What's new

Dorico 5 released (May 24, 2023)

Hi Folks!

I'm just going through all my BBCSO Expression Maps and inputting the delay compensation values from this spreadsheet posted in the Sample Talk Forum Sticky

The spreadsheet is linked below. The instrument sections can be changed to view from the bottom. (I didn't realize that straight away!)

I'm just wondering if these values are correct for the legato (extended) patches. I think these were included when they added in the mutes IIRC. I use these for the default (natural) sound as they respond a bit better than the Long patches from BBC at the sacrifice of monophonic playback. I'm still yet to test all of this. Great feature.

One thing that confuses me a bit is routing all the audio from VEPro 7. I have one instance per section which doesn't really allow me to utilize all of Dorico 5's new space templates and instrument positioning now. Probably one instance per instrument could host several VEPro plugins in D5 which would give me individual mixer channels? Who knows.

Wondering if anyone has used these timings with BBCSO Pro recently.

Cheers Simon.

This is gold!

Ed, I’m curious how much editing of dynamic curves and phrase releases you do with your setup and how you’ve managed that area. I’m finding it a challenge to end phrases well just with score markings and am needing to draw CCs in. This is the one appeal I find for NP and MS4s MPE - it takes care of that aspect for you which can be a time saver for working out the core composition. But then you have to make a separate mock-up after - so the ideal of just doing it all in Dorico still stands. I’ve finally got all my articulation delays automated which has been a huge streamline :)

Ed, I’m curious how much editing of dynamic curves and phrase releases you do with your setup and how you’ve managed that area. I’m finding it a challenge to end phrases well just with score markings and am needing to draw CCs in. This is the one appeal I find for NP and MS4s MPE - it takes care of that aspect for you which can be a time saver for working out the core composition. But then you have to make a separate mock-up after - so the ideal of just doing it all in Dorico still stands. I’ve finally got all my articulation delays automated which has been a huge streamline :)
You can create a mix of NPPE and your own libraries. For me Dorico is about writing, so the less CC editing I have to do during that process the better for me.

That said, I also respond to interesting sounds and experimentation while writing so I think having some key instruments hosted in VEP + NPPE in your Dorico template is a good idea. I'm currently working on that approach myself.

I wrap up my production in my DAW template so I don't lose any sleep if the Dorico mockup doesn't sound final. But I do want it to sound professional and decent enough to show to clients for approval before investing any time in producing it in the DAW.

I think NPPE alone can handle that pretty well for me. But I'd like to have some extra flavors in the Dorico Template.

That’s makes sense, I might at times be losing the forest for the trees while writing by worrying about that level of performance detail

I might at times be losing the forest for the trees
Wouldn't say that. Workflows are very personal.

But my experience is that DAWs are better suited than Dorico for producing. Dorico can handle CC editing very well (I really like its key editor) and it's an ultra-fast midi note entry software. Without mentioning that it allows you to visualize your music in notation which is helpful for notation-based composers.

But I think notation isn't flexible enough for handling many of the nuances of today's music. Particularly if you use sound design, synths, or non-standard instruments. Not to mention complex mixing and mastering.

NPPE is awesome for me. I can keep focusing on writing but now with better sounds. If I go too deep in the "Dorico has to sound like my DAW mockups" rabbit-hole I start losing focus during the writing.

Hi

I actually do none. My goal at the moment is to get as close to realistic just with notation. So lot's of hairpins and popovers. I am trying to get to the point where I HAVE TO start drawing stuff in, but haven't reached it yet. But I am sure I will soon. Probably on a solo passage or somepart that needs oodles of expression.

best

ed

Hi

I actually do none. My goal at the moment is to get as close to realistic just with notation. So lot's of hairpins and popovers. I am trying to get to the point where I HAVE TO start drawing stuff in, but haven't reached it yet. But I am sure I will soon. Probably on a solo passage or somepart that needs oodles of expression.

best

ed
I’m impressed with what you’ve been able to do in the samples you’ve posted just with notation.

I’m impressed with what you’ve been able to do in the samples you’ve posted just with notation.
Thank you !

i've been lucky. I've had a lot of help from John Barron and Daniel Spreadbury and it IS amazing software with lots of opportunities to fine tune a performance.

