What's new

Touch Screen Workflow

So far I like the touch screen for navigation. Initial tests suggest it will work well for note input as well. It’s good for things like xy pads too except because there’s no controller I haven’t figured out how to record that (unless the plugin has record functionality built in).

I am generally putting the piano roll view on the touch screen, and because it is closest and has 4K resolution I’m also using it as the main screen for reading as well. Arrange view is on the 32” monitor above the touch screen, and score view goes on a third monitor in portrait orientation to the left. I haven’t tried working with score view on the touch screen much, though I have experimented with Dorico. I’m still undecided about how well Dorico and touch will work out.

I do have a stylus. The Clarity Alogic touch screens support styluses designed for Surface tablets. I find their own stylus less than ideal for my uses. It needs modes that it doesn’t seem to support. Though it’s hard to say for sure because the biggest failing of Alogic is at the level of support. Their frontline support people don’t know the products very well and support is very unresponsive when you ask for anything beyond basics. So you have to do that work yourself and there doesn’t seem to be a large community of users you can turn to for support either. Still, it’s a very nice monitor.
Probably because it’s a rebrand and done by another company. Thanks for reporting back.

I might get one as well but i am still undecided. Is the pen workflow similar to iPad where drawing automation is a breeze?

Probably because it’s a rebrand and done by another company. Thanks for reporting back.
It could be but it’s no longer being sold by the original manufacturer and I haven’t found any better support documentation about it looking for the original. The lack of support is the most troubling thing about it since it seems more than possible that the monitor won’t receive any needed updates. They are also using third party drivers. That’s good because at least they are likely to continue to be updated. But not so good because it’s another place where the company likely doesn’t understand its own products.

I might get one as well but i am still undecided. Is the pen workflow similar to iPad where drawing automation is a breeze?

This is hard to say. The stylus seems very accurate but I don’t have a drawing program installed yet so I can’t compare that.

I only have the original Apple Pencil and the latter seems more capable than this stylus despite the Apple Pencil itself being quite limited. The Apple Pencil also doesn’t require recharging with the same frequency as the Alogic Stylus. The Alogic Stylus often doesn’t want to power on and you have to plug it in to get it to engage. (You’re supposed to be able to tap the end of the stylus to turn it on.)

You can draw in automation and it’s not hard but you need to set the modality in Logic for it to happen. When just working normally I usually have the pointer assigned to the left click and the pencil tool to command. To work with the Stylus it usually works better to reverse that. Otherwise you have to hold the command key to get it to draw. You’d think they might have the button on the stylus set to do that but evidently not.

So far I can’t make automation draw with my finger. It always wants to interpret a finger drag for navigation even when I explicitly reassign it in the driver software. I have queries in with support on these matters and a bunch of other things but they have so far gone ignored.

The drivers for the touch screen are quite extensive and include several utility programs for customization. You can define gestures that are very similar to the set that comes with the iPad like pinch zoom and rotate. But they aren’t an exact match. And the default set is fairly limited and as with finger drag the defaults seem hard to override in some cases. There are also many things you can do with your fingers that you can’t with the stylus. There also seems to be no way to define gestures of the stylus. But support is mostly non-existent so it’s hard to say.

I guess alogic are using Dave’s touch base drivers for mac. If so that is good as he’s always able to help. At least in my experience whenever I tried a new touch screen of any company Dave has sent me a driver for that specific display. As macs don’t have native multitouch drivers like windows has, touch-base.com is the best driver there is.

I guess alogic are using Dave’s touch base drivers for mac. If so that is good as he’s always able to help. At least in my experience whenever I tried a new touch screen of any company Dave has sent me a driver for that specific display. As macs don’t have native multitouch drivers like windows has, touch-base.com is the best driver there is.

Yes, they are using Touch Base and the drivers themselves seem excellent. It’s just that support doesn’t know that much about them. And the Alogic site says very little about the drivers or what their capabilities might be. Does Dave—I presume he’s the developer of Touch Base—have a site, blog, or forum where you can learn about the capabilities?

Hello,

I am trying to control Open Stage Control (https://openstagecontrol.ammd.net/) with a multitouch screen using a touch Base driver on macOS Sonoma. The Touch Base driver seems to function correctly but I don't know how to get the touch data to control Open Stage Control's widgets as I would do on any multitouch system like Android, iOS or Windows).

Top Bottom