What's new

Will a new interface help my latency issues?

mrd777

Hi guys,

My setup is 1 slave machine, and 1 daw machine running together. The only way I can get playback without clicks/pops is to set my buffer to 1024, but then my latency shoots up and playing kind of sucks!

I have a Focusrite USB interface currently, and I'm wondering if I get a Thunderbolt UAD interface, will my latency woes, and perhaps my buffer, be able to go down?

Thanks for any advice!
Dave

Before buying anything, check your network and ensure its operating as fast as possible.

What samples are you using?

So i have the computers connected directly via Ethernet cable, and both on static IPs

I have 10 string tracks, 5 brass tracks, 6 choir tracks, piano, glock, harp, 20 percussion tracks, 8 woodwindsd, 3 reverbs, 3 other kind of plugs, and maybe some other stuff I forget.

This is an estimate of what I have going on...

What do you suggest as far as checking my network to be operating as fast as possible?

@chimuelo is probably a better person to ask about network optimization.

Sorry specifically, what brands, of samples do you own?
What reverbs do you use? Try disabling all your audio processing plugins and see if that improves performance.

@chimuelo is probably a better person to ask about network optimization.

Sorry specifically, what brands, of samples do you own?
What reverbs do you use? Try disabling all your audio processing plugins and see if that improves performance.

Native Instruments Symphony Strings, Cinematic Strings, Native Ins Symphony Brass, valhalla reverb.

I just made my template with ONE intrument using VEP, and I can't run on low buffer settings. it sounds like 8bit distorted audio when on low buffer settings.

I basically had to use 1024 buffer size on just one instrument, so I'm not sure honestly what the reason can be...

Native Instruments Symphony Strings, Cinematic Strings, Native Ins Symphony Brass, valhalla reverb.

I just made my template with ONE intrument using VEP, and I can't run on low buffer settings. it sounds like 8bit distorted audio when on low buffer settings.

I basically had to use 1024 buffer size on just one instrument, so I'm not sure honestly what the reason can be...
Hmm there's too many variables for me to help much further - im not overly aware of the instruments you use nor their resource hunger.
You've got a bottleneck somewhere (could be slow HDD, could be 1 instance of VEP, could be network etc).

1024 seems a bit high though so my inclination is that it's not your interface...I could be wrong though.

Id suggest experimenting a bit...use multiple VEP instances, turn off all audio processes (verb etc).

Hmm there's too many variables for me to help much further - im not overly aware of the instruments you use nor their resource hunger.
You've got a bottleneck somewhere (could be slow HDD, could be 1 instance of VEP, could be network etc).

1024 seems a bit high though so my inclination is that it's not your interface...I could be wrong though.

Id suggest experimenting a bit...use multiple VEP instances, turn off all audio processes (verb etc).

Hmm. yeah, I'm not sure. I had iZotope7 running on master bus, as well as a Maximizer, and turned off izotope and now getting to 128 buffer size without audio issues.

To get down to a clean 64 buffer, I need to remove the Mazimizer as well (built in cubase one), but then everything is super quiet, so I guess working at 128 and adding the mastering plugin at the end is my only option.

Hmm. yeah, I'm not sure. I had iZotope7 running on master bus, as well as a Maximizer, and turned off izotope and now getting to 128 buffer size without audio issues.

To get down to a clean 64 buffer, I need to remove the Mazimizer as well (built in cubase one), but then everything is super quiet, so I guess working at 128 and adding the mastering plugin at the end is my only option.
128-256 is playable for me..I wouldn't stress too much unless you're maestro-ing work into your DAW

Hmm. I spoke too soon. After more testing on other tracks, the audio issues are back at that low buffer, even without the izotope.

FYI the Ozone Maximizer adds a TON of latency depending on the IRC mode. (Even LL adds a few hundred samples of latency.) And getting 64 samples of latency with anything Izotope is no easy task.

Personally I would start by removing all 3rd party plugins and see what happens. Then start turning of libraries one at a time and see what happens. Depending on the libraries you just might not be able to get away with a buffer that low. I don't go below 128, I'd only get a few tracks down before I'd have to raise my buffer. And depending on the template I may have to settle for 256.

Hi guys,

My setup is 1 slave machine, and 1 daw machine running together. The only way I can get playback without clicks/pops is to set my buffer to 1024, but then my latency shoots up and playing kind of sucks!

I have a Focusrite USB interface currently, and I'm wondering if I get a Thunderbolt UAD interface, will my latency woes, and perhaps my buffer, be able to go down?

Thanks for any advice!
Dave
This thread might be helpful for working out what's causing the latency

https://vi-control.net/community/th...e-vs-real-time-performance-in-your-daw.46807/

Top Bottom