What's new

Liquidsonics announces "7th Heaven" (based on Bricasti M7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does help, thanks. Bottom line for me is that while I am indeed happy with my reverbs, if I can get a software reverb at that price that truly rivals boxes that cost over 3k, I might consider it. Keep us updated, please.

Darnit, i just bought VSS3 native a couple of weeks ago. Just the GUI of this makes me wanna buy it ^^.
Gonna download the demo this weekend and try.

It does help, thanks. Bottom line for me is that while I am indeed happy with my reverbs, if I can get a software reverb at that price that truly rivals boxes that cost over 3k, I might consider it. Keep us updated, please.

And there's the rub!

In all candor the PCM-90 is not a M-7, it isn't even the best reverb Lexicon ever sold. And yet it adds something to the mix that I've been unable to add with a plug-in (and that could be entirely on me and a lack of skill, but since I can get that extra little bit of magic with the PCM-90 that's what I do.)

Will any plug-in ever replace hardware?

I think it does happen from time to time. I think the UAD dBX 160 sounds better than most of the hardware 160s I've used - it's kind of an "idealized" version. Same goes for the UAD LA-2 and probably the UAD 1176, and some of the API and Neve preamps, although I would never turn down the hardware versions - and in some cases the imperfections in the hardware provide character that the model does not.

The UAD Lexicon 224 is amazing, but it behaves differently than the 224s that I used years ago - or at least it behaves differently than I remember the hardware behavior. Which is better? Is there a "better"?

Without a Bricasti M7 in my studio I'm afraid I can't say "truly rivals". Heck with my monitors and ears I might not be able to answer. And my version of "truly rivals" might be different than your version. I'm familiar with some of your plugins, and I've heard a number of your mixes. And I still can't say with any certainty that 7th Heaven will up your game. It will add to your tools, and you'll use it, but will it up your game?

These days I try to think less about "does this plugin replace the hardware?" and more about "does this plugin add to my capabilities?" or even "does this plugin (or library) just sound really cool?" It's a matter of mindset, and discipline (I could easily go broke on software alone!)

The 7th Heaven plugin is fantastic, and sounds awesome, and it's easy to use. But I haven't begun to wring every last ounce out of Nimbus or R4.

If only I were independently wealthy.

And there's the rub!

In all candor the PCM-90 is not a M-7, it isn't even the best reverb Lexicon ever sold. And yet it adds something to the mix that I've been unable to add with a plug-in (and that could be entirely on me and a lack of skill, but since I can get that extra little bit of magic with the PCM-90 that's what I do.)

Will any plug-in ever replace hardware?

I think it does happen from time to time. I think the UAD dBX 160 sounds better than most of the hardware 160s I've used - it's kind of an "idealized" version. Same goes for the UAD LA-2 and probably the UAD 1176, and some of the API and Neve preamps, although I would never turn down the hardware versions - and in some cases the imperfections in the hardware provide character that the model does not.

The UAD Lexicon 224 is amazing, but it behaves differently than the 224s that I used years ago - or at least it behaves differently than I remember the hardware behavior. Which is better? Is there a "better"?

Without a Bricasti M7 in my studio I'm afraid I can't say "truly rivals". Heck with my monitors and ears I might not be able to answer. And my version of "truly rivals" might be different than your version. I'm familiar with some of your plugins, and I've heard a number of your mixes. And I still can't say with any certainty that 7th Heaven will up your game. It will add to your tools, and you'll use it, but will it up your game?

These days I try to think less about "does this plugin replace the hardware?" and more about "does this plugin add to my capabilities?" or even "does this plugin (or library) just sound really cool?" It's a matter of mindset, and discipline (I could easily go broke on software alone!)

The 7th Heaven plugin is fantastic, and sounds awesome, and it's easy to use. But I haven't begun to wring every last ounce out of Nimbus or R4.

If only I were independently wealthy.

Thanks, if I don't download the demo, I won't have to decide :)

I don't own a Bricasti and I never worked with one.
I know the Lexicon stuff and as far as I know the secret of the Lexi reverb is - beside a clear sound and not too much treble - the slight pitch modulation of the reverb tail. That makes the Lexicons rather resistant against impulse response sampling because the modulation can't be captured.
Does the Bricasti work in the same way? And if so, does Seventh Heaven also modulate the impulse responses?

Yes, the M7 has a set of clean tail presets and one with modulation so you'll see preset banks like Chambers1 and Chamber2. The convolution sampling does capture the Bricasti default modulation. AFAIK in SH you can't change that amount like you could in an algo reverb but it's fine, subtle but present.

From the SH Pro manual: "The number after the category indicates the version of the M7 algorithm used in the presets. The v1 algorithm presets have static tails, and the v2 presets have modulated tails. All have modulated early reflections and very low frequency reverb components."
(broken link removed)

sooo again... iam not at home and cant try the demo yet.
is it alot better than reverberate 2? :)

maybe someone has an audio comparison file? ;)

For those who might not seen this,
This what the highly critical yet always amusing forum member "repeteer" wrote at 'the other vi forum":

The first few hours I wasn’t too impressed with this plug-in, even to the point of thinking: I hope this doesn’t sound anything like a Bricasti, because if this is what a Bricasti sounds like, I honestly don’t understand what the fuss is all about.

