to try them to see if they would be something I would actually use, what was actually in there so I could compare to my other libraries side-by-side in tracks, or resale to get some of my investment back. Sure. I bought it. But they already have their money for the sale. So basically, they're cock-blocking repeat customers so they can make more sells. Well, they lose my repeat business.

A big AMEN to that. Can't tell you how many GBs of libraries on my SSDs that I realized weren't something I would get any real use from. But due to NFR, they're just taking up space on my drive and giving me a bitter taste toward the developers. I had no option to try them to see if they would be something I would actually use, what was actually in there so I could compare to my other libraries side-by-side in tracks, or resale to get some of my investment back. Sure. I bought it. But they already have their money for the sale. So basically, they're cock-blocking repeat customers so they can make more sells. Well, they lose my repeat business.

I'm predicting it's a matter of time. But hey, I could be completely wrong, and I do own a terrific collection of libraries already.

I cannot understand anyone favoring a subscription model. It is an invitation for developers to be slacking (see Adobe), also, in such a case you'd be bound to some kind of cloud bondage and you open yourself for all kind of data harvesting and potential privacy invasion.
Also, it would open the question whether the music is still yours after you quit the subscription if it contains sounds of a library to which you have no rights anymore?
In the end the power of decision needs to stay with the customer when he or she wants to invest in new library material, when to update etc. Everything else adds just more stress to say the least.

Well geez, I never had a single problem with Composer Cloud (besides the usual bugs using EW brings). In fact, seems to me EW has a winning idea there. Hard to believe others wouldn't follow suit.

But hey, again I could be totally wrong and I'm probably being a repetitive old bastaad anyhoo. Time for me to watch Chainsaw and uh, relax!

Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Attachments

• weed.jpg
    weed.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The reason I would like it is to get to try before buying. That's it. It would save me a lot of money actually.

Devs should have either a demo option, a resale option or of some sort or a money-back policy (as Realitone does). If end users demanded their software rights more forcefully, you wouldn't need to impose another bad, privacy-invading ripoff system to "fix" the unpleasant consequences of another.

I'm all in favor of subscriptions, dongles, online activation or whatever as long as such exists as a choice instead of as a requirement.

And in an age where there are so many reviews (honest and otherwise), walkthough tutorials, downloadable manuals and sound demos, it shouldn't be too hard to purchase a library without being completely surprised by how it sounds and behaves...

And in an age where there are so many reviews (honest and otherwise), walkthough tutorials, downloadable manuals and sound demos, it shouldn't be too hard to purchase a library without being completely surprised by how it sounds and behaves...

That's true sometimes. Sometimes it isn't. For example, Sonixinema's Hybrid Scoring Strings. The demos sound cool. So do the playthroughs. Almost every one of them I've come across play through the highlights, which are cool. The patch list online looks enormous. So you think there's a lot of great stuff there. Then you get it and realize that almost every playthrough you've seen was the good 8 or 9% of stuff that exists there and the rest is just basically the same patches (and a lot of other bad ones) run through a distortion pedal and called by other names. That was a cheap one and only taking up about 18GB of space so no big loss. Just an example though. I'm not trying to knock the product. Some may find those useful. But I don't and I'm stuck with it.

That's true sometimes. Sometimes it isn't. For example, Sonixinema's Hybrid Scoring Strings. The demos sound cool. So do the playthroughs. Almost every one of them I've come across play through the highlights, which are cool. The patch list online looks enormous. So you think there's a lot of great stuff there. Then you get it and realize that almost every playthrough you've seen was the good 8 or 9% of stuff that exists there and the rest is just basically the same patches (and a lot of other bad ones) run through a distortion pedal and called by other names. That was a cheap one and only taking up about 18GB of space so no big loss. Just an example though. I'm not trying to knock the product. Some may find those useful. But I don't and I'm stuck with it.

Yeah I hear you. It's not as fair as it could and should be... We all have our subjective differences in what we value more, and there's no right and wrong to it. For me, CP that tethers me to a remote server or a third party driver is far more oppressive than the inability to resell or demo, because I value offline workstation privacy and autonomy more than anything. I'm not a pro, I don't see software as an "investment", and figure that people go to movies they dislike, eat at restaurants they dislike, take vacations during which they have a terrible time etc. and don't get their money back. So if I waste some money on a bad library purchase once in a while "C'est la vie, money comes and goes..."

...But other people have different sensibilities. Their workstation may be online all the time and they don't mind applications "phoning home" or demanding USB ports or whatever, but resent spending money and not getting good value. It's just another POV.

BTW, I got the Sonixinema HSS a while back too, because it was on sale/inexpensive, and it's sort of a tangled random collection of I'm-not-sure-what... Live and learn.

Ironically this is one of the libraries I liked, but I did need to save my favorite presets-about 40 or 50- that I liked best (mainly the Evo type background string sounds and the sfx whooshes) This helps when I have to search through them later. I agree the amount of presets is excessive (many are different effected versions of the same sample), which bloats the library.

Even Signal, which has a lot of great sounds, can be whittled down to 100 or so patches (out of 500) which is also about a 20 percent success rate. Pretty good actually compared to some others. Most synths of the past have been this way for me-10 to 20 percent cool sounds surround by beep, boop, ho-humm.. ;)

I hear ya! That's what I meant about trying things out. Some people will find no use for something and others will find diamonds in it! haha It's up to the vendor though. Some let you resale, some will work with you to keep you happy, and some just don't give a d@mn.

I've even had a very well known vendor, who I had one of their products sitting on my drive for over a year, bought expansions for it, etc and still could not find any use for it as much as I tried. It was past a year so they wouldn't let me resell BUT they allowed me to exchange it for another product that I could use. Now THAT'S service, imo. Unbelievable! So I bought more of their stuff because I felt so good about it! haha

Top Bottom