What's new

Liquidsonics announces "7th Heaven" (based on Bricasti M7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snip...>

Sorry ... I'd like to have had my mind changed about it so that I could look at Seventh Heaven, but I'll still be avoiding iLok-crippled software for the foreseeable future. Best of luck to you.

In my opinion Matt makes great products and it seems to me he's just trying to protect his investment and livelihood...

Describing it as "crippled" seems a bit... well... extreme to me... but, umm... :cool:

Last edited:
I don't like dongles, but i gotta say i have used iloks for years now, with no problems, bought an ilok 3 for 29 bucks on ebay brand new at auction last month.most ilok stuff now allows more than 1 activation, so i have all i need duplicated on another ilok.I have had zero problems, and understand how crippling piracy can be for some, especially small downloads like reverb software.I guess in a world that does not need iloks, we also wouldn't need cruise missiles....

Developers don't really have much of a choice these days.
Lose sales to piracy, or lose sales to customers boycotting their products over their copy protection choice.

They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Since this is a commercial thread...and also out of respect to the developer..may I suggest that we return to a discussion about the product, and discuss the pros and cons of iLoks in another thread perhaps? It's worth noting though that that topic has already been discussed ad infinitum previously, and like the Mac vs. PC threads it never led to a definitive conclusion. :)

Yes, sensible. Have any users of Reverberate 2 tried this yet, and could they give their opinion on the perceived differences in sound between the two sets of IRs, if any? That would be highly appreciated.

Trying out the demo at the moment. My first impression - while it's not the most transparent reverb ever, it more than makes up for that by having tons and tons of character. Some of the warmest and most colourful sounds I've ever heard form a digital reverb.. Going to do some comparisons between this and other reverbs I have..

id also like to know the difference between this and reverberate 2. is it really that much better?

Can't blame them for protecting themselves using Ilok. Soooo many people use cracked sw. Even "professionals" who make good money. It's in our own interest that developers of all kinds can innovate and get paid for their innovations. And whatever they have to do to protect themselves, we should (imo) support that...

iLok offers no protection. Most of this sh!t-storm that is cracked software was directly related to iLok and EastWest back around 2005. One pissed dude got the ball rolling. A heavyweight composer even admitted to using a cracked version because it didn't crash! Don't recall his name.

Trying out the demo at the moment. My first impression - while it's not the most transparent reverb ever, it more than makes up for that by having tons and tons of character. Some of the warmest and most colourful sounds I've ever heard form a digital reverb.. Going to do some comparisons between this and other reverbs I have..
Maybe between 7th Heaven and Relab VSR S24?

iLok is fine. Been using an iLok 2 pretty much since it came out with very few issues. As far as I know, the second generation iLok is still pretty darn secure.

7th Heaven looks cool. :)

Doing the demo of R4 at the moment (and loving it).
I guess I'll download 7th and give it a try.
I've had Reverberate for years and it's my main IR verb but if 7th Heaven is as slick as it looks, I may have to get both (R4 and 7th).

I've had and iLok and elicenser for 5 or 6 years and never had an issue with either.
I was dead set against dongles before that but I admit that my fears never materialized.
I just can't see why some software company like Google or Microsoft couldn't create a central site where every app and plugin could be downloaded and secured.
I have so many download managers I wouldn't guess how many there are in my system folder.
And I'm guessing that those management apps aren't free.
All those complexities sure do make "clean installs" a pain in the ass!

Software security is an illusion. Everything can be cracked. It just depends on the ability of the cracker. Just look at Denuvo: "Denuvo is the global #1 Application Protection and Anti-Piracy Technology Platform with 350+ million software licenses issued and revalidated." Many, many people and developers said, their system was absolutely safe. A couple of months later it was cracked.

Sometimes I wish the same would happen to PACE and eLicenser and developers would act for their customers and not against them. Look at Klanghelm and Hornet Audio. They have no copy protection at all and still manage to keep up their business. Or Fabfilter/u-he et al: simple serial number. Some of the best developers around and thriving.

These guys have successfully done something: they made their company likeable and their products great (dammit I start sounding like Trump). They made people want to support their work. U-he's Urs is a hell of a guy and it would hurt me to harm everything he does. The same goes for a lot of other devs: Spitfire Audio (although I dislike their Paypal issue :D), Alex (Cinematic Studio Series), Sean (ValhallaDSP), Aaron from Musical Sampling, just to name a few. Make people value your work and you will succeed, just don't "Lok" them out.

OnTopic: I'd totally get my hands on 7th Heaven. :)

These guys have successfully done something: they made their company likeable and their products great (dammit I start sounding like Trump). They made people want to support their work.[...] Make people value your work and you will succeed, just don't "Lok" them out.

To be honest: I think they just simply get pirated and choose to suck it up.
I believe that assholes will crack and pirate software no matter how you "treat" them. There's no winning them over by being an extra cool guy.

Having that said, I absolutely agree that many "protection" solutions actually mainly piss off and criminalize honest users while the pirates continue to not give a shit.

iLok is fine. Been using an iLok 2 pretty much since it came out with very few issues.

