What's new

Touch Screen Workflow

jbuhler

So I picked up a 27" touch screen to go along with a new Mac Studio Ultra. This monitor here:

Now that I have it set up, I'm wondering a bit about how best to integrate the touchscreen into my workflow with Logic. (I'm also trying out Dorico.)

For those of you who have touch screens how do you use them in your work? Is there functionality I might not have considered but should be looking at?

I've been trying to figure out a convenient way to mute and solo groups of tracks. I like to do this while orchestrating and mixing. I find the mixer window can be a little annoying when hiding tracks because it follows the arrange page and tracks move around. So I built a little button mixer in Logic's Environment and everything stays put at the bottom of a touch screen. The buttons send SysEx messages to VCAs that control instrument groups.

Touch Screen Workflow

I was about to grab this too. Although it is a rebranded INNOCN product i really like the design.

How do you like it so far?

I was about to grab this too. Although it is a rebranded INNOCN product i really like the design.

I didn’t know about the rebranding. That makes some sense. The product itself is very nice, good attention to design. And detail. Very Apple like in that respect. It seems well built and engineered, though I haven’t seen a good breakdown of the internal parts. It also plays really well with Macs in terms of turning on and off, wake from sleep and such.

The support, however, is not so good. The support people are nice enough over chat and try to be helpful but don’t really know anything. They shipped the monitor with a QR code to a non-existent web page and that page has all the information you need to install the drivers needed for full functionality of the touch screen. Support chat knew nothing about it and email chat has yet to respond. The site and manual are also of little use. So you are on your own. Fortunately, once I installed the drivers it’s worked pretty flawlessly other than I’d like to see some workflows for what’s possible.

Alogic is currently running a 20% off sale, and that seems to include the new 32” models. I like the current monitor well enough that I’ll thinking of picking up a 32” non-touch screen as a complement.

The rebranding makes sense because I get the definite sense that Alogic as a company doesn’t really understand its own product.

Do you have a link to the INNOCN monitor the clarity touch screen rebrands?

I've been trying to figure out a convenient way to mute and solo groups of tracks. I like to do this while orchestrating and mixing. I find the mixer window can be a little annoying when hiding tracks because it follows the arrange page and tracks move around. So I built a little button mixer in Logic's Environment and everything stays put at the bottom of a touch screen. The buttons send SysEx messages to VCAs that control instrument groups.

Touch Screen Workflow
This is neat. How hard is it to build something like this? I was also thinking of building a virtual midi controller that could send key switches and such, something like Touch OSC but that would live on the touch screen rather than on an iPad or iPhone.

Beware, Jbuhler!

Touch screens are fun, but they're the absolute and ultimate music tech time sink. If you thought templating was a great distraction from composing, this is cranking the dial to 11. ;)

(Apologies, that's not particularly helpful I know. For my part, I have an old iPad as my main desktop controller but use it in a very basic way - just synced faders, key commands that otherwise require 3 hands. And I don't really think it's the sort of screen you're referring to either...)

Best of luck on the journey!

For touchscreen articulation switches and faders it seems like patchboard is the way to go. Expensive, but would save a lot of time. Also this new one LAS is for articulation sets only and is free. Both run on browsers and so can be used on your touchscreen or any networked device. I haven’t tried either of them but I’m tempted… also concerned about time sucks!

My little button mixer didn’t take long. When I have a minute at my computer I’ll see if I can explain it for anyone who is interested.

I didn’t know about the rebranding. That makes some sense. The product itself is very nice, good attention to design. And detail. Very Apple like in that respect. It seems well built and engineered, though I haven’t seen a good breakdown of the internal parts. It also plays really well with Macs in terms of turning on and off, wake from sleep and such.

The support, however, is not so good. The support people are nice enough over chat and try to be helpful but don’t really know anything. They shipped the monitor with a QR code to a non-existent web page and that page has all the information you need to install the drivers needed for full functionality of the touch screen. Support chat knew nothing about it and email chat has yet to respond. The site and manual are also of little use. So you are on your own. Fortunately, once I installed the drivers it’s worked pretty flawlessly other than I’d like to see some workflows for what’s possible.

Alogic is currently running a 20% off sale, and that seems to include the new 32” models. I like the current monitor well enough that I’ll thinking of picking up a 32” non-touch screen as a complement.

The rebranding makes sense because I get the definite sense that Alogic as a company doesn’t really understand its own product.
If you are looking for another screen here are my thoughts based on recent purchases.

Last edited:
It was this video on my years long research for a great Mac touchscreen that brought it to my attention
No, I wasn't really looking to buy it but hoping that there was more information about how the screen worked with the original product. Alogic does not have very good information about the functionality of its touch screen, and support beyond the basic level is pretty much non-existent.

Last edited:
If you are looking for another screen here are my thoughts based on recent purchases.

I would actually add the Alogic Clarity to this list. It works seamlessly with MacOs, and the monitor itself seems to be a reasonably high quality build. Alogic just released a 32" version, of both touch screen and non-touch screen, and the basic 4k is less than the dell 32" 4k listed with the current 20% discount.

