What's new

Upgrading from Windows 7 to 10

Hey all,

I know l'm probably a little late to talk about this and apologizes if this has already been discussed.
I'm currently running a great machine, Cubase 8.5 tons of software and hundreds of Gigs of sample libraries.
It's a great setup and l've had no real problems.

Obviously l do regular backups, but would anyone consider downloading windows 10 and installing it
on a machine like this? Are there any issues to be wary of?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

DynamicK

If it's not broken, why try to fix it? I've just bought a new laptop that came with Win 10 installed. It takes double the time to boot ( Win 7 ), even when I turn off my router.

YaniDee

Microsoft will drop support for Win 7 in January 2020
It doesn't mean your computer will stop working the next day! I have an old (not my main) computer running Vista, and it still works. If there's ever a critical security flaw, they still will release a patch for older versions. I'm in no rush to move on from Win 7..

Ben

If there's ever a critical security flaw, they still will release a patch for older versions.
This is not correct. They have done that a few times in the past for some zero-day exploits on XP. But they are no longer obligated to do so and it is lass likely that they will do so again for most issues. Running XP on a manchine with direct or indirect internet-connetion is like steering a ship in direction of an iceberg and hope for the best. Running Win7 after January 2020 is the same story.

In my experience Win10 is faster and more reliable then the older OS. It has better support for newer hardware and is optimized to run on SSDs.

would anyone consider downloading windows 10 and installing it on a machine like this
I would add an additional harddrive to your system and install a clean copy of Windows 10 on it. You can install and test all your software while your old working OS is just a reboot away. I would not upgrade the current Win7 installation, because it is likely that you have to re-install a lot of the programs to get them running anyway and you will get a fresh system.

dzilizzi

I know nothing
The big problem is if your computer is older, there may not be Win 10 drivers. I recently upgraded to a new machine with 10 because I was able to get a deal on version with 64 GB RAM. My 7 computer isn't that old but I will use it to replace a desktop that is 10 years old. It took me forever to move it all and then some companies gave me a hassle because I had too many licences in use. I haven't erased the 7 yet, I'm going to make an image before I do.

I think if you update in place, most things should work. I think I am running Cubase 10 in a compatibility mode for Windows 8, so you may have to run 8.5 in compatibility mode.

kitekrazy

Don't do a clean install. Any hardware that doesn't have W10 drivers will use W7 drivers. I'm sure if I did a clean install I would have issues getting my FW410 to work. I'm running a lot of legacy hardware on W10.

OP
Exitmusicthis2
Thanks everyone my machine is a i7 4930k, 64 GB ram it's about 5 years old, was thinking of purchasing a new machine and then maybe use the i7 as a slave machine.

Whats peoples thoughts on how long software companies will support win7?

Nick Batzdorf

It's a great setup and l've had no real problems.
Then my suggestion is that you put on a cap backward, download a screenshot of the device manager from a computer that says "gaming" on every single component, and pretend that screenshot is from your current machine.

The effect will be identical to having paid a lot of money for a new computer, and you'll have more money in your wallet.

DavidY

This is not correct. They have done that a few times in the past for some zero-day exploits on XP. But they are no longer obligated to do so and it is lass likely that they will do so again for most issues.
They did issue a patch for XP in May this year, but my understanding was that this was because of a vulnerability which could propagate from computer to computer unattended, so by patching XP they reduced the number of XP computers out there trying to infect everyone else.
But I think the circumstances where they'll go back and patch older computers are pretty rare.

Top Bottom