What's new

Negative Track Delay Database / Spreadsheet

David Kudell

Heres a direct link to the database: Link

EDIT: Ok, here's a Google sheet I've created. If you're interested in contributing values for some instruments (and know how to use a Spreadsheet), let me know and I can give you write access.

----
Original post: Is there a database anywhere of negative track delay values? Going through my template, figuring it out, it seems like there ought to be a resource for this - a Google doc or something? Or is everyone just figuring it out on their own? I know some of the manufacturers post their delays (Cinematic Studio Series) but others don't. And some libraries have different delays per instrument.

Maybe there's a way we can create a shared doc or something?

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to have these for the Berlin Series. Especially for staccatos -- it's like every instrument's attack is slightly different (which i suppose is realistic, but that doesn't make it easy to program).

Well I definitely am doing the Berlin series, along with Spitfire Symphonic, so I can share those values when I figure 'em out.

And yeah, my philosophy on this has changed where I'm definitely working in the grid now. My tracks are tighter, it's faster to fix timing issues, and it's much easier to chop up sections on the bar/beat and move them around. Also will be better dealing with picture changes and for matching live recorded sections with samples.

Well I definitely am doing the Berlin series, along with Spitfire Symphonic, so I can share those values when I figure 'em out.

And yeah, my philosophy on this has changed where I'm definitely working in the grid now. My tracks are tighter, it's faster to fix timing issues, and it's much easier to chop up sections on the bar/beat and move them around. Also will be better dealing with picture changes and for matching live recorded sections with samples.
I would be grateful if you would share Spitfire Symphonic when you are done.

I think there was a thread on this forum about a plugin that automatically adjusts the negative track delay for Cinematic Studio Strings in Logic. It would be so helpful if they developed this kind of plugin for Cubase as well, and made it possible to adjust the parameters for other libraries. (Like Hollywood Orchestra Opus in the future :) ) Maybe there are some news regarding this. I must admit that I am not a very active member.

If someone developed this, I would gladly pay for the plugin.

There are some obvious acceptable ones though - eg Performance Samples advertise the pre-delay settings on their site. The database could cover these, and also identify specific delays per articulation. Velocity-based differences would be hard to accommodate though.

That would be hard to do. Many libraries have a different delay depending on the dynamic of the articulation (like a mp staccato with -40ms and a ff staccato with -20ms.)
That’s bonkers, why would they do that? Well, in that case you just have to pick the shorter number and use that.

I did thread where i tried to calculate all of the timings for the BBCSO core but found that for some reason when i went to render the track to audio the spitfire player didnt seem to like the negative delays.

Audio Imperia Areia has 250ms, i believe this is standard for them and Nucleus has the same sample start delays.

i wonder what ms should i set for 8dio adagietto/adagio. i tried -250ms and i'm not sure if i'm satisfied with the results... also i heard people using auddict master woodwind with -120ms. i guess it would be a lot of experimentation to make it less sluggish.

Ok, here's a Google Sheets doc I have created. I'll be adding to it with instruments I have as I go. If you're interested in adding to it, let me know and I can give you write access.

I don't have the following, so if you want to add those values, let me know:
Vienna, East West, Audio Imperia, Musical Sampling, Infinite Series, Heavyocity, Cinesamples.

I think this will work for some developers that are consistent with these things, but some are not. Spitfire for example usually differ, not just between instruments, but also between articulations, and even between velocity layers (by design though).

Top Bottom