What's new

Hollywood orchestra opus edition and hollywood orchestrator

...and how will you move the licence to a different ilok account ?

Besides, you agreed to the license when you purchased the software (even if that agreement were implicit rather than something you actually agreed to) and therefore shouldn't be breaking it.
You pay a $25 fee to move a license from one account to the other. On two or more transfers it is $50 per transaction. Edited for correctness, heh.

There are exceptions and permissions required with some licenses.

Jon

Yep. East West are some of the most used libraries in LA or in the whole of film and games in general. You never hear them talk about it, but if there's one company in almost all actual working composers templates, it's EW. They have a pedigree.

You do realise that despite everything the Hollywood Orchestra Diamond as is is still the most fully featured orchestra out there with an almost unbeatable flexibility?

Oh, and who?

The magic in it is that you hear it everywhere around you. And yet you never ''hear'' it ;)

This forum is not a reflection of the real, actual working world. It's just a snapshot. And a very biased snapshot at that. Always remember that.

So biased that people here believe truly that for example Native Instruments Symphony Series is a bad library. It's not. At all. It's awesome. But going by this forum's opinion you'd think NI stole people's lunch money or something.
There are so many people who talk down regarding EW on Facebook Groups and I just never understand what they are talking about.

Of course it's all personal preference, but the number one thing I hear is "HWO sounds dated".
You mean shawn murphy's mixes sound dated? I guess I better stop listening to all that John Williams then if thats the case.

Is the sound dated because it has more dynamic layers than anything recorded since? The legato is still really good by todays standards as well. I can understand if people don't like play, but that is about it. They then say go and buy BBCSO which has far fewer layers, RRs and I don't know if the legato is much better (don't own it).

Also, I always thought the NI Symphony strings had a really nice tone to them but people seem to detest them, yet MSS is the second coming of Jesus.

Last edited:
You pay a $25 fee to move a license from one account to the other. On two or more transfers it is $50 per transaction. Edited for correctness, heh.

There are exceptions and permissions required with some licenses.

Jon
Only if the developer allows ilok to transfer it......

While EW are in the spotlight, I would like to query why with the iLok system, we can't sell these libraries on?. If I deactivate a product in my iLok account and someone else activates it on their computer in their iLok account, what is the problem with that?
I recently rebuilt my computer and had to do exactly the above and it went without a hitch. So in theory we could actually do this.

Who wants to buy some EW products?
You cannot sell EW products. It’s clear in their EULA. Otherwise, you’d be doing so fraudulently.

There are so many people who talk down regarding EW on Facebook Groups and I just never understand what they are talking about.

Of course it's all personal preference, but the number one thing I hear is "HWO sounds dated".
You mean shawn murphy's mixes sound dated? I guess I better stop listening to all that John Williams then if thats the case.

Is the sound dated because it has more dynamic layers than anything recorded since? The legato is still really good by todays standards as well. I can understand if people don't like play, but that is about it. They then say go and buy BBCSO which has far fewer layers, RRs and I don't know if the legato is much better (don't own it).

Also, I always thought the NI Symphony strings had a really nice tone to them but people seem to detest them, yet MSS is the second coming of Jesus.
Yea I've never really understood this either. I feel like I'm turning into the guy who defends a library to the death, but I hear pieces created with other full orchestral packages, and most of the time I'm thinking that I could probably get HWO to get sound better. That's not to sound prideful at all, it's more to say that you can get so much out of it. Play is missing lots of features, but now that OPUS is coming out, it's looking like that argument isn't viable. Yes, the organization isn't great of the samples, but again, OPUS will probably fix that.

At this point I might as well put "EW fanboy" in my disc because I feel so biased, but I really think that it's that good.

You’re right! And it’s not available, yet, to buy, I think. And many ARE looking forward to it. Do you have any of their libraries?

I did not buy any of theirs but always having mixed thoughts coz it’s another plugin. Kontakt libraries are like quick go on but I tend to think a little if it’s away from kontakt. Yet, for sure, am tempted. Maybe Opus WILL impress me.

Do you like the workflow of Play? Is it possible to make it use less resources?

I am actually asking coz every time I check their demos or walkthrus, I get tempted but in no time it goes off my mind.
I originally bought HWB & HWS Gold. I was told the winds weren't that great, so I got VSL SE winds instead. Sound was good but the but it is a little overwhelming for a beginner. There are multiple instruments of everything. The file names can be confusing at first when you don't understand just how many instruments can be in an orchestra. And how many different staccatos do you need? (I know, I know, all of them and more) But until you understand what you need? It's too much and not easy to figure out. There are layers of folders to get to the instruments. It takes time.

I picked up the full Diamond version when it first went 60% off a couple years ago. I still mostly only use some of the Strings and Brass patches. You do get a lot for your money. Play is not a real issue, however, it is so much easier to use my Spitfire Orchestra with keyswitches for me.

So is it so that if you have all four sections (diamond) you will get opus upgrade for free? But if you are missing one section you have to pay full price? I mean doesn’t it count anything that you have for example three sections?

EW should be more transparent about these things. There are some of us that don’t have extra money to spend.

So is it so that if you have all four sections (diamond) you will get opus upgrade for free?
Where did you hear that? As far as I know there's no upgrade price announced but we know that you need to have all four to be eligible for the unknown upgrade price in the first place.

