What's new

Zebra XY pads

A Roli Lightpad might be a good choice. I believe that Expressive E's Touche can provide xy control - and with a more physical experience.

But if you can set up something on a phone or tablet that you already have, you may find that is good enough. And you might also be able to set up multiple xy pads on the same screen - I keep meaning to look into that.

A Roli Lightpad might be a good choice. I believe that Expressive E's Touche can provide xy control - and with a more physical experience.

But if you can set up something on a phone or tablet that you already have, you may find that is good enough. And you might also be able to set up multiple xy pads on the same screen - I keep meaning to look into that.
I don’t know if TouchOSC can do that - it probably can if your screen is big enough. MetaGrid Pro can for sure - I have a Zebra layout with a pair of X-Y controllers on one screen, plus buttons so I can quickly switch which of Zebra’s 4 x-y pads I’m controlling

Sometimes, I've been using an Expressive Touche' with the front and back shiftings for X and Y respectively.

At other times I use this Audioswift application on my MacBook Pro's trackpad. I can recommend the Audioswift application with one caveat. It conflicts with my beautiful HD monitor, so for those sessions when I am tracking things with Audioswift, I unplug my monitor.

I don’t know if TouchOSC can do that - it probably can if your screen is big enough. MetaGrid Pro can for sure - I have a Zebra layout with a pair of X-Y controllers on one screen, plus buttons so I can quickly switch which of Zebra’s 4 x-y pads I’m controlling
Thanks; that's very helpful!

Hi. I'm the developer of AudioSwift.

If you are on macOS and have a Magic Trackpad or a MacBook, AudioSwift transforms the trackpad into four XY pads, sliders, MPE and more. It's a compact and wireless option. Here is a demo controlling all 4 XY pads in Hive.

The XY pads and sliders have this cool feature where you can set a default value, and the controllers will return automatically to that value when you lift the fingers.

will a touchpad/trackpad for windows work as a midi device? that would be an easy and cheap solution...

Sometimes, I've been using an Expressive Touche' with the front and back shiftings for X and Y respectively.

At other times I use this Audioswift application on my MacBook Pro's trackpad. I can recommend the Audioswift application with one caveat. It conflicts with my beautiful HD monitor, so for those sessions when I am tracking things with Audioswift, I unplug my monitor.

Hi @Tusker . ✌️

I'm sorry we couldn't find a solution to your issue since our last chat. It's been impossible for me to recreate you problem on my setup and see how to fix it.

For someone else interested in trying out AudioSwift, it indeed works with external monitors connected. I personally use a 32" LG monitor with USB-C connected directly to a MacBook, and I also have an old LG monitor via HDMI and a USB-C hub.

However for some strange reason, @Tusker has a particular monitor/Macbook combination that won't allow to activate AudioSwift to send MIDI. This is a rare situation that has happened to him and maybe 2 more users using a USB-C direct connection or a USB-C hub. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution to this bug.

Last edited:
will a touchpad/trackpad for windows work as a midi device? that would be an easy and cheap solution...
Unfortunately, no. It only works with Magic Trackpads 1, 2, or 3 or MacBooks, on macOS. A second hand Magic Trackpad 1 could be the cheaper option. The only feature missing will be the Force Touch mechanism found in Magic Trackpads 2 and 3, which in AudioSwift sends Channel Pressure messages.

Hi @Tusker . Nigel here ✌️

I'm sorry we couldn't find a solution to your issue since our last chat. It's been impossible for me to recreate you problem on my setup and see how to fix it.

For someone else interested in trying out AudioSwift, it indeed works with external monitors connected.

However for some strange reason, @Tusker has a particular monitor/Macbook combination that won't allow to activate AudioSwift to send MIDI. This is a rare situation that has happened to him and maybe 2 more users using a USB-C direct connection or a USB-C hub. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution to this bug.
Sorry, this might be answered on your site or in the videos; but would I be able to continue using my mouse as a mouse and a trackpad as a midi controller at the same time on my Mac Studio?

I think it would be a nicer experience than using an iPad.

Sorry, this might be answered on your site or in the videos; but would I be able to continue using my mouse as a mouse and a trackpad as a midi controller at the same time on my Mac Studio?

I think it would be a nicer experience than using an iPad.
Yes, you can!

Before it couldn't, but with the latest beta version (current 2.3.7 Beta), now you can. You'll need to go to Preferences > General and enable "Unlock cursor from other input devices" (new key shortcut for this is CTRL + OPT + CMD + F)

Image 04-04-24 at 11.38 AM.JPG

You have the option to disable AudioSwift key shortcuts and continue using your DAWs shortcuts when AudioSwift is active (new key shortcut for this is CTRL + OPT + CMD + D).

You can also set the trackpad to automatically activate AudioSwift when touching it by enabling "Automatically by touching the trackpad" in Choose how to turn AudioSwift on.

Yes, you can!

Before it couldn't, but with the latest beta version (current 2.3.7 Beta), now you can. You'll need to go to Preferences > General and enable "Unlock cursor from other input devices" (new key shortcut for this is CTRL + OPT + CMD + F)

Image 04-04-24 at 11.38 AM.JPG

You have the option to disable AudioSwift key shortcuts and continue using your DAWs shortcuts when AudioSwift is active (new key shortcut for this is CTRL + OPT + CMD + D).

You can also set the trackpad to automatically activate AudioSwift when touching it by enabling "Automatically by touching the trackpad" in Choose how to turn AudioSwift on.
That sounds absolutely fantastic! I'm definitely going to do this. I don't know where my old trackpad is but if I can't find it I'll get a new (possibly second hand...) one. The functionality offered in this beta is better than I'd hoped!

That sounds absolutely fantastic! I'm definitely going to do this. I don't know where my old trackpad is but if I can't find it I'll get a new (possibly second hand...) one. The functionality offered in this beta is better than I'd hoped!
Great! The beta version has tons of new features with more to come. It's a work in progress for what eventually will be AudioSwift version 3 (a free update for current users when it's finally released).

A couple of the new features already available:
- It now doesn't require to be the key app on screen, so floating windows won't disappear when AudioSwift is called in some DAWs (Ableton Live, Cubase, Digital Performer, Bitwig Studio and Studio One).
- Option to unlock cursor and disable AudioSwift key shortcuts.
- More options of sliders and XY pads.
- Option to send Channel Pressure messages and also 14-bit CC resolution with sliders and XY pads.
- Improved GUI design.
- Surround Controller option for Pro Tools and Logic Pro.
- New integration with Ableton Live via custom scripts.
- And more...

I personally use a Seaboard Rise when I want to play more with Zebra performance pads.

If you want to use both hands on your keyboard with an external midi controller for the X/Y, you could also take a look at the Genki Wave. I don't own the product so I don't know how good is it but looks genuinely cool though.

Been thinking about this one for a while, could be fun with the module they're offering, I'm using a FH-2 with my modular setup to control my midi controllers presently but I like how simple the Wavefront is.

Last edited:

Lorne Balfe was recently showing off one of these, specifically to use with Zebra.
1712698563270.png
thanks for the nanopad option! i recall having see it but now i have also a NI maschine with its own good pads and a nektar panorama P6 which also has pads... so i did not consider the nanopad when i was looking fox XY touch controllers! :-/ a standalone option would have been better!

Top Bottom