What's new

Your Black Friday (November) Purchases 2022

I had some free updates and some cheap cross-/upgrades. And I bought some stuff as well. But more importantly, I decided not to buy other stuff. I believe that's a pretty complete and detailed overview of my november purchases.

Among the stuff I bought was the SA Joey Santiago library. Because you cannot have enough guitar libraries. Because "real" guitarist are ridiculously unreliable. Especially those of the English kind. Anyway, thanks to @Bee_Abney for the unintentional heads-up.

I've heard it's impossible to use 4 DDR5 memory slots at super high speed (>4800 MTps) with Intel processors. The computer won't boot or could become unstable.
You might want to tell the person you heard that from to get... up to speed. :roflmao:

Those were initial pre-release issues, like any pre-release, that got solved. It's the 12th gen that has a rotten time with DDR5 which is why I waited for 13th Gen to release.

This fella OC'd to 6600 last month on the exact build I'll be doing, including the 3-hour mem stress test with zero failures:

I had some free updates and some cheap cross-/upgrades. And I bought some stuff as well. But more importantly, I decided not to buy other stuff. I believe that's a pretty complete and detailed overview of my november purchases.

Among the stuff I bought was the SA Joey Santiago library. Because you cannot have enough guitar libraries. Because "real" guitarist are ridiculously unreliable. Especially those of the English kind. Anyway, thanks to @Bee_Abney for the unintentional heads-up.
As an English guitarist, I am outraged at being accurately described!

3 SDX of my choice: 299 [ need to buy HD space]
EW Opus :250 [already had HO but didnt see the upgrade discount on the EW site which was 199] so now have 2..
Waves Manny Eq [quad 8] 5
Softube 84 [juno 106] 38

Samsung NV type 1T drive 80
enclose for drive 15

I have an MBP M1 16ram the internal dr is superfast but all my other drives top out at 500/s
hope this NVMe thing is better... the speeds they [most SSD] post are kinda BS for me at lease.. OWC usbC caddy

oh yeah bottomless group for Rocket Appartmento. if that means anything here. [ it might ] lol
NVME, unless in a thunderbolt enclosure, will be capped on your MBP. USB3 enclosures use dual bands to get the super high speeds, which thunderbolt ports do not support. Thunderbolt enclosures are faster, but they cost 3-4x as much as USB3. Either way, you should get faster speeds than 500/s. if you go the thunderbolt enclosure route, make sure its an actual thunderbolt enclosure and not a "thunderbolt compatible" enclosure.

8Dio's Intimate Studio Woodwinds for 13.87€
I feel like I've seen lots of posts with this 8Dio deal on the Intimate series. I've checked my emails and spam and asked their support ... how does one get these prices? Is it still possible? It'sa some crossgrade from ... Soundpaint? I'm so confused.

NVME, unless in a thunderbolt enclosure, will be capped on your MBP. USB3 enclosures use dual bands to get the super high speeds, which thunderbolt ports do not support. Thunderbolt enclosures are faster, but they cost 3-4x as much as USB3. Either way, you should get faster speeds than 500/s. if you go the thunderbolt enclosure route, make sure its an actual thunderbolt enclosure and not a "thunderbolt compatible" enclosure.
I have a few of these...they are awesome. Pricey, but well built from an industry leader.

1669753626643.png

In total < $350 USD.
* Midronome (successful Kickstarter pre-order)
* Oddity 3
* GEM Modula
* Trackspacer
* Lustrous Plates
* Seventh Heaven Pro upgrade
* Illusion
* Ethera Atlantis 2 upgrade

There's literally nothing else I really want at this point.

I sold my long-unused copy of u-he Diva for $100 to pay for a few of the items (so the total without doing that was < $450).

Last edited:
I'm not sure. The sequencing/arp side of things is amazing. But the sounds - I'd probably go with Dark Horizon. I don't have it but I think that it has the same engine, different but darker sounds and costs less.

When I got Elysion (before the upgrade to version II), it was very helpful. Now, I've gained a bit more knowledge and I have UVI's Falcon, which has a lot of sequencing options and can also record midi to drag and drop just as Elysion can. So, yes to buying Elysion or Dark Horizon if I didn't have Falcon; but Falcon is probably better overall if you can get comfortable with it.

