What's new

Your NI Komplete (Ultimate) gems

Actually I think a lot of the effects in Komplete get glossed over because everyone's into the VSTi that come with it, but a lot of the effects, including both the RC48 and RC24, are very good. The compressors and EQs as well.

Yeah. RC48 isn't for me but I regularly use and enjoy:
  • VC76 compressor (Softube 76 compressor)
  • Replika
  • Passive EQ (Softube Manley Massive Passive mix version)
  • Supercharger

May I ask what you don't like about this reverb?
On the one hand, I've never read a negativ review about it, on the other hand very few people in this forum seem to use it.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about the sonic qualities of different reverb plugins, but as far as I can tell the RC48 has a specific sound that works, but really doesn't seem all that special.

I use it because it's what I got, but that doesn't stop me from drooling over the character something like Valhalla seems to provide.

It's like the rest of Komplete, in my opinion. I got *all of it* on sale, which makes it incredible value for money, extremely expansive and *everything* is at least moderately good and useful. On the flip side, *most* of it is only that. Moderately good and useful

Taking liberties with the topic here, but I recently discovered this and had to share it somewhere:

Anyone experiencing load clipping with heavy Reaktor libs (looking at you Polyplex) in, for example, Cubase should check whether their windows power profile is set to full. Everything works so much better since taking it off "balanced".

On the one hand, I've never read a negativ review about it, on the other hand very few people in this forum seem to use it.

Man, I’m a certified reverb junkie - I have ‘em all - and RC48 is easily one of my favorites. It can do the Lexicon type “bloom” really well, yet it’s very unique. I use it constantly among a few others.

As for other gems – I took some time recently to really dig through the new stuff in Reaktor - holy smokes. There is more inspiring stuff in there than you can shake a stick at!

I`ve always been a fan of Reaktors self-playing instruments since Newschool.
I am not really into techno and this might not be the right forum but the Reaktor kick and bass instrument TRK-01 is incredible.
I just could not stop going through all the presets, you let each run for a while, it is hynotising.
Unexpected fun.

Last edited:

Part of my problem, and this extends to RC24 too, is I find the controls quite confusing. I think if you grew up with an actual Lexicon hardware unit that it is emulating it would be less so.

Even then, regardless of the parametres or presets I pick, I always find RC48 adds a dark/mid-rangy sound to me that clouds my mixes and I always end up switching to Valhalla Room, probably because I might just not know how to use it effectively. I believe the RC48 is a great emulation when in the context of buying Komplete.

Other great options in the package include the Kontakt reverb impulse responses (that you can use if the library isn't locked) and Reflektor impulse responses that come in Guitar Rig (which might even be the same ones as in Kontakt...).

Part of my problem, and this extends to RC24 too, is I find the controls quite confusing. I think if you grew up with an actual Lexicon hardware unit that it is emulating it would be less so.

Even then, regardless of the parametres or presets I pick, I always find RC48 adds a dark/mid-rangy sound to me that clouds my mixes and I always end up switching to Valhalla Room, probably because I might just not know how to use it effectively. I believe the RC48 is a great emulation when in the context of buying Komplete.

Other great options in the package include the Kontakt reverb impulse responses (that you can use if the library isn't locked) and Reflektor impulse responses that come in Guitar Rig (which might even be the same ones as in Kontakt...).
Thanks. I don't have much experience with different reverb plugins and always found it pretty hard to judge, sound-wise. But I'm really interested in Valhalla to see if it makes a difference, might be my next VST purchase.

Which ones do you mean? I've been looking for more of that tonal metal stuff.
I may have been thinking more of the impact/junkyard style metal sounds when I replied. I need to re-evaluate if those libraries I was thinking of also have the tonal stuff you are referring to in Kinetic Metal

These are the ones I have but I can't remember how many of them go beyond the drum kit impact style use. I will re-evaluate these and report back which ones have tonal sounding metal patches.

With Ultimate I have:
Kinetic Metal
Damage
Evolve series.
I think the Kontakt Facotry library has some of that stuff and don't forget Absynth and Massive can have similar sounds, especially Absynth.

For the stuff outside of Ultimate I have: (Many of these are free)
Samplelogic- Havoc
Embertone- the Kitchen- not sure if Tonal is in there.
Spitfire Labs Bike Bells? Maybe
Frozen Plane - Chordaphones- not quite metal but has sounds that remind of what you get in products like Kinetic metal.
Paper Stone Instruments- Creative Junk - I really like this because it is opposite of Damage and Havoc. Rather than loud hard hitting bombastic sounds it is more natural and subtle. There are some tonal sounds in here.
PulseSetter sounds Metalstorm
Sonixinema- Resonate- This one is tonal for sure.
Supreme Samples- Sinister Bowed Cymbals
Amplesound- Ample Percussion CloudDrum - Not a kontakt instrument

And many other Synths outside of the Komplete bundle that can create these type of unique sounds.

I would recommend looking at some AAS packs. There are a few cool packs with unique sounds like this, especially from the ones designed for the Chordaphone synth. The packs work in the free AAS player. As limiting as the player is, the sound packs are so good that it's made me consider buying their synths in due time.

And then there's the UVI factory library that I haven't fully explored and the Best Service Engine library as well as the free Halion synth with factory sounds that might have some uniqe metal tone flavors.

Last edited:
I have KU11 and in descending order, here we go:

- Vintage organs
- The Mouth (love to use it for vocoder choirs)
- Alicias Keys (but used it too much)
- Session Horns pro
- I've used Studio Drummer and Modern Drummer a lot, but my heart belongs to Vintage Drummer
- The SSL effects and VC-2A (mixed a whole pop album with these)
- Scarbee basses (all the bass I ever needed)
- Action Strikes
- Cuba series upright bass (not that deeply sampled, but lovely direct sound)

I want to love Una Corda, but I always end yp with Olafur felt piano or Woodchester piano instead.

...should probably use RC48 more, I find it useful when wanting a slightly more shallow reverb, I find that it doesn't fatten the mixes as much as Valhalla Room which can be really useful.

Electric sunburst because I can’t play guitar. It’s replacing Steinberg virtual guitarist for me

I second @whinecellar on RC48. Once you understand the controls and tailor your own sound rather than using presets, it really starts to light up.

The instruments all carry weight (except for that George Duke thing), but the effects and synths are what I consider to be often overlooked. Supercharger GT is a hidden gem for sure. Not for every use, but is certainly pretty awesome in certain context. Molekular is another. As mentioned by someone else, VC-2A and VC-76 are really nice too. Did you know you can use Razor as a vocodor on vocals? Really rad actually. The delays in Guitar Rig are stellar for use on things other than guitar as well.

Edit: I can’t believe I forgot Passive EQ... the Manley emulation! Great for mastering.

Last edited:
Top Bottom