THAT exactly is the point. Every manufacturer is somehow protecting their plugins, either by serial numbers or by license control software.

iLok has proven here on many occasions that it is the only (!) solution which absolutely survives systems updates, hard disk exchanges etc. All iLok protected plugins are usable from the 1st second onwards with my new, updated computer - while all serial number protected plugins have been a PITA searching license numbers, entering them one by one, activating stuff again and - in rare cases - even running into issues where deactivation whould have to take place prior to installing a new OS so that the new serials simply won´t work.

Since Reverberate 2 doesn't require iLok I was happy to purchase it at the time. How disappointing it is to see that they've added an iLok requirement for Seventh Heaven ... otherwise I'd almost certainly have been getting this.

Edit: I emailed Liquidsonics about this, and they responded almost immediately, to their credit. I was very sorry to hear from them how widely Reverberate 2 was pirated (pirates SUCK), but I nonetheless had to tell them that, unfortunately, I can only consider continuing to purchase software from them if they eventually make available a non-iLok, non-PACE alternative for copy protection.
The iLok put me off too I'm afraid. But that is so very disappointing to hear about the pirating. Reverberate 2 was one of the most affordable (unbelievable really considering what you get) convo reverbs around. I picked it up on sale and it was ridiculously cheap. I don't understand the need to pirate when devs offer excellent products at very fair prices. On this occasion I feel their pain and understand why they have done it this way. Sad for the rest of us.

Edit - just seen @playz123 post and you are quite correct. This should be about 7th Heaven.

Last edited:
Can't blame them for protecting themselves using Ilok. Soooo many people use cracked sw. Even "professionals" who make good money. It's in our own interest that developers of all kinds can innovate and get paid for their innovations. And whatever they have to do to protect themselves, we should (imo) support that...
Couldn't agree more. Don't blame them one bit for taking steps to protect their IP.

Since this is a commercial thread...and also out of respect to the developer..may I suggest that we return to a discussion about the product, and discuss the pros and cons of iLoks in another thread perhaps? It's worth noting though that that topic has already been discussed ad infinitum previously, and like the Mac vs. PC threads it never led to a definitive conclusion. :)

Lots with opinions and past bitches! Other Forums too. So much for dogs with bones ........
Made 'early' mistake _ COMMERCIAL Announcements _ (violating decorum) and got shite on quickly! Guess same source has no concern here ....

Thanks so much for at least standing up and trying !! :2thumbs:

Let me say up front, I have used iLok and eLicenser with no issues. But this paranoia about people stealing your software and almost putting you out of business I do not buy. I write software. What I have found is that about 1% steal. Because people cannot stand that 1% stealing, they punish the other 99% with "You must have iLOK 2, You must have iLOK3, you cannot use computer authentication because the pirates may go from 1% to 1.1%. They seem to say "We hate pirates so much, we are going to punish our paying customers for their evil deeds." In the 1960s, there was this store near my grandma's house, Walton's, who sold candy. Some kids stole candy from him. I did not. Most kids did not. I would say less than one percent of children stole candy from Mr Walton. Did he ban all children? Did he require that all children have a dongle before they entered his store because he distrusted all children because of the evil 1%. No. He wrote the 1% off and catered to the 99% who made him a tidy profit. I have iLok 3 now. I don't care how good this software is. I won't buy it because this policy of "we don't trust computer authentication" is so paranoid and ridiculous. I don't use computer authentication for iLok, only the dongle, but the fact that they are denying it makes me go to principle (a little kid once said "Ma, it's not the school. It's the principal of the thing"). They won't see one dime of my money, even if it means my tracks are worse than the norm. Paranoid narcissists is what I am thinking about the LS policy. Of course all the other narcissists will disagree, so y'all all jump in and disagree. The water is fine. After all, it is all about you so my opinion does not count.

Let me say up front, I have used iLok and eLicenser with no issues. But this paranoia about people stealing your software and almost putting you out of business I do not buy. I write software. What I have found is that about 1% steal. Because people cannot stand that 1% stealing, they punish the other 99% with "You must have iLOK 2, You must have iLOK3, you cannot use computer authentication because the pirates may go from 1% to 1.1%. They seem to say "We hate pirates so much, we are going to punish our paying customers for their evil deeds." In the 1960s, there was this store near my grandma's house, Walton's, who sold candy. Some kids stole candy from him. I did not. Most kids did not. I would say less than one percent of children stole candy from Mr Walton. Did he ban all children? Did he require that all children have a dongle before they entered his store because he distrusted all children because of the evil 1%. No. He wrote the 1% off and catered to the 99% who made him a tidy profit. I have iLok 3 now. I don't care how good this software is. I won't buy it because this policy of "we don't trust computer authentication" is so paranoid and ridiculous. I don't use computer authentication for iLok, only the dongle, but the fact that they are denying it makes me go to principle (a little kid once said "Ma, it's not the school. It's the principal of the thing"). They won't see one dime of my money, even if it means my tracks are worse than the norm. Paranoid narcissists is what I am thinking about the LS policy. Of course all the other narcissists will disagree, so y'all all jump in and disagree. The water is fine. After all, it is all about you so my opinion does not count.
Some good points there but maybe tone down the rhetoric(?). Nobody has gone over the top in the thread yet IMHO. This thread should be about 7th heaven. Any discussions about iLok and piracy probably belong in their own thread in another section. As I said, you have some good points and would be worth airing them elsewhere.

Edit - I just bumped an old iLok thread in SampleTalk to perhaps continue the disucssion (or not).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom