What's new

What’s the latest piano library worth getting?

Between Noire & Ascend you really have everything from a very detailed intricate felt piano and classic grand piano to a filmic soundscaping piano instrument. I have both these piano libraries to cover all my piano needs both in the studio and live on stage. Both fantastically creative, expressive musical instruments in their own right.
I really don't see how anyone could possibly need yet another piano library considering the vast capabilities between these two.
I like chocolate. Every flavor ever invented, or that ever will be. Each is different. And I wanna try them all. Each *is* different.

Reactions: CGR
Anyone have any experience with the Neo Plano from Sound Magic? Sounds intriguing...

Some recent info (including my feedback/opinion) here:

The sale on the Uprights is extended until Jan 27th.

Some recent info (including my feedback/opinion) here:

The sale on the Uprights is extended until Jan 27th.
Thank you CGR. I like your sample and the neo piano sounded terrific too. Will consider for next round of sales.

Reactions: CGR
As good the VSL Synchron pianos are, I have found VSL Imperial more enjoyable and my favorite all around. Does anyone have both and prefer the VSL Synchron and, if so, why?

As good the VSL Synchron pianos are, I have found VSL Imperial more enjoyable and my favorite all around. Does anyone have both and prefer the VSL Synchron and, if so, why?

I have the VSL Synchron Bluthner & Bosendorfer Upright Standard editions which are superb, and also the VSL Vienna Imperial which really holds it own against the Synchron pianos in my opinion. Obviously very different pianos & characters, so hard to say which I prefer, because I use them for different purposes & character.

The VSL Vienna Imperial was created with quite a different approach to sampling compared to the VSL Synchron pianos - sampled at three positions with multi mic setups (Close, Player, Distant) in the controlled acoustic of VSL's Silent Stage, and the ability to apply reverb to those with the built-in Impulse Responses which include the beautiful ambience of the Wiener Konzerthaus Mozart Saal amongst others. The only downside I see is that half-pedalling is not implemented like in the Synchron pianos, and a few users have complained about minor tuning inconsistencies in the treble at higher velocities, which personally never bothers me.

The VSL Vienna Imperial impresses me every time I use it or hear it. Stunning tone & realism.

Last edited:
How is the Noire piano recorded? Can't find any information on the website regarding what mic setup it has. Are the different mic options?

How is the Noire piano recorded? Can't find any information on the website regarding what mic setup it has. Are the different mic options?
No mic options, apart from a separate sub mic for the bottom end. I believe after much testing they settled on a pair of Neumann LDC mics up near the hammers, and another single mic near the tail.

No mic options, apart from a separate sub mic for the bottom end. I believe after much testing they settled on a pair of Neumann LDC mics up near the hammers, and another single mic near the tail.
off topic, Craig, but I always remain astonished by the sheer number of piano libraries you have :)

off topic, Craig, but I always remain astonished by the sheer number of piano libraries you have :)
Ha, I know Rob - I really do have a problem! Although I have been collecting them for almost 20 years. Luckily I wasn't around in the 1920s or I'd have a house full of acoustic pianos (and not much else) :)

Interesting, thanks for letting me know.
How does it blend with an orchestra? Is it easy to mix in into other settings?

Top Bottom