What's new

Afflatus Brass? - Strezov "The Adventure Continues"

I think I'm pretty likely to pull the trigger on this, I was already a fan of Strezov's brass work back when they were releasing the sections as individual libraries. That said, I find it really perplexing whenever a library is offered for pre-order without a walkthrough video - hoping one gets posted soon.

Yes I have the strings and will probably go for this as well. The lack of portamento (save for the 1st chairs) is my only gripe that forces me to grab LASS for those moments. Hopefully the strings get revisited at some point. Brass demos sound great.

Yes I have the strings and will probably go for this as well. The lack of portamento (save for the 1st chairs) is my only gripe that forces me to grab LASS for those moments. Hopefully the strings get revisited at some point. Brass demos sound great.
There are some portamento patches in afflatus strings, but I agree, LASS is the natural choice for that.

I think the intro offer combined with the loyalty discount is a very fair price looking at both the quantity as well as the quality of what you (seem to) get. For me, it's of limits though, as I have indeed more than ten flagship brass libraries already and it just doesn't make sense for me as a simple hobbyist to keep spending - especially in this time of inflation.

Last edited:
As for portamento, I use it a minimum in general because I find that in all libraries it just sounds like a pitch bend....

Waiting for more details, but given a single session in a good hall for a brass section this size would be many thousands, it seems like a great price to me.

It sounds great, however there are so many super brass libraries on the market already.

Not to say there isn't room for this one; there very well may be.

But competition is tough in the sample library market these days.

I like the demos, at this stage they just show a little bit of the library though. Somehow I trust Strezov with brass that's organic, playable and feels alive. And those special curated ensembles will be nice. I'm just curious what they actually sound like.

If it’s as warm, playable and enjoyable to work with as the Chapter 1 Strings, it will get a lot of use here. And from the demos it sure sounds like it will be.

Hoping a reasonably complete walkthrough is available for this soon. It's a nice set of instruments and a good set of articulations. I would have wished for another dynamic layer—5 for the open brass, 3 for the mutes rather than 4 and 2. But especially a softer layer, or a whole ensemble laid out for very soft playing—three dynamic layers pp-p-mp—so that luscious velvety brass tone can emerge. It's a shame that no sample library has really yet captured it, and it doesn't seem this one has either.

The demos so far are oriented around the big full brass sound rather than more delicate brass (unless I missed it in one of the demos, except for a solo here and there, most of the brass is presented in the mp range maybe dipping to p at the softest level), and though I know everyone seems most concerned that their brass go well beyond 11, that big wild brass isn't really the sound I'm interested in, especially since it's not an especially common sound in the concert hall even when parts are marked fff (and it's a sound also well covered in other libraries at this point).

I'm also not hearing much distinctive from the trombones in any of the demos. Other than shouting, snarling, and barking, trombones have not generally been well served by sample libraries, especially for their usual accompaniment role in orchestras or their characteristic noble solis. The horn version of both of these is well handled by samples for the most part so it's curious that the trombones have proved resistant.

I’ve been on the hunt for a new brass library. This definitely seems interesting!

Do you guys think there any more demos or a walkthrough coming, or are we stuck with choosing between either: waiting for reviews and walkthroughs but risking having to pay full price; or buying it for the pre-release price but risking mayor disappointment?

I mean, the pre-release price seems more then fair but that’s only true if the library can live up what is promised. I’ve already spent enough time and money on libraries that underdelivered. I don’t want to spend more just to expand my sample library graveyard.

Bonus question for anyone who’s been using a lot of Strezov libraries: Is it plausible to expect this library to be an all around, bread and butter, workhorse or am I better off just getting CSB or Infinite Brass instead?

I’ve been on the hunt for a new brass library. This definitely seems interesting!

Do you guys think there any more demos or a walkthrough coming, or are we stuck with choosing between either: waiting for reviews and walkthroughs but risking having to pay full price; or buying it for the pre-release price but risking mayor disappointment?

I mean, the pre-release price seems more then fair but that’s only true if the library can live up what is promised. I’ve already spent enough time and money on libraries that underdelivered. I don’t want to spend more just to expand my sample library graveyard.

Bonus question for anyone who’s been using a lot of Strezov libraries: Is it plausible to expect this library to be an all around, bread and butter, workhorse or am I better off just getting CSB or Infinite Brass instead?
Sound-wise this seems to be miles ahead of both CSB and IB.

I hope @StrezovSampling @Strezov are listening. Pre-order pricing on blind faith without walkthrough videos and third party reviews really only works for libraries that are relatively cheap. When you're in Berlin/JXL/Spitfire Symphonic/Synchron Brass pricing territory, you really need to already have all of that in place during the pre-order period or be prepared to extend your sale pricing after release. This is doubly true in a challenging economic period across the globe.

It's stated very clearly on the product page that this is both a bread-and-butter/workhorse brass library in addition to the more thematic patches. As for CSB and Infinite Brass, they're perfectly suitable as workhorse brass libraries. It's very important to thoroughly listen to walkthroughs of every instrument, especially the low brass, to make sure the tone fits with your sensibilities.

It's stated very clearly on the product page that this is both a bread-and-butter/workhorse brass library in addition to the more thematic patches. As for CSB and Infinite Brass, they're perfectly suitable as workhorse brass libraries. It's very important to thoroughly listen to walkthroughs of every instrument, especially the low brass, to make sure the tone fits with your sensibilities.
You're right. I did see that. I guess what I'm asking is whether or not it's believable. I have no particular reason to not trust Strezov Sampling but on the other hand I've never used any of their libraries and there are other sample makers that definitely have lost my trust.

Top Bottom