The information posted here regarding pricing, upgrades, requirements for said upgrades, etc. is mostly speculation. Hell, even the statements provided by EW support are not exactly consistent with each other.

Furthermore, there is no real news, even though Jan 21st was supposed to be the big day. I'm sure there are people out there that pulled the trigger on the CC subscription with the idea of getting access to OPUS two days ago.

I love my HO, it sounds fantastic. But EW needs to do better in the communication department, this is pretty bad as far as managing people's expectations is concerned. Maybe take a hint from the MSS thread.

The information posted here regarding pricing, upgrades, requirements for said upgrades, etc. is mostly speculation. Hell, even the statements provided by EW support are not exactly consistent with each other.

Furthermore, there is no real news, even though Jan 21st was supposed to be the big day. I'm sure there are people out there that pulled the trigger on the CC subscription with the idea of getting access to OPUS two days ago.

I love my HO, it sounds fantastic. But EW needs to do better in the communication department, this is pretty bad as far as managing people's expectations is concerned. Maybe take a hint from the MSS thread.
I think the first two sentences of your post should be in bold, all caps, and stickied.

My personal take on EW. In 2016 when PLAY 5 was released (and after using PLAY for almost five years) I wrote the following:

”This is the way PLAY should have been from the beginning. All those years I've seen my setup as clunky, slow and unstable. Kontakt ran circles around PLAY but the chain is as strong as the weakest link. Now the exactly same setup feels light, fast and reliable. I still can't fix the faults in the libraries or make them suit my workflow better but now it works.”

Today Spaces II costs $159 and the upgrade from Spaces I costs $184.

This is the EW I know. I still love the sound of HO strings and some brass and percussion, I just can’t stand the company. Everything about HOOPUS says nothing has changed.

Where did you hear that? As far as I know there's no upgrade price announced but we know that you need to have all four to be eligible for the unknown upgrade price in the first place.
I’m just confused while reading this thread. And too busy to think things over while playing with my kids;)

I think it's not very nice to push/persuade people to complete their HOD collections (last chance!) without giving even a hint about the upgrade price, especially if it turns out to be on the expensive side (above 3-400). Is it the old foot-in-the-door technique?

It is evident humans are forgetting how to hear. This has been prominent in the entertainment industry for decades, the regression in how to listen... At one time we would go enjoy a live orchestral performance, (which we still do) but in a proper music hall, designed professionally to reflect and amplify sound waves- hence at one point humans designed marvels like the amphitheater back in the Shakespeare era. You could drop a pin during the theater performance and everyone would know that you interrupted the performance, because they were all listening intently and enjoying every nuance. Now we mic the hell out of an orchestra, blast the hell out our ears in mono speakers at performances, and somehow feel like we received our $120.00's worth of entertainment to watch Kingdom Hearts Live and Game of Thrones Live? (Which are my guilty pleasures of course :P Respect to those two shows among others!) But as a result, things are getting louder and more processed and this is evident in mixes too. Take the "loudness war" for example? I'm sure someone has written a dissertation or 30 on this topic? Anyhow, in samples especially, I do feel like we are forgetting how to hear... Like Jay Asher has brought up over a million times, (I listened, and he's 100% correct!) he'll reach for the Vintage mics in EW HW series before even thinking about an EQ knob. And if those mics don't do it? Dial in some spot mics. Because yes!!! HW Series gave us sectional spot mics!!! And now how many Hyped up libraries are coming out that just do not sound natural, yet the younger gen is eating them up and don't seem to notice at all- or care :) (I'm looking at you Jaeger :P Which has the greatest Solo Soprano I've ever owned btw ;p) My rant being, I'll take Williams live or on recording any day of the week! And in total agreeance! HW Series still sounds the best to my ears, because it sounds like a Shawn Murphy recorded orchestra, (Oof) well that is because it is :) Haha, Cheers guys!

I’m just confused while reading this thread. And too busy to think things over while playing with my kids;)
I believe that latest email implies that having all four sections separately is considered the same as owning the Hollywood Orchestra bundle, so they're urging those who only have some sections to "complete" their collection. Before that email, it was understood that there is upgrade path from Hollywood Orchestra but not from individual sections.

I believe that latest email implies that having all four sections separately is considered the same as owning the Hollywood Orchestra bundle, so they're urging those who only have some sections to "complete" their collection. Before that email, it was understood that there is upgrade path from Hollywood Orchestra but not from individual sections.
That’s too bad. But understandable though. No opus for me then.

My personal take on EW. In 2016 when PLAY 5 was released (and after using PLAY for almost five years) I wrote the following:

”This is the way PLAY should have been from the beginning. All those years I've seen my setup as clunky, slow and unstable. Kontakt ran circles around PLAY but the chain is as strong as the weakest link. Now the exactly same setup feels light, fast and reliable. I still can't fix the faults in the libraries or make them suit my workflow better but now it works.”

Today Spaces II costs $159 and the upgrade from Spaces I costs $184.

This is the EW I know. I still love the sound of HO strings and some brass and percussion, I just can’t stand the company. Everything about HOOPUS says nothing has changed.
Hollywood Brass Diamond 159$. Upgrade from Gold 184$.

Top Bottom