1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by muziksculp, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Critz

Critz Senior Member

May 7, 2017
    I'm sorry if I insist on the huge size of Synchron Strings. But while I agree to make an orchestral library means to do compromises and choices, I really think that with that amount of data VSL could offer more!
    Spitfire could achieve a huge vibrato but also a more gentle vibrato, with really nice results (it's a fact everybody likes Spitfire sound signature). And the library is 100 gbs. I'm sure they decided to stay around that size and they had to chose what to include and what to skip. I'm sure that with 400 gbs they would have offered even more solution for vibrato and legato.
    VSL really didn't care about the size. So I can't justify the lackness of a strong vibrato, that probably works better than what we have now most of the time. It's absolutely a must, both for film scoring that for "classical".

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    I don't really need even more vibrato than the strong one in SyS. The CSS one for example can sound comical at times.

3. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Then keep using it since it fills all your needs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Casiquire likes this.
  4. Critz

Critz Senior Member

May 7, 2017
    For sure that's most likely the last VSL library I buy.
    I would probably invest in them instead of VSL.
    You are right, I was hoping for something better from VSL because I prefer the workflow. But at the end of the day, the sound and realism is the main thing. And clearly at the moment we have to look elsewere.

5. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    So now that this is cleared up I imagine you'll move on.

Casiquire likes this.
  6. Critz

Critz Senior Member

May 7, 2017
    Sure, if it pleases you so much, I will move on with pleasure.
    May I also suggest you that if you want to receive just compliments for your demos (and just to be clear I blamed VSL for the poor tool, not the composition or programming skills), there's the VSL forum that will be just perfect. I'm sure William will be excited!

7. omiroad

omiroad Senior Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Quoted for truth. I did expect SyS to somehow fulfill everything for me, since I don't much libraries yet. My fav is VSL Chamber Strings but I wanted to expand.

Pixelpoet1985 and ka00 like this.
  8. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    And just be clear, my only complain has nothing to do with the comments made, but it would be nice to have some balance between what ones doesn't like and ones like. I'm sure that is understandable.

But anyway, this is going in circles.

Casiquire likes this.
  9. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Pretty cheap shot there.

Critz likes this.
  10. omiroad

omiroad Senior Member

Oct 17, 2016
    I wouldn't expect any less after

Demos are probably the most on-topic submission you could make to this thread.

11. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    And so goes the 2018 method of communicating online: cheap shots and sarcastic quips designed solely to make ones self feel superior and "one up" the other with little to nothing to back it up.

Kudos to Guy for subjecting himself to this by continued submission of well written and well programmed demos. He's the only one doing so.

I'm personally on the fence still about whether to get a refund for synchron strings but these latest demoes are pushing me to stick it out until the new player and everything else is released.

Casiquire likes this.
  12. SGordB

SGordB Senior Member

This is interesting (news to me, at least): . It's Herb Tucmandl on the motivation for the Synchron library, i.e., 1st tier Hollywood composers like Desplat and Elfman told VSL they were routinely using VSL libs to spice up their final orchestral recordings, fill in holes at the last minute and the like, so Tucmandl (himself a film composer and former orchestral cellist) thought, why not create a new lib that will already sound like a scoring stage when composers mix it with live recordings. He seems to be implying future scores may be recorded at Synchron, allowing composers' live/sampled hybrids to be a perfect Synchron/Synchron match.

13. Simon Ravn

Simon Ravn Senior Member

Unchained:
    0:17-0:19 something funny going on in the violins x-fade, they suddenly drop to another dynamic abruptly after going down a whole tone.
    0:51/0:52, the release is rather abrupt.
    01:01-01:11 same thing with the release.
    02:46 is a bit weird, because you go in playing a rather hard hitting f in the violins, then it sort of fades into mp over the next 2-3 notes, but this is more a phrasing "issue"/feeling. I would think it would have been much more sensible and musical to fade in the first note from mp at least to create a more dynamic phrasing. Also considering the rest of the orchestra is playing p.
    02:57 cellos/violas abruptly come to a stop.
    03:17 violins legato, not sure what's going on there, maybe you're not using a legato patch and have a lot of overlap on the two notes.
    03:28 cellos/violas/basses come to an abrupt stop and you fade out the violins 1-2 seconds later. Doesn't sound like this was intentional.
    04:22 onwards, here the problem with the violins staccatos being "too perfect" really shows, and it gets very unnatural and machine-gun-y, metallic/sharp sounding.

Otherwise a nicely written piece that shows off many articulations.

14. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Thanks a lot Simon, much appreciate that!

I've quickly looked at these, I must admit they were much smaller issues than I expected, I could of probably tweaked it a little more for sure, and will do what I can to fix these, however in general this looks more related to the programming than the library itself.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    jamwerks and Simon Ravn like this.
  15. Eptesicus

Eptesicus Senior Member

Jan 8, 2017
    UK
  16. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I've updated the mix,(same link) some changes are pretty subtle: a few longer release, x-fade adjustments, others question of taste I think but did the change, and some was quite helpful. Thanks Simon!

Unchained

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    JBacal, Casiquire, C-Wave and 13 others like this.
  17. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    This whole conversation has also made me more interested in playing around with the envelopes in Dimension Strings. It's much more powerful than I realized before. It gets me anywhere from a really aggressive and painful portamento to a fairly smooth glissando. I don't own Synchron so I can't speak to its use there, but I have high hopes.

18. Simon Ravn

Simon Ravn Senior Member

Guy, your new demos have ALMOST convinced me to give Synchron a shot and see how it works in my own hands. But I'll hold out and see when the final player + final library is done. I really don't want to spend hours and hours setting up matrices, fiddling with attack/release/"blur" settings etc. I believe a library like this should work pretty good out of the box and THEN you can do your personal tweaks. It seems like it needs a lot of work right now to get started.

I know that nothing is gonna fix my feeling that it lacks vibrato and life, but still it might turn out to be a useful library in some cases. And if we could just convince the VSL team to go back and record a couple of extra layers with more vibrato/expression it might even become really useful.

Rob Elliott, Vadium, Critz and 3 others like this.
  19. Vladimir Bulaev

Vladimir Bulaev Active Member

Jan 4, 2017
    +100500

20. Vladimir Bulaev

Vladimir Bulaev Active Member

Jan 4, 2017
    And you need more Round Robin for all vibrato layers. It would be a fantastic library!

Rob Elliott and Simon Ravn like this.