What's new

Your Black Friday (November) Purchases 2022

Winding down my spending to draw Black Friday to a close. Just bought chrysalis with the $10 gift card so it was only $19. After watching the walkthrough it seemed like it had a lot of nice sound design patches to go with the harp samples.

Now debating on:
embertone walker lite for $10
cube mini for $10
cinematic rooms standard - I've spent too much now to spring for the pro version but standard might be a good way to get my foot in the door on this reverb.

Convinced myself to not buy:
Cinebrass pro - I already have trailer brass and MA1 for big horns and big low brass. The rest of the solo stuff is covered by century brass which has very good solo brass. At this point, I would only be buying it for the LA scoring stage sound. Also - infinite brass is about to become over 90% of my composition workhorse :).
Dan Keen's Soft String Textures - Looked myself in the mirror and asked if I truly had leveraged my other underscore evo-like texture libraries yet (looking at you OACE). The answer is no so until I do that, I won't be springing for another one of these libraries :).
Cinematic Studio Woodwinds - Not yet. I have nucleus woodwinds and intimate studio woodwinds so I can cover basic ensemble and legato for fully sample only performances that are good. Also just like infinite brass, infinite woodwinds is going to be my main workhorse for woodwinds.

Final thought after playing around with my new infinite brass/woodwinds purchase:
For those of you struggling with setting up infinite brass/woodwinds for ensemble performance, divisimate is a HUGE help. It has a fill voice option such that a section can be mapped as an ensemble with each player split to up to N voices for N players. If you play 1 note, it will have every player in the mapped ensemble play that note. If you play 2 notes, it will split the players and have half play the lower note and half play the upper. this splitting keeps happening in a semi-intelligent way as you add stacked notes until you're playing N notes at which point, every player in your ensemble has their own note to play. This solves the worry of note stacking ending up in multiple layerings of a brass section in conventional sample libraries. For example, a 4 horns patch ending up sounding like 12 horns when you play a 3 note sustain.

TLDR: Divisimate and infinite series were made for each other.
Divisimate sits between the MIDI source and the DAW, right?

. . .Now I am doing my utmost to talk myself out of Elysiion 2 -- I have until Wednesday, but I am sinking s-l-o-w-l-y
Have TOE & TOC2, so I would be (will be) somewhat familiar with the interface

. . . whom am I kidding? It is a fait accompli

I am toast
Yes, color me thoroughly toasted
Free will? I'll leave that to others. . .

Is it over yet? I went overboard compared to my plans this year.

I anticipated a pretty relaxed BF weekend with not so many purchases. I probably shouldn't have stopped by Ebay last night, but picked up a Focusrite Clarett OctoPre to get an additional 8 inputs in my home studio (the joys of running one toslink cable around the room, versus multiple instrument TRS cables).

All in, I picked up all the goods at Liquidsonics and Slate+Ash, the ARK Bundle, topped up on the Black Weekend Pro Bundle with Spitfire, and a few odds 'n ends from AudioThing. I managed to resist needing a new SSD, but just barely.
Did slate and ash actually have sales? I didn't see any 👀

Just went for the Modartt Pianoteq upgrade to Pro.

It came with 2 bonuses I wasn’t expecting. 1st my NFR Standard version (Bought 2nd hand, so became NFR) is no longer NFR so can be sold. 2nd it has asked me to add 2 instruments. This means I got the upgrade to 8 (would cost $30), got 2 instruments ($60 using code group at JRRShop), I paid $80. So I got my upgrade to pro for less than it would have cost just to get the update and 2 instruments.
Which 2 did you pick?

Did slate and ash actually have sales? I didn't see any 👀
As @Alchemedia said, they S+A don't really do sales, but the Choreographs was part of their "all products" bundle, which is discounted from the cost of picking up all the instruments separately. I figured that since I wanted 2 instruments, it'd be better to get 4 of them for a bit more. So far, I'm quite liking everything.

