What's new

CSS/ CSB Hanging Notes

I'm a user of Mac and Logic Pro. I have for libraries of css csss csb csw. It happened during the short demo, and it happened the whole time. I exchanged e-mails with Alex several times due to this problem and received an answer that he would try my best to solve this problem. So we have to bear some inconvenience until it's fixed! I'm gonna test it on Studio One.

I'm not really sure but I think it has to do with chase events in Logic. When pressing the start button Logic plays the last events of the previous region to make sure all controllers are sent to the right level. Notes too but with an immediate stop and then the original notes of the current region are played. This happens fast... and I think it's too fast for Kontakt when scripting is involved. It happens in the CSS series and in Infinite Brass and Woodwinds too. When Berlin Strings came out there was the same problem... Orchestraltools solved it in an update years ago. Maybe someone should ask them how they did it!

I don't have that much hanging notes when I don't start playback at the start of regions (at the beginning of the bar mostly). Less hanging notes when starting playback on the "four".

Thanks for the info. Definitely saw where ‘chase’ might be helping this problem occur but I’ve never had it cause a problem for me in any other library so it concerns me. : / Have been really wanting to grab it and noticing the developer saying they were working on a fix, but that was quite some time ago and then silence.

Kontakt has design flaws related to the timing of cc events and note events within the same process block. This might affect things when cc58 is being used for switching articulations. In my view nobody should use cc58 with cinematic studio products due to this kontakt general problem. Try changing to not using cc58, use the NoteOn keyswitches instead, and also try a smaller audio buffer to lessen the liklihood of it happening.

I think @Dewdman42 is on to something here. I have the same problem with CineWinds - notes get hung occasionally. But I am also using CC's for articulation switching with that library.

Normally pressing 'stop' a second time on transport takes care of this, but I sometimes have to go into Kontakt and hit the panic button.

So I don't think this issue is unique to CSS / CSB.

It can (and still does) happen with a wide variety of libraries. But mostly with Cinebrass (I don't have CSS). I still avoid using legato articulations for sketching due to this issue.

In my opinion kontakt library developers should not ever use cc switches due to this kontakt design flaw. Cc can be used for certain parameters global to the instrument but probably should not be used for articulation switching.

Infinite Brass and Infinite Woodwinds have the same problem but both libraries don't use any key switch. Berlin Strings (in the first released version) had key switches but no CC articulation switching.

Thst i can’t explain, but I don’t know those. I’m only referencing specifically to kontakt’s design flaw regarding the timing of cc’s and notes. Specifically, within any given process block (the elapsed time of the audio buffer), all the cc’s of that time period are processed before any of the notes. So the last cc switch would be the one used for all the notes of that time period, rather then exactly matching the cc switches to each note as was programmed in the daw.

It goes without saying that each kontakt library has a lot of ksp programming that can cause hanging notes for any number of improper coding reasons

I fixed my hanging notes.
I set CC64 to 0 in my midi editor and the hanging notes stopped. For some reason, the default state for my version of CSS has the sustain pedal on!

I just got CSS a few weeks ago and have been having the hanging notes problem in Logic. And, I mean, really bad. I tried setting CC64 to 0 and that didn't work for me. I am using CC58 for my articulation maps, so that's still something to look at. But, like others have mentioned, I have problems with the Infinite series having stuck notes and they don't use articulations at all. I finally decided to turn off note chasing, just to see if that had anything to do with the problem and I haven't had a stuck note since. Hmm. I don't really like having that off, but I'm curious about why Logic's note chasing is messing up some of these Kontakt libraries and if there might be something that Apple or NI could do to fix this. I suspect that too much note data is being sent too quickly and it's not being processed correctly? But, that's just a guess...

first question, which version of LogicPro are you using?

It could be related to many notes funneling, but I think unlikely. The way to reduce that likelihood is to go into audio prefs and set the following which can help, but you really have to be funneling quite a lot of notes at once to have that problem come up:

Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 10.34.10 AM.jpg

I'm not sure right now why note chasing would cause that to happen I will put some more thought into it in a few days, going to be away from computer for a few days.

I'm on 10.7.4. I have my audio prefs set up like yours, except I have my Process Buffer set to Medium. I'll set it to Large and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Try to switch of chase events (notes) in project settings (midi). Sometimes a bit inconvenient to work with but it helps here to avoid hanging notes.

Try to switch of chase events (notes) in project settings (midi). Sometimes a bit inconvenient to work with but it helps here to avoid hanging notes.
Yes, this absolutely works for me. No hung notes if note chasing is off. I just would prefer that I didn't have to do that. It seems like it should be a solvable problem. Opus doesn't do that and I don't remember having these problems with my Kontakt Spitfire libraries or most of my other libraries, now that I think about it. CSS and Infinite series are the worst offenders for me in the hung note category.

Top Bottom