What's new

CSS/ CSB Hanging Notes

Good idea but That doesn’t work for me because when I get hanging notes they’re not just at the end of the phrase but in the middle of the phrase or anywhere in the phrase.
and putting the cc123 after each note will not make the legato work
That seems very unusual then. Are you getting hanging notes in between legato transitions?

I think the hanging notes problem is related to Kontakt. When i disable Multiprocessor support inside kontakt there are no more hanging notes in CSS.

As soon as you enable it (2,4,6,8 etc cores) the hanging notes begins.

I'm using Studio one 5.

No problems when I use the same settings but inside VePro.

I think the hanging notes problem is related to Kontakt. When i disable Multiprocessor support inside kontakt there are no more hanging notes in CSS.

I'm using Studio one 5.

Hi, it helps me! Really works.
System configuration: Win 10, AMD 2400G, Studio One 5.

I'm using Studio one 5.

When you turn off the Multiprocessor support, the CPU usage increases a lot. Especially in full patches.

I’m on Cubase 11, Windows 10, 32 gigs ram and I tried this yesterday just on my violin 1 legato patch and all last night I had no issues. I was having the worst hanging notes it was unbearable. I have been reading in several forums and some forums are saying it’s a kontakt issue and other forums are saying it’s a Cinematic Studio libraries issue.I did read Alex had a fix coming soon but that was last summer. What’s weird is many people have no issues but many do. kontakt 6.4.1 specifically said it had fix for cinematic studio libraries but it didn’t fix it. I’ve read the only way to fix it for now is to go back to 6.3.1. Fingers crossed someone fixes it soon i think we have all been very patient. I’ll post later how it works for me today and keep an eye on the cpu usage as well. Thanks !!!!

I have no idea if this is a fix or even the same problem, so I'll briefly describe the problem and how I fixed it.

I had a section of spiccato shorts that ended on a Marcato note, and for some reason the Marcato note would sustain without end. It would stop if I went back to the spiccato part, but every time I hit the Marcato note the same thing would happen. This had happened to me before, but I'm not sure how or if I ever did actually fix the problem.

Anyway, the way I fixed this just recently was I accidentally changed my cc controller lane (in Cubase) to 64, and saw that the sustain had been activated. This made no sense to me, as I'm fairly certain I never changed it, though I suppose I might've while messing around with some piano MIDI (could be a bug of some kind activated it I guess). I have no idea, all I know is I deactivated the sustain and I no longer had the problem, and haven't had it since.

So possible solution: check your sustain cc and make sure you haven't accidentally activated it. I know in Cubase it is fairly easy to make changes on the wrong track, which I'm guessing is what I did.

I have no idea if this is a fix or even the same problem, so I'll briefly describe the problem and how I fixed it.

I had a section of spiccato shorts that ended on a Marcato note, and for some reason the Marcato note would sustain without end. It would stop if I went back to the spiccato part, but every time I hit the Marcato note the same thing would happen. This had happened to me before, but I'm not sure how or if I ever did actually fix the problem.

Anyway, the way I fixed this just recently was I accidentally changed my cc controller lane (in Cubase) to 64, and saw that the sustain had been activated. This made no sense to me, as I'm fairly certain I never changed it, though I suppose I might've while messing around with some piano MIDI (could be a bug of some kind activated it I guess). I have no idea, all I know is I deactivated the sustain and I no longer had the problem, and haven't had it since.