1. Wavesfactory Spectre ($49)
2. Zebra Legacy (free)
3. Sound Dust Plankton Sequencer (secret crossgrade price for Plankton library early adopters)
4. Soundpaint Tenor saxophone ($15)
5. Soundpaint Alto Flute ($10)
6. Soundpaint Soprano saxophone ($15)
7. 8Dio glitchfest > Jenifer + Roula ($13.50)
8. Wellencraft TAMBORA, a fantastic new library by our own @JEPA ($29.99)
9. Synapse Audio DR1 - Deep Reverb rack extension for Reason (€17)
10. Musical Sampling Gabrielle Flute ($49)
11. Cherry Audio GX80 + Miniverse + Lowdown ($59) by upgrading to Synth Stack 3
12. Crocus Soundware LIMINAL Vocal Textures Volume 1 ($35 with loyalty voucher)
13. Straight Ahead Samples Flugelhorn and Flutes (preorder) ($210)
14. Dan Keen’s Soft Strings Textures (€79)
15. Samples from Mars - yearly update of their ‘every sample from Mars’ bundle ($29)

Added:

16. Spitfire Audio The Ton (€90), Studio Woodwinds (core) (€119), Feathered Flute and Hearth & Hollow (more money)

That concludes the 2022 BF broadcast.

1. Wavesfactory Spectre ($49)
2. Zebra Legacy (free)
3. Sound Dust Plankton Sequencer (secret crossgrade price for Plankton library early adopters)
4. Soundpaint Tenor saxophone ($15)
5. Soundpaint Alto Flute ($10)
6. Soundpaint Soprano saxophone ($15)
7. 8Dio glitchfest > Jenifer + Roula ($13.50)
8. Wellencraft TAMBORA, a fantastic new library by our own @JEPA ($29.99)
9. Synapse Audio DR1 - Deep Reverb rack extension for Reason (€17)
10. Musical Sampling Gabrielle Flute ($49)
11. Cherry Audio GX80 + Miniverse + Lowdown ($59) by upgrading to Synth Stack 3
12. Crocus Soundware LIMINAL Vocal Textures Volume 1 ($35 with loyalty voucher)
13. Straight Ahead Samples Flugelhorn and Flutes (preorder) ($210)
14. Dan Keen’s Soft Strings Textures (€79)
15. Samples from Mars - yearly update of their ‘every sample from Mars’ bundle ($29)

Added:

16. Spitfire Audio The Ton (€90), Studio Woodwinds (core) (€119), Feathered Flute and Hearth & Hollow (more money)

That concludes the 2022 BF broadcast.
That's going to take quite some time to explore!

I bought the Breville Bambino Plus. Espresso machine went down months ago. Was able to survive on cold brew but with the temperature dropping I'm very much looking forward to a nice, warm, auto-frothed flat white!
I’m pretty sure a frothed flat white is a cappuccino. :)

Orchestration Recipes - Vol. 1, 2 and 3
I'm seeing if I could squeeze one of those in. Which one would you say is the best bang for your buck in terms of usefulness across the board? Eventually I want all 3 but I can only get 1 for now. Which one would you pick?

I'm seeing if I could squeeze one of those in. Which one would you say is the best bang for your buck in terms of usefulness across the board? Eventually I want all 3 but I can only get 1 for now. Which one would you pick?
I'd just start with the first one. That's what I did.

Ok I finally completed mine:

Pianoteq 8 Complete ($600)
Metropolis Ark Bundle, added 4 & 5 to make it complete ($325)
Absolute VST 5 upgrade ($50)
8Dio Intimate Strings, Brass, Winds ($80)
Ana 2 Multisample Expansion ($20)
Nexus 4.5 & Vanguard 2 upgrades ($128)
Crucial 4TB SSD ($300)
Cherry Audio Synth Stack 3 and Stardust Echo ($90)
Korg Opsix and Wavestate ($199)
Korg Collection 4 upgrade ($99)
Roland Play4Life ($199)
Ethera Gold Atlantis 2 upgrade ($30)
Amplesound AME AGT AGPF AGLP ($273)

Top Bottom