And, of course, while Falcon does a lot more, it is also more expensive even before you start buying extra soundware for the samples and sound design. So, there is a lot to commend Elysion and Dark Horizon as aids to composing sequences.
Since I got Falcon, Elysion 2 and Dark Horizon are not really interesting for me anymore.

However, they are exciting in connection with Orchestra.

I feel like I've seen lots of posts with this 8Dio deal on the Intimate series. I've checked my emails and spam and asked their support ... how does one get these prices? Is it still possible? It'sa some crossgrade from ... Soundpaint? I'm so confused.
Yeah, as @peterharket already answered, it was a glitch. Initially, the strings and brass of that series also were reduced that much and the Century Ostinato Strings cost $7.5. :shocked:

I had set aside about $128 to buy the Asterian preorder + Solaria bundle thinking since Asterian is based on classically trained oktavist Eric Holloway it would feature his oktavist range... but it doesn't. Just down to E2, which I can easily sing myself (I'm a vocalist). And the preorder discount for the bundle is only $7.50 (relative to the ordinary price of the bundle). So I'm having second thoughts... Symphony of the Animals is tempting, with a larger discount ($20) and about the same sale price.

Is it over yet? I went overboard compared to my plans this year.

I anticipated a pretty relaxed BF weekend with not so many purchases. I probably shouldn't have stopped by Ebay last night, but picked up a Focusrite Clarett OctoPre to get an additional 8 inputs in my home studio (the joys of running one toslink cable around the room, versus multiple instrument TRS cables).

All in, I picked up all the goods at Liquidsonics and Slate+Ash, the ARK Bundle, topped up on the Black Weekend Pro Bundle with Spitfire, and a few odds 'n ends from AudioThing. I managed to resist needing a new SSD, but just barely.

You might want to tell the person you heard that from to get... up to speed. :roflmao:

Those were initial pre-release issues, like any pre-release, that got solved. It's the 12th gen that has a rotten time with DDR5 which is why I waited for 13th Gen to release.

This fella OC'd to 6600 last month on the exact build I'll be doing, including the 3-hour mem stress test with zero failures:

That's 4*16 though, not 4*32.
Anyways, great if that's not an issue in 13th gen.

Winding down my spending to draw Black Friday to a close. Just bought chrysalis with the $10 gift card so it was only $19. After watching the walkthrough it seemed like it had a lot of nice sound design patches to go with the harp samples.

Now debating on:
embertone walker lite for $10
cube mini for $10
cinematic rooms standard - I've spent too much now to spring for the pro version but standard might be a good way to get my foot in the door on this reverb.

Convinced myself to not buy:
Cinebrass pro - I already have trailer brass and MA1 for big horns and big low brass. The rest of the solo stuff is covered by century brass which has very good solo brass. At this point, I would only be buying it for the LA scoring stage sound. Also - infinite brass is about to become over 90% of my composition workhorse :).
Dan Keen's Soft String Textures - Looked myself in the mirror and asked if I truly had leveraged my other underscore evo-like texture libraries yet (looking at you OACE). The answer is no so until I do that, I won't be springing for another one of these libraries :).
Cinematic Studio Woodwinds - Not yet. I have nucleus woodwinds and intimate studio woodwinds so I can cover basic ensemble and legato for fully sample only performances that are good. Also just like infinite brass, infinite woodwinds is going to be my main workhorse for woodwinds.

Final thought after playing around with my new infinite brass/woodwinds purchase:
For those of you struggling with setting up infinite brass/woodwinds for ensemble performance, divisimate is a HUGE help. It has a fill voice option such that a section can be mapped as an ensemble with each player split to up to N voices for N players. If you play 1 note, it will have every player in the mapped ensemble play that note. If you play 2 notes, it will split the players and have half play the lower note and half play the upper. this splitting keeps happening in a semi-intelligent way as you add stacked notes until you're playing N notes at which point, every player in your ensemble has their own note to play. This solves the worry of note stacking ending up in multiple layerings of a brass section in conventional sample libraries. For example, a 4 horns patch ending up sounding like 12 horns when you play a 3 note sustain.

TLDR: Divisimate and infinite series were made for each other.

Top Bottom