Time_Macro [High Strings | Mid Strings | Low Strings]
Time_Micro [High Strings | Low Strings]
SWAM Strings
VSM IV

3.Brass
Berlin Brass
Cinematic Studio Brass
CineBrass Core
Ark I [Kommandanten Trumpets | Schwarzdorn Horns | Rotdorn Horns | Hindenburg Tubas | Friedrich Bass Trombones | Koenigsberger Cimbassi]
Ark II [Koenig Fluegelhorns | Kadetten Bass Trumpets | Weissdorn Wagner Tubas | Waltroper Euphoniums | Ring Tubas]
Ark IV
Caspian [6 French Horns | 3 Trumpets | 3 Bass Trombones]
Time_Macro [Brass]
Time_Micro
Sample Modeling [French Horn, Tuba, Trumpet & Trombone]
SWAM

4.Woodwinds
Berlin Woodwinds [w/ Additional Instruments & Soloists]
Cinematic Studio Woodwinds
Ark I [Holbein Bassoons | Barnak Contrabassoons]
Ark IV
Time_Macro [High Woodwinds | Low Woodwinds | Double Reeds]
Time_Micro
SWAM

5.Harp - CineHarps | Berlin Harp

6.Organ
Royal Albert Hall Organ
B-3 V

7.Percussion
Orchestral Tools - The Timpani
Pacific Percussion [Bass Drum, Tenor Drum, Toms, Taiko, Sticks I & II]
Ark I Percussion Hits
Orchestral Percussion SDX

8.Drums
Superior Drummer 3
Stories
Decades
Rooms of Hansa
Hitmaker Electric
Core Library
Legacy of Rock
Stockholm
Zenology Pro

9.Bass - Trilian | Retrogade Bass

10.Synths
Omnisphere | Zenology Pro [Zen-Core | Jupiter-8 | Juno 106 | JX-8P | SH-101 | JD-800] | Diva [Minimoog | Jupiter-8 | Alpha Juno 2 | MS-20 | JP-8000] | Trilian | Tal-Pha | OB-X [SonicProjects] | OB-E | OB-EZ | SEM [GForce] | Arturia Collection
Pigments | Serum | u-he Synths
VCV Rack | Cardinal
Magical 8-bit

11.Electric Guitar - SC | LP | Rickerbacker
12.Acoustic Guitar - Taylor | Nylon Sky
Are you looking to purchase another lib or are you just probing to figure out other people's preferences?

I read a thread "Disappointed with Berlin" which was fun. The Berlin stuff can't be that bad? I guess that's how good it gets with virtual stuff with a few exceptions. I guess even with a real orchestra you can't expect to be as good as Chicago Symphonic under Reiner as conductor.

Last edited:
I read a thread "Disappointed with Berlin" which was fun. The Berlin stuff can't be that bad? I guess that's how good it gets with virtual stuff with a few exceptions. I guess even with a real orchestra you can't expect to be as good as Chicago Symphonic under Reiner as conductor.
The Berlin stuff is definitely not bad. I think that user failed to do his due diligence to make sure the library met what he valued highly (such as rigid consistency and de-noising). So if a few noises here and there when auditioning an instrument in isolation is a deal breaker, then yeah - avoid it. Personally, I've never noticed an issue with noise in context of an actual piece of music.

Did you ever try Berlin Strings?
Yes! They're great. The mockup I did for The Hunter uses them. Nothing else could pull it off.

Audio Imperia (Nucleus) is my GAS Killer--even though I'm scrambling to complete my collection of all their products. Solo or Dolce is next for me.

Audio Imperia (Nucleus) is my GAS Killer--even though I'm scrambling to complete my collection of all their products. Solo or Dolce is next for me.
Definitely SOLO!

Dolce has potential, but it needs some update love to address the legato bumpiness and CPU consumption. Even better if they can convert away from the Performance Samples single articulation only patch approach and add in their usual assortment of multiple articulation patches (like with Chorus). Don't know why that rolled out in that state, but it did.

I need help understanding your poll. You list manufacturers instead of libraries, but your title says "most used orchestral libraries." To me, that doesn't make sense. Then you throw in some libs like the Arks or even more specific Tokyo Scoring (Strings). What's the point? Why should we compare a single library like TSS to the entire Spitfire catalog in a poll?

Last edited:
I need help understanding your poll. You list manufacturers instead of libraries, but your title says "most used orchestral libraries." To me, that doesn't make sense. Then you throw in some libs like the Arks or even more specific Tokyo Scoring (Strings). What's the point? Why should we compare a single library like TSS to the entire Spitfire catalog in a poll?
It's not a comparison poll, I just wanted to know what you guys are using as a foundation or as "these does most" libs. It doesn't make sense to include every niche product. You can comment that. Metropolis Ark & TSS are decent libraries that's widely used, especially TSS if you're composing for the east. I personally am not fond of spitfire stuff.

Listing Manufacturers is quite convenient, Berlin - BS, BB, BWW, Cinematic Studio - CSS, CSB, CSW, Performance Samples - Ensemble or Vista, Cinesamples - Cinebrass [primarily] & Cinestrings & Stuff, Audiobro - Modern Scoring or LASS and so on. It's not hard to understand. When someone says Spitfire in a general context as a workhorse library they generally refer to SCS or Symphonic or BBCSO. It'd be a waste to list every single library.

As all of Berlin goes together well, same of Cinematic Studio, also for Spitfire. I personally found that whole packages sound great and require much less processing than using primary Strings, Brass, Woodwinds from different libraries. [you can then layer the shortcomings from differnt room and library, but for the foundation it's great to have in one room and with consistency]

A veteran wouldn't have any trouble here. It's not a niche library poll. I find that for 99% of work it's either Berlin Stuff | Cinematic Studio | VSL | Spitfire Symphonic | Nucleus [not very fond of] depending of the user & their familiarity of use. Then other niche libraries supplement these foundation libraries.

Last edited:
Definitely SOLO!

Dolce has potential, but it needs some update love to address the legato bumpiness and CPU consumption. Even better if they can convert away from the Performance Samples single articulation only patch approach and add in their usual assortment of multiple articulation patches (like with Chorus). Don't know why that rolled out in that state, but it did.

Yes! I was leaning heavily towards Solo for the very reasons you've described here about Dolce. Plus, I want that solo singer to compliment my music. But I'm very confident that an update will eventually come for Dolce.

Yes! I was leaning heavily towards Solo for the very reasons you've described here about Dolce. Plus, I want that solo singer to compliment my music. But I'm very confident that an update will eventually come for Dolce.
Since I have other vocals (Atlantis, Jaeger), I rarely reach for the ones in SOLO. But the operatic one is cool for sure. I find SOLO to be somewhat incosistent in terms what I find useful. The sound is overall great but a little polished, I wouldn't a little more attitude. And as always, the shorts are absolutely amazing!

Love: viola, bassoon, oboe, clarinet and English horn
Ok: Descant horn, flute, vocals
Never use: trumpet, violin, French horn.

I apologize in advance for the off-topic (although, I'd argue, tangentially related) nature of this post.

For a variety of reasons, lately I've been writing entire tracks (or near enough) with nothing but a single virtual ROMpler, the venerable Roland XV5080 (the VI version). It started out of convenience, since I'm traveling quite a bit this year, in airports a couple times a week and living in hotels (the joys of the music business!) and don't always want to bother with my external SSDs. Additionally, I've always loved the sound of the '90s-'00s Roland modules: they've been a part of everything from my favorite game/film/TV soundtracks to my favorite Babyface productions (the producer, not the interface, although I'm a fan of both).

It's resulted in a spurt of creativity I haven't had in a long time, quite honestly. Unquestionably, we live in an age of beautiful options, and the other side of that is option paralysis and/or a fear of insufficient optimization. Limiting myself to one imperfect, but GOOD, tool has been extremely enjoyable, fulfilling, and productive.

Libraries without 2nd violins, 2nd violalines, 2nd cellolines and 2nd bassolines do nothing for you at all. let alone all the missing 2nd flutes and counter-counter baboons you didnt mention in your poll. // scnr ;)

Libraries without 2nd violins, 2nd violalines, 2nd cellolines and 2nd bassolines do nothing for you at all. let alone all the missing 2nd flutes and counter-counter baboons you didnt mention in your poll. // scnr ;)
I bet you'd even got some atonal horns behind that crown mask of yours.

I apologize in advance for the off-topic (although, I'd argue, tangentially related) nature of this post.

For a variety of reasons, lately I've been writing entire tracks (or near enough) with nothing but a single virtual ROMpler, the venerable Roland XV5080 (the VI version). It started out of convenience, since I'm traveling quite a bit this year, in airports a couple times a week and living in hotels (the joys of the music business!) and don't always want to bother with my external SSDs. Additionally, I've always loved the sound of the '90s-'00s Roland modules: they've been a part of everything from my favorite game/film/TV soundtracks to my favorite Babyface productions (the producer, not the interface, although I'm a fan of both).

It's resulted in a spurt of creativity I haven't had in a long time, quite honestly. Unquestionably, we live in an age of beautiful options, and the other side of that is option paralysis and/or a fear of insufficient optimization. Limiting myself to one imperfect, but GOOD, tool has been extremely enjoyable, fulfilling, and productive.
I would love for you to post some of those tracks in the One Library Challenge thread if you’re up for it!

I can't stand libraries without baboons! They're practically useless. It's even worse when it doesn't have enough round robins for portamento. Honestly the nerve of some devs...

• Haha
Reactions: Enc
Top Bottom