So possible solution: check your sustain cc and make sure you haven't accidentally activated it. I know in Cubase it is fairly easy to make changes on the wrong track, which I'm guessing is what I did.
Miles how are you deactivating it? i have gone to midi/note expressions/note expression midi setup and cc64 it is not x or checked as active. Am I missing something? I checked that once before but I want to be sure I’m doing it correctly. I have had multi processors off in kontakt with no issues but eventually it’s going to affect my cpu usage. Thanks

Miles how are you deactivating it? i have gone to midi/note expressions/note expression midi setup and cc64 it is not x or checked as active. Am I missing something? I checked that once before but I want to be sure I’m doing it correctly. I have had multi processors off in kontakt with no issues but eventually it’s going to affect my cpu usage. Thanks
Hmm, not sure to what you're referring exactly. Assuming you're using Cubase (I'm unfamiliar with other DAW's), then you simply change the controller lane CC beneath your normal MIDI area by clicking the tiny down arrow. You then change the CC to 64, which is sustain. It's activated by using the little pen-type icon and making a dot, which you then drag up or down. Up activates, down deactivates, or if there is no dot at all then it's in its default position (which isn't active). You can delete the dot by highlighting it and hitting the delete button.

I'm guessing this isn't your problem if you're unfamiliar with CC64 in the controller lane (again, assuming you're using Cubase). You would've had to have been messing with something that required sustain in order to change it in the first place, unless there really is a bug that somehow randomly activates the sustain...which I am doubting is the case. I use CC64 all the time because the piece I'm working on has piano in it so there's all kinds of sustain going on and off, so I'm guessing that's what my problem was.

Last edited:
Hmm, not sure to what you're referring exactly. Assuming you're using Cubase (I'm unfamiliar with other DAW's), then you simply change the controller lane CC beneath your normal MIDI area by clicking the tiny down arrow. You then change the CC to 64, which is sustain. It's activated by using the little pen-type icon and making a dot, which you then drag up or down. Up activates, down deactivates, or if there is no dot at all then it's in its default position (which isn't active). You can delete the dot by highlighting it and hitting the delete button.

I'm guessing this isn't your problem if you're unfamiliar with CC64 in the controller lane (again, assuming you're using Cubase). You would've had to have been messing with something that required sustain in order to change it in the first place, unless there really is a bug that somehow randomly activates the sustain...which I am doubting is the case. I use CC64 all the time because the piece I'm working on has piano in it so there's all kinds of sustain going on and off, so I'm guessing that's what my problem was.
Oh I see I gotcha now. Yes I’m on Cubase 11 pro ! I just deleted the sustain all
Together but I might add it back and check my cc 64 lane just to see if I have accidentally wrote some midi info in cc64. I’ll let you know what I find out. Thank you !!!!

Same here, Logic CSS/B/W

John had mentioned that there would be a fix to it next update so I'm hoping it will be soon

With Cinebrass (Core and Pro) it happens only with the legatos (and there a lot, Logic + VEP), so I compose with sustains instead of legatos until it is finished. Then I implement the legatos at the end. PITA but Cinesamples were not interested in addressing this problem at the time when I asked about it.

So, does anyone have solution for this?
I guess we still have to wait till the update.

There is a small workaround that i use sometimes: if you put a short dummy note after the last long note , there will be no hanging note. But even if it's easily done, it's an annoying workaround and you still have to delete the dummy note afterwards.

...There is a small workaround that i use sometimes: if you put a short dummy note after the last long note , there will be no hanging note.
I was annoyed with notes stuck on CSSS and CSS. The problem generaly appeared during rendering export process. Its a part with big tempo changes (step). I looked at my Cubase 11 Expression Map. Nothing to do. Then I add a dummy short note after the one with issue, then problem solved. Thanks @Living Fossil for you workaround tips.

Last edited:
Cubase 11, Win10, Expression Maas configured only Note ON events (no CC58 usage)
Still, stuck - hanging notes when stoping playback in the middle of notes...
It is a real problem, everything I could do configuring did not solve the problem. Maybe an update will, I still see version 1.0 with no updates for CSSS

Never had any issues until earlier today, but it went away once I started deleting the CC64/Sustain data. :emoji_thinking:

Cubase Pro (Windows) 11.0.20, Build 357 here, combined with Art Conductor 7. Thanks for all the tips you guys gave me on where to look. Drove me bonkers. :emoji_confounded:

Last edited:
Top Bottom