What's new

Zebra XY pads

It's incredible that a simple touch xy hardware controller still do not exist... It at least I'm not aware of!
There was one on my ancient Novation Remote 25. Wonder if they still add that sort of thing to some of their controller keyboards?

I use 2 expression pedals for the XY. It's kind of clunky because I have to recalibrate it every time I use it (maybe due to the fact that I put an expression pedal in a sustain slot in my S49). But once done, it works, and I have my two hands to play.

I use 2 expression pedals for the XY. It's kind of clunky because I have to recalibrate it every time I use it (maybe due to the fact that I put an expression pedal in a sustain slot in my S49). But once done, it works, and I have my two hands to play.
At some point I'm probably going to get at least one expression pedal that can connect directly to the computer rather than going through the keyboard. Either USB or Bluetooth, both of which are supported on the Korg EV-1-WL. I may step up to two if I find it works for me.

Touchscreen for x-y pads. I like MetaGrid Pro on an iPad, but TouchOSC works as well and on more devices.
This has really worked a treat, my midi controller doesn’t have after touch and I was able to add an additional fader in there to make use of it. Thank you so much!

I have a Korg nanoKEY Studio that has a single XY pad, but I have made it do different things in each of 8 scenes so I can control 4 XY pads of Zebra one at a time. Sucks a bit that it's one at a time but oftentimes it's enough.

It would be terrific if something like Joué offered a custom overlay that was just 4 XY pads and that's it. Something that Sensel Morph allowed you to do (but is now sadly discontinued).

Other than those (sold out) 4 joysticks, the next best thing is probably some touch based OSC solution like TouchOSC, OSCPilot, etc.

I had a nano Korg controller with one of those XY pads but the problem is you can't zero in and don't know where the last position was. And yeah... you only have one of those :)

One issue with gaming joysticks is that they spring back to the centre when released which is not really the behaviour we might want in Zebra.

I have an old Wacom pen tablet, I wonder if this would work? I might see if Reaper accepts it as an MIDI controller or if I need another app to do the translation (WMIDI, Tablet2MIDI or a Python app, etc.).

I finally had a chance to implement AudioSwift with a new Apple trackpad. I'm a bit slow and easily befuddled when it comes to midi configurations, so I saved doing this until I had a bit more time and not working directly on a project.

AudioSwift works very well. And as it can now operate independently from another mouse, I can just leave it open and running, using my regular mouse as a mouse and the Apple trackpad as a midi controller.

Obviously, this is only any use to someone working on a Mac.

Top Bottom