My only reservation on the Clarity screen at this point is the non-existent tech support, and I'm seriously considering picking up the new 32" non-touch screen, non-camera version.

Ok, here is a quick look at my template to give some context to these buttons.

Touch Screen Workflow

It is a version of the template created by Christian Henson and Jake Jackson for Spitfire around the time of the BBCSO release. I know a lot of people found it overly complex, but I feel it is a great one to study and take ideas from. One thing I added was a bank of VCAs (tracks 7-19) to control/automate the instrument/audio tracks in each summing stack, and an additional one to control all the reverb sends. This is something I picked up from Jake Jackson and Alan Meyerson mixing courses where they always have a top-down approach, with a few faders that can control levels for big complex sessions.

My problem though has been how to get them to stay in the same location, because as you navigate the arrange page tracks are always moving around in the mixer window. Charlie Clouser has some great posts about this and using the Logic Environment instead if you want to arrange mixer elements in fixed locations.

So what I did was open the environment and select ‘Create Layer’ from the Layer menu on the left. Then I returned to the ‘mixer’ layer and selected which mixer elements I wanted to control. In addition to the VCAs, I added the click track and temp and dialogue tracks as I always seem to be reaching for those. Then copied and pasted them into the new layer.

Touch Screen Workflow

If you right click on the background you can save this as a ‘Framless Floating Window’. For me even this is great and in fact I might just end up using this instead of the buttons. But in the pursuit of using the mouse less… and if you have a touch screen the next step is to add buttons.

From the ‘New’ menu in the upper left select ‘Fader>Button’. Click-Drag the output patchcord from the upper left of the button to the mixer element you want to control. Next In the preferences on the left side select ‘Output: SysEx’. The SysEx editor window will pop open. In the dropdown menu select ‘Fader’. In the ‘Num’ column type ‘3’ (for Solo). It should look like this:

Touch Screen Workflow

Then back in the Environment layer, with the button selected, change the preferences on the left side to ‘Style: As Text’, and ‘Range: 0 1’, rename ‘Instrument: SOLO’ It should look like this:

Touch Screen Workflow

You should now have a button that controls the fader solo function. Repeat the process to make a mute button, only in the SysEx Editor ‘Num’ column type ‘9’ (for Mute).

Double-click the center of the buttons to change their text. Click-drag to resize. Option-C to change colour.

Once you have gone through all the rigmarole of creating a solo and mute button, just copy and paste them and re-patch them to the appropriate fader, re-label/colour. It should look something like this:

Touch Screen Workflow

Once you’ve got something you are happy with, create another new environment layer, copy paste your buttons into it right-click the background select Frameless Floating Window and you should have the button mixer from my previous post!

Couple extra notes, the click fader is ‘style: Vertical 3’. Just plug it in, nothing else to do. Also the way I figured out which SysEx messages to send is there is an environment object called ‘Monitor’. If you plug another object into it, it will display messages as text.

Hope this is helpful!

So I decided to try the Dell U3223QE as the 32" to sit behind the touch screen. I thought it specced out a bit better than the new 32" Alogic Clarity, and the Dell was somewhat less expensive. We'll see.

Ok, here is a quick look at my template to give some context to these buttons.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 10.45.58 AM.png

It is a version of the template created by Christian Henson and Jake Jackson for Spitfire around the time of the BBCSO release. I know a lot of people found it overly complex, but I feel it is a great one to study and take ideas from. One thing I added was a bank of VCAs (tracks 7-19) to control/automate the instrument/audio tracks in each summing stack, and an additional one to control all the reverb sends. This is something I picked up from Jake Jackson and Alan Meyerson mixing courses where they always have a top-down approach, with a few faders that can control levels for big complex sessions.

My problem though has been how to get them to stay in the same location, because as you navigate the arrange page tracks are always moving around in the mixer window. Charlie Clouser has some great posts about this and using the Logic Environment instead if you want to arrange mixer elements in fixed locations.

So what I did was open the environment and select ‘Create Layer’ from the Layer menu on the left. Then I returned to the ‘mixer’ layer and selected which mixer elements I wanted to control. In addition to the VCAs, I added the click track and temp and dialogue tracks as I always seem to be reaching for those. Then copied and pasted them into the new layer.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 11.24.18 AM.png

If you right click on the background you can save this as a ‘Framless Floating Window’. For me even this is great and in fact I might just end up using this instead of the buttons. But in the pursuit of using the mouse less… and if you have a touch screen the next step is to add buttons.

From the ‘New’ menu in the upper left select ‘Fader>Button’. Click-Drag the output patchcord from the upper left of the button to the mixer element you want to control. Next In the preferences on the left side select ‘Output: SysEx’. The SysEx editor window will pop open. In the dropdown menu select ‘Fader’. In the ‘Num’ column type ‘3’ (for Solo). It should look like this:

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 1.24.48 PM.png

Then back in the Environment layer, with the button selected, change the preferences on the left side to ‘Style: As Text’, and ‘Range: 0 1’, rename ‘Instrument: SOLO’ It should look like this:

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 1.40.43 PM.png

You should now have a button that controls the fader solo function. Repeat the process to make a mute button, only in the SysEx Editor ‘Num’ column type ‘9’ (for Mute).

