1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by muziksculp, Oct 11, 2017.

1. ctsai89

ctsai89 Poem of Ecstasy

Oct 4, 2016
    91 pages for this thread.

I have a new theory.

Vienna purposefully released their product uncompleted knowing that there will be more than enough to discuss in order for synchron to stay on top of the forum

2. Critz

Critz Senior Member

May 7, 2017
    On top of the forum to do what? To confirm to people that VSL sounds outdated? :)

3. storyteller

storyteller Senior Member

Dec 26, 2015
    How I feel after missing a few days of posts in this thread and trying to catch up....

[​IMG]

That said, I'm rooting for ya VSL!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  4. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    You'd think if you don't like what you hear you would say it once and then just ignore the rest and move on to another thread, apparently not, and instead of being sarcastic, just don't buy it and respect the others who appreciate the great qualities of this library. Personally, I am very excited about the richness of the sound, the beautiful flautando, the flexibility of the staccato notes and so much more, and will have much fun composing with it.

Just had to say this. Nothing to see folks, keep moving.

EgM, doubleattack, C-Wave and 6 others like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hi,

I haven't heard much about the mic options, and how they sound in Synchron Strings, for both the Full , and Standard Libraries. The Full library offering more mic options.

i.e. @Guy Bacos : Are you using the Full version to produce the latest demos ?

Basically, I feel that not much has been discussed, and demonstrated, about the various mic options, mixing them, and how the strings differ sonically, when using the various mic options, I'm also hoping that the new Synchron Player will make mixing, and selecting various mic options nicer, and possibly faster in terms of workflow, and GUI experience.

Other Strings libraries from Spitfire, OT, 8dio, Cinematic Strings, ...etc. can sound quite different in terms of their character depending on how one mixes the various mic options, I'm guessing the same applies to VSL's Synchron Strings.

Here is the current chart showing the various Mics for the Full and the Standard versions of Synchron Strings :

[​IMG]

Any feedback on this important detail would be interesting, and helpful.

Thanks,
    Muziksculp

Pixelpoet1985 and C-Wave like this.
  6. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    @musiksculp - The Standard Library comes with a Room-Mix which is a stereo mix of all the mics including the surround as I understand. It not only sound excellent, but its also very low on resources compared with using all of the mics. I would recommend you try this first and see if it isn't everything that you need. More importantly, adding the right EQ and reverb make all the difference in the world IMO. Remember, these are raw sounds just as you would get recording in a world-class scoring stage and they need to be mixed properly. Shawn Murphy doesn't just recording the strings and throw them out there. They are processed with just the right spices, and that's why Shawn gets the big bucks. The recipe is simple though, and once you find one you like, its just a preset away.

Guy Bacos likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hi synergy543,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have not installed Synchron Strings I, (I Pre-Purchased the Full version), I will not be installing it until the Synchron Player and the entire Full version Synchron Strings library is completed.

I know Shawn Murphy was the recording engineer that EW used for their Orchestral Libraries, did VSL use him as their engineer as well for Synchron Strings ? or are you just giving an example ?

The use of the multiple mics should offer a lot of flexibility in creating the sonic character that one is seeking, or for the specific project at hand. I'm guessing The Room Mix of the Standard Library is just one option, but there is a lot more to discover, and experiment with by using multiple mic options, and especially the mixing of the additional mics the Full version offers, not having used this library yet, I am interested in hearing more about the experience of users with the various mics, especially the Full version.

According to VSL the new Synchron Player, Quote from their website :

"Very soon, Synchron Strings I will be powered by the all-new Vienna Synchron Player, a dedicated sample player with a brand new engine built from the ground up. Its innovative new algorithms make it even more effortless to render strings with astounding realism.

Combining a number of microphone positions with a wealth of available velocity layers and note variations for each articulation requires a powerful sample engine. Our upcoming Synchron Player will deliver unprecedented streaming performance, able to trigger more than 300 voices per instrument simultaneously! The new engine will also come with an internal mixer with 5-band EQ, delay for runtime compensation, algorithmic reverb, phase switching and panorama controls."

From this, I'm guessing we can conclude that the Synchron Player will be more suitable for use with the multiple mic options, and will also be able to stream more voices than the current VI-Pro 2, plus it will offer some additional mixing tools.

Cheers,
    Muziksculp

8. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    I was just using Shawn as an example. I think it was Dennis Sands that did the Conrad Popes Synchron recordings which you can download from his Soundcloud page for reference. Proper mixing makes all the difference in the world IMO.