VSL help too !!

e

I’m going to ask here because I know @Daniel S. is around: is there anyway to choose different Color’s to highlight sections of music (not note colour but the staves and notes). I need to identify different stanzas of a German Xmas Carol and I can’t find an easy way to do it. At least on Dorico. I exported what I’d done in Dorico via xml to MuseScore and found I could achieve this… but this is just a sketch/reduced version of a commission for orchestra and choir that I will be doing in Dorico 5 pro (I’ve already finished the introduction section).

1685581417226.png

I’m going to ask here because I know @Daniel S. is around: is there anyway to choose different Color’s to highlight sections of music (not note colour but the staves and notes). I need to identify different stanzas of a German Xmas Carol and I can’t find an easy way to do it. At least on Dorico. I exported what I’d done in Dorico via xml to MuseScore and found I could achieve this… but this is just a sketch/reduced version of a commission for orchestra and choir that I will be doing in Dorico 5 pro (I’ve already finished the introduction section).

1685581417226.png
happy to see something related to real world composing thing, one day they will get it....

Apparently There is a new VST Audio Engine with this update. It's very late but I have 32 channels set for my VEPro 7 instances and i think by just setting each BBCSO Instrument in a 1 port 16 MIDI Channel WW Instance to every stereo pair 1/2 Picc, 3/4 Flu 1, 5/6, Flu 2, 7/8, Etc all the way up to 31/32 I got each instrument to playback in every channel in the Dorico Mixer! I could be doing something wrong though.

I'll test tomorrow but maybe we are no longer limited to 1 port 16 stereo channels with 1 instance. I had MIDI working with multiple ports via event input in a previous 1 instance setup but now i have 5 instances for each section so this could be killer.

Theres a chart floating around with the exact mic placement/seating for BBCSO Professional. Can't remember. I have not much mixing/panning knowledge but this could be great with stage placement and individual channels?

Maybe someone else could confirm. :) That's a smoking hotfix if so. Straight from the hot stave i mean stove (sorry!) The notes are getting more real?

P.S. Does the HWOpus NPPE make the strings sound a bit strange to anyone? I can't seem to hear much attack. Kind of like a sucking in type effect. I only tried the demo though.

Peace, Simon.

On a slightly off-topic note, I'm fairly certain Dorico will be heading to Splice rent-to-own because with the recent update Dorico opens the Splice program every time I run it.

I've been using MuseScore for the past couple years to transcribe music for learning purposes. I spent a few hours yesterday playing around with Dorico SE 5, and I was really impressed. After going through the four tutorial projects, I was much faster in Dorico than I ever was in MuseScore. Everything in Dorico was more intuitive for me, and I was happy to see how much of the program was familiar having used Cubase as a DAW. I'm also super impressed with the video capabilities in Dorico, it really is just as fluid as video in Cubase. Looking forward to grabbing Elements 5 soon.

since Dorico 5 was announced, I'm seriously thinking about crossgrade from finale. price is just right,
but is it going to overkill for what I do?

80% time I make a lead sheet for bands members, other 20% I make music for strings, horn players.

thing I hate about finale is how finale handles specific chord symbols, especially with b9, b13 etc...

also I'd like to learn more of film scoring (studying string quartet music by myself now.).

Daw I'm using are ; ableton, logic pro x, studio one 5.

If I get dorico 5, should I also get cubase for better integration? wondering how useful steinberg's echo system compare to

dorico 5 + studio one 5 (or logic pro x).

since Dorico 5 was announced, I'm seriously thinking about crossgrade from finale. price is just right,
but is it going to overkill for what I do?

80% time I make a lead sheet for bands members, other 20% I make music for strings, horn players.

thing I hate about finale is how finale handles specific chord symbols, especially with b9, b13 etc...

also I'd like to learn more of film scoring (studying string quartet music by myself now.).

Daw I'm using are ; ableton, logic pro x, studio one 5.

If I get dorico 5, should I also get cubase for better integration? wondering how useful steinberg's echo system compare to

dorico 5 + studio one 5 (or logic pro x).
you won't need Cubase yet. You can loads with just Dorico

e

Just curious -- haven't been able to find this information anywhere -- are the current upgrade prices permanent or are they introductory prices?

Top Bottom