Double-click the center of the buttons to change their text. Click-drag to resize. Option-C to change colour.

Once you have gone through all the rigmarole of creating a solo and mute button, just copy and paste them and re-patch them to the appropriate fader, re-label/colour. It should look something like this:

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 1.50.27 PM.png

Once you’ve got something you are happy with, create another new environment layer, copy paste your buttons into it right-click the background select Frameless Floating Window and you should have the button mixer from my previous post!

Couple extra notes, the click fader is ‘style: Vertical 3’. Just plug it in, nothing else to do. Also the way I figured out which SysEx messages to send is there is an environment object called ‘Monitor’. If you plug another object into it, it will display messages as text.

Hope this is helpful!
Wow! This is a GOLD post! Many thanks @Marc Bjorknas for the detailed response and great info! Bravo!

So I picked up a 27" touch screen to go along with a new Mac Studio Ultra. This monitor here:

Now that I have it set up, I'm wondering a bit about how best to integrate the touchscreen into my workflow with Logic. (I'm also trying out Dorico.)

For those of you who have touch screens how do you use them in your work? Is there functionality I might not have considered but should be looking at?

Can you use a pen on it? I use a Wacom Cintiq and it’s amazing for “on-screen” MIDI/audio editing.

Most DAW and VI controls are too tiny for adequate touch - ie hands - control, ime. Plus I find it exacerbates my tendinitis more than a pen hold position.

Only drawback to pen is having to pick up and drop it frequently to switch to two-handed keyboard op.

Your question is too broad
It all depends on what you want to do with your touchscreen.
If you are on Dorico and want to write music
I think there is only Dorico for Ipad

Dorico for Ipad

If it's to compose in a Daw
I don't know logic
But it's very useful when you have a template with a lot of tracks
I'm using Cubase 12 Pro and 13 in Trial version for the moment
My touch screen is a Dell P2418HT with which I use the 14bitMIDI Sherlock Plugin
No programming headaches
More than 3000 orders are accessible
It's a delight
Have hundreds and/or thousands of tracks and instantly access the ones you want

I was also thinking of building a virtual midi controller that could send key switches and such, something like Touch OSC but that would live on the touch screen rather than on an iPad or iPhone.
The difficulty here quickly becomes window focus; interacting with your touch controller will take focus away from your daw, unless you setup automatic focus-shifting macros/scripts and/or run the touchscreen connected to a different computer, connected via network/ethernet to your main computer.

For that reason alone, the iPad becomes a simple solution which works great for instrument selection, quick macros/daw commands etc. In my short experience trying a touchscreen with a variety of DAW functions, I wanted it to work well, but by and large it was more difficult to do anything than with a mouse. Pen input works well in a piano roll context, I find. Touch gestures are convenient for navigation, and if you can get your resolution low enough or scaling high enough, mixer faders are... alright. Maybe EQ works alright, too, but touch accuracy on little band handles is unfortunately imprecise enough to be a little annoying.

TouchOSC on the other hand, or presumably any built-for-touch software, that's some worthy touch performance. A lot of that comes down to being able to make control hitboxes and control spacing large enough to fit the medium, unlike the DAW interface which was built with mouse precision in mind. Simple composition templates don't take long to make, it's the mixing and any complex-feature templates that will take days or weeks to get sorted out and working fully.

For clarity, I'm talking about TouchOSC on a separate device, as any separate app running on a touchscreen display connected directly to the video out of the computer running the DAW will have those window focus issues, regardless of what the control app is. Unless the control app is part of the DAW itself, which appears Logic is capable of doing per Marc Bjorknas' comment above. We don't get custom sliders like that in Reaper, just buttons on our custom toolbars!

Last edited:
So far I like the touch screen for navigation. Initial tests suggest it will work well for note input as well. It’s good for things like xy pads too except because there’s no controller I haven’t figured out how to record that (unless the plugin has record functionality built in).

I am generally putting the piano roll view on the touch screen, and because it is closest and has 4K resolution I’m also using it as the main screen for reading as well. Arrange view is on the 32” monitor above the touch screen, and score view goes on a third monitor in portrait orientation to the left. I haven’t tried working with score view on the touch screen much, though I have experimented with Dorico. I’m still undecided about how well Dorico and touch will work out.

I do have a stylus. The Clarity Alogic touch screens support styluses designed for Surface tablets. I find their own stylus less than ideal for my uses. It needs modes that it doesn’t seem to support. Though it’s hard to say for sure because the biggest failing of Alogic is at the level of support. Their frontline support people don’t know the products very well and support is very unresponsive when you ask for anything beyond basics. So you have to do that work yourself and there doesn’t seem to be a large community of users you can turn to for support either. Still, it’s a very nice monitor.

Top Bottom