If I had to guess, they made the Room-Mix from the preset with the full compliment of all the mics (including the matrix delays). Just a guess though. I have the Full version too, though I'll likely be using the Room-Mix most of the time. The differences in VSL mic positions is much more subtle than say Spitfire or OT. Together, they all sound far more beautiful than any single mic. However, so does the Room-Mix so thanks to VSL for providing this lovely time and resource saver! For me, this lets me focus on many more articulations as well as different instruments and I have 96G RAM. The time spent with different articulations has a bigger payoff as it allows for greater expression.

I don't know anything about the new Synchron Player, and if I did, and said anything, probably about five people would kill me.:shocked: . The VI-Pro 2 is already quite powerful if you set your SSD buffers properly in the Directory Manager. You can stream quite a lot and get very fast load times. Plus you can sync across multiple instances when you change settings. Etc. They already added quite a lot and I'm not even sure what the new player could add. I'm quite pleased with what it does now, so whatever else the add will be icing on the cake.:dancer:

muziksculp likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hi Synergy543,

Thanks for the additional helpful feedback.

Yes, the current VI-Pro 2 is quite capable, and very flexible, but I don't know if it can stream more than 300 voices per instrument, simultaneously, which is what the Synchron Player will be able to stream. I'm also guessing that one can obtain a richer, fuller sound when using multiple mic options, compared to just using the Room-Mic. But that will require more efficiency from the player.

10. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
    I actually really love the sound of the strings, and the new demos reinforce that. The flaw in Unchained so far is how silent things get between notes, I'd like a little more room. Otherwise no other library sounds like this and it's a pleasing, roomy but still dry sound.

11. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hi Casiquire,

Are you saying you would like to hear more of the room, or ambient-tail of the notes when a note ends ? Just wanted to double check if I understood your statement above.

Isn't this what the various mic options should offer ? more ambiance, which will be audible between the notes ?

Thanks,
    Muziksculp

12. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    So Dennis Sands engineered these samples?

13. leon chevalier

leon chevalier Waste my time on VI Control

Nov 19, 2015
    France
    @muziksculp you will soon have the 100 pages golden badge on you picture like Mike Verta :)

This is my little contribution to that great goal !

14. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    This is like that game at summer camp where everyone whispers the secret into the next person's ear and by the time it gets back to you, its absolutely hilarious. No, I didn't say Dennis Sands engineered these. Dennis Sands engineered the Conrad Pope examples that were recorded at the Synchron Stage which you can download from Conrad Pope's soundcloud website. These are a nice reference standard for the Synchron Stage. And I had used Shawn Murphy just as an example of someone who does a nice job mixing raw string sounds a you might get in the Sychron Strings that benefit from the same kind of mixing treatment. Synchron Strings were not meant to be used by themselves but processed as any strings recorded on a sound stage would be.

Folks, if you keep misreading and adding fake news, we'll too quickly surpass our Jan 20 100 page target and I'll not get my beer from Alexander Schiborr. Slow down please!

NoamL likes this.
  15. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    So far I haven't played around with the mic settings, but obviously one can personalize it to their own liking, and depending on the style of piece, the possibilities are infinite. I'm playing it safe for now, but will start exploring this side more in future demos.

@muziksculp, yes full.

Casiquire likes this.
  16. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I didn't say you did. I just asked a question.

17. Critz

Critz Senior Member

May 7, 2017
    We already have it.
    And sorry if I point it out, but you implied there are stuff that doesn't work for you neither. Flautando, staccato..great. but this library is 400 gbs because there are 4 types of legato that are useless.
    I didn't buy Synchron Flautandos. I bought a library that misses most common articulations but was meant to offer a re-invented legato.
    There's no sarcasm from my side. Just disappointment.
    Because when I see the main demo creator for vsl achieve my same (bad) results, no matter the quality of his compositions and skills), I lose any hopes about the future of this library.

18. Simon Ravn

Simon Ravn Senior Member

The clarity in the samples is very evident in "Unchained" (especially in the latter part, after the sul tastos which are good but easily rivaled by other libraries). The cellos+basses staccatos also seem pretty good, but the violins made me chuckle. Unfortunately the lack of life/vibrato in the sustains (and staccatos actually) is still very evident. And some of the x-fades between dynamics and releases sound very unnatural and abrupt, but that could be up to programming of course.

The clarity and definition is definitely amazing but still feels like a wasted opportunity.

Sovereign and Critz like this.
  19. Critz

Critz Senior Member

May 7, 2017
    This.

20. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    When you use the X Slot the variation from non vibrato to full vibrato is enormous in my opinion, but you must remember this is 14 violins, the vibrato will never stand out like a smaller group, the sound is more homogeneous. The 2nd violins are a smaller group and you could hear the vibrato stand out more, but the legatos aren't in yet for them. I'm sure if they do chamber synchron you will get strong vibratos.

Simon Ravn likes this.