But those first few hours have passed, and I’ve grown rather more enthusiastic. And accustomed to the tune, it whistles night and noon.
While I’m still not sure about several of the larger spaces — there’s something whirly going in some of these long tails which might work very well in a mix (haven’t tried that yet), but which, on its own, I don’t really like the sound of —, the short reverbs however are rrrrreally good.

I also like the ‘Ambience’ category very much. Some of these presets don’t generate a discernible reverb, but more a sort of suggestion of air around a source signal. Very, very useful. (To give one example: a great way to push a bass back in the mix without having to give it potentially dangerous amounts of reverb.)

Well designed, very versatile — with lots of control of just about everything you ever might want to control (except stereowidth), good sound (not quite “Wow! Never heard reverb like this before!”-good perhaps, but still pretty good and sounding really different from everything else I own), so I switched the demo license for a permanent one. I'm already using it on a job, and to good effect, which was an extra stimulant.

Proving once again that you are the much wiser man!

I enjoyed your exchange with Jay. Really, reverb should be used so subtlety, if used properly, it can be difficult to tell one from another. Yet, I can still tell when QL Spaces did a better job than B2. But the truth is, nobody else could tell.....my best guess. I am going to give them some money to keep them going though going against what I said in my first post. They are on the right track and I feel guilty about all of my toxic posts now. This seems to be a big step up from their previous software so the next big step, in a few years, may be the killer VST reverb that we all want and that everyone can hear the difference. I am not saying you guys should buy it. But I should buy it just because them allowing me to express my anti-software protection opinion. I had no idea that I was the only person out of billions who felt that way. Now I know. Sorry Liquid Sonics. You do good work. You will see my money soon.

I own an actual Bricasti M7, and without a doubt, it's been my most important studio acquisition in the last 3 years. Nothing sounds as good as an M7, in my opinion, and part of the reason for that is how the M7 melds with the source. All other reverbs sound like the source plus reverb on top, almost as a separate layer that you can hear apart from the source. This is the reason so many love the M7, it solves this problem. I was talking to Brian from Bricasti about this and he said it was one of their prime directives in its design.

I've been thinking about getting a second M7 for the six months, but I bought Seventh Heaven Pro and compared dozens of its presets to their counterparts on the actual M7. It's so incredibly close, and most of the time completely indistinguishable from the hardware. It also has that same source-melding characteristic. I'm thrilled with it.

Thanks Gary, I think your "source-melding" is very descriptive. I don't own the M7, but I am trying 7th Heaven, and I think the description fits. I find that Nimbus and R4 have a similar impact, curious if you've ever tried them?

Sadly I'm still not sure that 7th Heaven would improve my mixes (not suggesting my mixes can't benefit from improvements, rather that my skills aren't yet up to the task!). But you've given me something to think about, put words to an impression I couldn't put into words.

Thanks Gary, I think your "source-melding" is very descriptive. I don't own the M7, but I am trying 7th Heaven, and I think the description fits. I find that Nimbus and R4 have a similar impact, curious if you've ever tried them?

Sadly I'm still not sure that 7th Heaven would improve my mixes (not suggesting my mixes can't benefit from improvements, rather that my skills aren't yet up to the task!). But you've given me something to think about, put words to an impression I couldn't put into words.

I have Nimbus and haven't really given it a fair shake yet, and not sure I'll get around to it (too into the M7 and Seventh Heaven for now). I do own Exponential's M7 Control for use with my actual M7 though, it's great.

I own an actual Bricasti M7, and without a doubt, it's been my most important studio acquisition in the last 3 years. Nothing sounds as good as an M7, in my opinion, and part of the reason for that is how the M7 melds with the source. All other reverbs sound like the source plus reverb on top, almost as a separate layer that you can hear apart from the source. This is the reason so many love the M7, it solves this problem. I was talking to Brian from Bricasti about this and he said it was one of their prime directives in its design.

I've been thinking about getting a second M7 for the six months, but I bought Seventh Heaven Pro and compared dozens of its presets to their counterparts on the actual M7. It's so incredibly close, and most of the time completely indistinguishable from the hardware. It also has that same source-melding characteristic. I'm thrilled with it.

any chance you could post a couple of side by side examples? I know that may be asking a lot with busy schedules and all. So please feel free to decline my request. I'm just curious to hear the similarities/differences.

Just so we don't get into any illusions here, the original poster is a not a developer. Why it ended up in commercial announcements is a mystery. Looks like Liquidsonics got a treasure chest of free advertising. Thread locked. If Matt wants to get advertising, he'll let us know. In the interim, regarding commercial announcement protocol, since this wasn't really, no harm no foul. And no more comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom