What's new

What’s the latest piano library worth getting?

Interesting, thanks for letting me know.
How does it blend with an orchestra? Is it easy to mix in into other settings?
I haven't used Noire in that role, as I find I achieve more natural results in a quicker amount of time using a sampled piano with dedicated distant/ambient mics, mixed with the same piano's close or mid mics. Ones which come to mind are the VSL grands, Cinesamples Cinepiano, Sampletekk Black Grand MKII, and Garritan Yamaha CFX. Cinematic Studio Piano (Yamaha C7) also works quite well in this role, and is very affordable at $69 running in the free Kontakt Player.

Last edited:
I haven't used Noire in that role, as I find I achieve more natural results in a quicker amount of time using a sampled piano with dedicated distant/ambient mics, mixed with the same piano's close or mid mics. Ones which come to mind are the VSL grands, Cinesamples Cinepiano, Sampletekk Black Grand MKII, and Garritan Yamaha CFX. Cinematic Studio Piano (Yamaha C7) also works quite well in this role, and is very affordable at $69 running in the free Kontakt Player.

I see, maybe I'll look into those instead than. Thanks you for the reply!

Reactions: CGR
Noire is very sweet, gentle, easy to play. But i think it lacks a bit of wildness and expressivity to be a leading-piano in some kinds of music.

Reactions: CGR
Noire is very sweet, gentle, easy to play. But i think it lacks a bit of wildness and expressivity to be a leading-piano in some kinds of music.

Perhaps you're right but the piano is smooth and balanced, and is inspiring to play. Particularly if you factor in the particles engine which looked like a gimmick at first but actually delivers, for me any way. Puts a smile on my face every time I turn it on:

Perhaps you're right but the piano is smooth and balanced, and is inspiring to play. Particularly if you factor in the particles engine which looked like a gimmick at first but actually delivers, for me any way. Puts a smile on my face every time I turn it on:

Yes, its important to note Noire has an engine that can be much edited and allows it to be way more expressive.

However, when i tried handling it i didnt trust my configuration would surpass the default synthogy ivories i like much. Its a thing interesting to people share their configurations.
I found the default Noire configuration very good for accompaigment but too soft to play solo piano.

It's funny ... I keep buying pianos looking for the "holy grail" ... yet I find I keep going back to PianoTeq. And honorable mention to Keyscape.

Funny indeed. I love Keyscape but definitely not for its piano. And I find PianoTeq "not there" yet, but it's getting better and better with every major update. I've found my holy grail in VSL Synchron pianos - got all of them and finally ended my quest for "the best". I forget so often that I'm playing samples. And just to play it safe I bought Noire as well:cool:

(BTW - Garritan CFX, Ivory American D, Ravenscroft, Vintage D, Una Corda, Frozen Piano, all Fracture Sounds and SampleTekk pianos are also very nice...)

I’m on track to buy every piano vst ever made. I can’t help myself. I think I need professional help!

I really love the Embertone Walker D and the Cinepiano...as well as Piano in Blue and the Galaxy Puanos...sigh...

Embertone 1955 Walker D

The garritan cfx concert grand is versatile but a resource hog. You need some fast I/O to load the samples quickly.

Funny indeed. I love Keyscape but definitely not for its piano. And I find PianoTeq "not there" yet, but it's getting better and better with every major update. I've found my holy grail in VSL Synchron pianos - got all of them and finally ended my quest for "the best". I forget so often that I'm playing samples. And just to play it safe I bought Noire as well:cool:

(BTW - Garritan CFX, Ivory American D, Ravenscroft, Vintage D, Una Corda, Frozen Piano, all Fracture Sounds and SampleTekk pianos are also very nice...)

Well to be fair, I found myself constantly irritated by PianoTeq ... until they released the Ant Petrof. I really like their Dreamy patch and use it a lot (for the styles I usually write in).

I have VSL, I think the Yamaha. Need to try it more. I like PianoTeq more for the speed of loading I guess, and once I mix a bunch of other instruments in I usually can't tell the difference in most other stuff out there. Now solo piano ... I would debate more.

I have the ember tone Steinway lite, but I really don’t like it. Is the full version the same with more options? I have piano in blue, which I like, but it’s also very noisy with lots of hiss.

Well to be fair, I found myself constantly irritated by PianoTeq ... until they released the Ant Petrof. I really like their Dreamy patch and use it a lot (for the styles I usually write in).

I have VSL, I think the Yamaha. Need to try it more. I like PianoTeq more for the speed of loading I guess, and once I mix a bunch of other instruments in I usually can't tell the difference in most other stuff out there. Now solo piano ... I would debate more.

Interesting, maybe I should demo PianoTeq again, I thought I would wait for version 8 or 9:) Among VSL options Bluthner 1895 gets my vote right now (I own only standard version, haven't felt the need to upgrade yet) and it's such an organic, balanced and well voiced instrument, full of character. Honestly, this caught me by surprise because these are all qualities VSL isn't often recognized for. But damn, this thing sings!!! Also that Hamburg Steinway D is remarkable. It is a bit brighter than its American counterpart (which is based on true story:)) but I like the sound since I had the opportunity to play one during my college years and I simply fell in love. Oh, and the VSL player is again very, very good, per key editing feature is so useful, sympathetic and body resonance... Right, I feel I'm starting to sound like a shill so I stop right here. I find the only downside of VSL pianos is the size and therefore loading time. But after all these years I finally feel as if I was set free (if it makes any sense).

And finally, let me add that despite all my reservations I'm a fan of PianoTeq, I think it's really getting "there" and I'm sure it is already "there" for many happy customers.

I have una corda and I absolutely love it but it has a very characteristic sound and does not fit in every situation. Does anyone have UVI acoustic suite? Any opinion on that?

I have the ember tone Steinway lite, but I really don’t like it. Is the full version the same with more options? I have piano in blue, which I like, but it’s also very noisy with lots of hiss.

I sold Walker D full version here just few days back. I admit I didn't use it much. I remember I liked the pronounced "woodiness" of the tone but in general it just didn't click with me, And I completely agree with your sentiment regarding Piano in Blue. The tone is wonderful but the playability and noise build-up is something I can't get over.

Interesting, maybe I should demo PianoTeq again, I thought I would wait for version 8 or 9:) Among VSL options Bluthner 1895 gets my vote right now (I own only standard version, haven't felt the need to upgrade yet) and it's such an organic, balanced and well voiced instrument, full of character. Honestly, this caught me by surprise because these are all qualities VSL isn't often recognized for. But damn, this thing sings!!! Also that Hamburg Steinway D is remarkable. It is a bit brighter than its American counterpart (which is based on true story:)) but I like the sound since I had the opportunity to play one during my college years and I simply fell in love. Oh, and the VSL player is again very, very good, per key editing feature is so useful, sympathetic and body resonance... Right, I feel I'm starting to sound like a shill so I stop right here. I find the only downside of VSL pianos is the size and therefore loading time. But after all these years I finally feel as if I was set free (if it makes any sense).

And finally, let me add that despite all my reservations I'm a fan of PianoTeq, I think it's really getting "there" and I'm sure it is already "there" for many happy customers.
I agree lumcas. Having only recently entered the VSL world, I'm very impressed with their pianos (I have the 1895 Bluthner which has such a unique & lyrical antique tone, the warm and resonant Bosendorfer 130 Upright and the older VSL Vienna Imperial). The Synchron Player is superb and the customisation of tone is brilliant.

I had been thinking about trying to hunt down the old Pro Audio Vault Bluthner Digital Model One (not sure it's for sale anymore) but called up the VSL Vienna Imperial, loaded up a Chopin MIDI file and then thought "the Vienna Imperial still impresses me":

Attachments

• VSL Vienna Imperial-Chopin Scherzo in Bb Minor No. 2 Op 31-excerpt.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
The only downside I see is that half-pedalling is not implemented like in the Synchron pianos
I miss half-pedalling a lot from the VSL Vienna Imperial. However, the pedal is not immediately cut on release, and lifting it produces a smooth release that is similar to half-pedalling. Not controllable as it should, but at least realistic in some (if not most) cases.

Paolo

I agree lumcas. Having only recently entered the VSL world, I'm very impressed with their pianos (I have the 1895 Bluthner which has such a unique & lyrical antique tone, the warm and resonant Bosendorfer 130 Upright and the older VSL Vienna Imperial). The Synchron Player is superb and the customisation of tone is brilliant.

I had been thinking about trying to hunt down the old Pro Audio Vault Bluthner Digital Model One (not sure it's for sale anymore) but called up the VSL Vienna Imperial, loaded up a Chopin MIDI file and then thought "the Vienna Imperial still impresses me":

Great classical sound, very nice playing, is this you? I should practice more... And how old is VSL Imperial library, 10-15 years? It has aged pretty well, right? Are there any other mic options? I don't like player position much when listening to a record, it's maybe just me....

Top Bottom