What's new

Afflatus Brass? - Strezov "The Adventure Continues"

Exciting. Hopefully the pricing is not EUR799 + tax. Not when the trend right now is developers throwing huge discounts, and the likes of Musio are offering $10/month for the whole buffet + ongoing new content, even the new EastWest fantasy orchestra is now going for USD499. If it is because the entire Afflatus package is large (smorgasbord of different patches and themes), I hope they break the patches down to a few to get to a more affordable pricing for each package. Overall sales dollars might actually increase as more people could buy them rather than relying on the few who could fork out EUR799+ tax (mostly pros and the lucky few hobbyist who are not affected the economic climate and inflation).

Are you sure that's brass? The guy in the image has some wind instruments on his back by the looks of it...

I think Afflatus strings' price is kind of one of the last big swings and big price tags from a different time, and was a bit of an overshoot if you look at how much more popular it's gotten with the more frequent 50% off sales. I'll bet they learned a lot from that and might make the next chapter leaner and price it a little lower. Almost everyone agrees the library is amazing and still top of the line in many respects, but it's like JXL/TH Brass, for a lot of people it's just way out of reach. It's been a while since anyone released a huge library in the $800 range and just said "deal with it", whether it's Sine a la carte or Synchron having standard/full plus smaller modules. Developers aren't doing that sort of thing anymore.

SF AR1 modular wants to raise an objection.
It's going to be the most expensive option for sure, but you saw where they started pricing with the low percussion, which mind you they didn't think to break into Core and Pro. Anyway, with the Core options (hopefully coming to the other, already-released percussion modules) and you know, the modularity, it's still an example of developers breaking things down into chunks much cheaper than $800. And again, Abbey Road being on the highest of the high end (whether we agree it deserves that price point on its quality is a different story). $800 for a weirdly named string library, with an unusual concept, from a lesser known developer... not sure I see that happening too much more.

I got a mail from them saying they’re launching something on October 25th. This is what it is? Sure am excited but hope it’s not priced as high as the Afflatus Strings.

I think Afflatus strings' price is kind of one of the last big swings and big price tags from a different time, and was a bit of an overshoot if you look at how much more popular it's gotten with the more frequent 50% off sales. I'll bet they learned a lot from that and might make the next chapter leaner and price it a little lower. Almost everyone agrees the library is amazing and still top of the line in many respects, but it's like JXL/TH Brass, for a lot of people it's just way out of reach. It's been a while since anyone released a huge library in the $800 range and just said "deal with it", whether it's Sine a la carte or Synchron having standard/full plus smaller modules. Developers aren't doing that sort of thing anymore.
I get what you're saying and I think there's some truth to that, but we have to keep in mind that an 800$ library at 50% off is not the same thing as a 400$ library. A 400$ product is just something that you're waiting for to be 200$ on sale the next year. I think it's just as likely that devs will start to plan for the "real sales numbers" only to start with the first 30% off or 40% off sale on a product, and only the smallest parts of their total sales get made on release.

I get what you're saying and I think there's some truth to that, but we have to keep in mind that an 800$ library at 50% off is not the same thing as a 400$ library. A 400$ product is just something that you're waiting for to be 200$ on sale the next year. I think it's just as likely that devs will start to plan for the "real sales numbers" only to start with the first 30% off or 40% off sale on a product, and only the smallest parts of their total sales get made on release.
Agree with you as well. I would also point out that Strezov's approach to sales is generally more conservative than what they ended up doing with Afflatus. So if they start lower than 800 (which I hope for), I think people can expect a rare 30% off after it's been out a while, assuming they got the pricing right. And that Strezov generally have the credibility that they won't slash the price anytime soon, like they did for strings given their discipline on sales. Although I expect a light intro sale.

Also just hoping it's a lot cheaper because of section sizes!

gonna make some guesses here
afflatus strings is 799 regular price, brass libraries tend to be cheaper than their string counterparts so i am going to go with 649-699 regular price for brass

the last library i pre ordered from strezov was storm choir ultimate for 349 (30% off) regular price 499, if you didn't pre order it, it was i believe 399 so 20% introductory price

i can see a 549-599 introductory price for brass, and possibly a 499-549 pre order price

just my best guesses

there isn't a developer i trust more for pre order sales than strezov
have never been even remotely close to disappointed, quite the opposite really, blown away is the better term to use

yes to all of the above - strezov == solid dev no doubt, no doubt, but there are already some v solid brass libs out there - cinesamples, JXL, berlin brass, cinematic samples, modern scoring brass.. im sure im missing a bunch - but my point is the price point should idealy be around $299 base, $199 on offer.
No, I don’t think so if the library is going to be at all like Afflatus Strings in terms of what it offers. Given where Strezov usually prices their products among current offerings, I doubt it will be less than $500. $300 would be a cut down or very specialized library.

Top Bottom