What's new

The O.L.C. (One Library Challenge)

Hi!
I released my little old project for zebra2. Absolutely free bank of orchestral emulation via zebra synth capabilities. 200+ patches, 4 years of work and still to this day. It would be mega cool to hear what you can do with it. If there is interest it could be usable in this thread.

What do you think?

Warm regards.
I’d say it’s super welcome here, even if it’s synth and not sample based. It’s still one “library” as it’s one synth, and still intended to do orchestral music with. What do you say @Taron? :D

Hey, @Kel ! It's probably a little off-topic, considering that this thread is dedicated to sample based libraries, but I'm still super curious about what you've done with it. I really like Zebra, too, even if I've done very little with it, but it's great to get some inspiration again to dig it back up!

Soooooo...just drop it in here as an "exception". This thread could use some action anyway! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I hope not to be disruptive here. extract it on your zebra.data/zebra2 directory.

there is no legato as I have no idea on how to do it on a synth but some patches in fast phrases do sound like legato, anyway it's very musical and most patches have been programmed to be more playable (most have random stuff for playability). Everything is a bit cryptic, but you can find names on sections, instruments, etc. Some controls do not work, as its a work in progress.

This was a commercial product some months ago, but I decided to release it for free as I couldn't find the time to make updates for it. Now I update it frequently but only in my dead times and for fun.

Hope you find some use for it and don't forget its a Free product. Next update soon...and for questions, just ask!

EDIT. Forgot to add, if you don't have zebra, it also works, but only for 15 mins or so, but let's you save for rendering.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks, that's sweet! I'll try it out as soon as I can. I totally thought you were posting a track you've made with it?! If you have one, feel free to post it! :cool:

Reactions: Kel
Ah, thanks, that's sweet! I'll try it out as soon as I can. I totally thought you were posting a track you've made with it?! If you have one, feel free to post it! :cool:
I only have remade tracks of old videogames. I'm the worst compositor you can think of... but I have some tests that I may post. if They are not so disgusting :D

No pressure, @Kel ! It's mostly too get an idea of what this stuff sounds like, you know. No need to be a master composer for that. I wished I had my Zebra2 on this machine, but it's on my old one. I'll have to find the installer and license again. But once I do, I'll see that I play around with your orchestral set, too.

No pressure, @Kel ! It's mostly too get an idea of what this stuff sounds like, you know. No need to be a master composer for that. I wished I had my Zebra2 on this machine, but it's on my old one. I'll have to find the installer and license again. But once I do, I'll see that I play around with your orchestral set, too.
I'm sure something good will come from it :) I'm learning composition slowly after many years dedicated to synths.

In my soundcloud, all songs starting with zebra use the bank so you can have an idea (maybe the mixing is wrong, though) but the current version of instruments (in this download) blow the old ones out of the water.

I have his small bro bank for synth1, that I haven't released, orchestral too. As an example synth1 emulated Taikos sound as good as real ones! and can do cello section emulation out of this world... too. Some synths are tailored/filtered better to some kind of instruments.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm like a sort of veteran synth programmer with a special pleasure for recreating orchestral instruments and sections. You'll find a number of my OSC tracks that features some of it. I'm not sure if I did orchestral stuff with synth1, but it's part of the line-up for sure. With Zebralette, though for sure!

Thing with presets is, they often are made to work well by themselves, but won't quite squeeze nicely into an arrangement. Whenever I make sounds, I make them directly for the composition. As a result they may not work well outside of their bespoke range or context.

I'll have some listening fun in your soundcloud channel then later tonight! Excellent! :scout:

This has to be one of the most, if not the most, enriching and inspiring threads on VI.
The breath of talent on display has literally blown me away and a great insight into the various libraries.
Not to detract in any way from all the great creations on this thread, though in particular some of the work from @José Herring , @Nico Schuele, @Trash Panda, @mybadmemory and @Taron (you are one talented individual and modest, love your vibe) .... is stunning, hats off!
Some day, one day ..... but for now, thanks for the inspo.
Hope this thread stays active!
G

Thanks,

Being on display with the amount of talent in this place IS a humbling experience.

I personally enjoyed participating in this. At first it may have seemed limiting to just work with one library but then it also kind of opened me up to the world outside of the EW universe and how different libraries lead to different ways of creating. Picking the right library for the occasion is now my go to move rather than trying to bend one library to my every musical whim.

@Taron showed what can be done with free libraries and made me open my eyes to exploring the wealth of free samples out there. We are so lucky today. The new guys are so lucky to have for free what we would have killed for even just a decade ago.

This has to be one of the most, if not the most, enriching and inspiring threads on VI.
The breath of talent on display has literally blown me away and a great insight into the various libraries.
Not to detract in any way from all the great creations on this thread, though in particular some of the work from @José Herring , @Nico Schuele, @Trash Panda, @mybadmemory and @Taron (you are one talented individual and modest, love your vibe) .... is stunning, hats off!
Some day, one day ..... but for now, thanks for the inspo.
Hope this thread stays active!
G

Posted this in its own thread a while back but was reminded of this thread yesterday and realized I never put it in here. My first OLC with Musio. Not sure how it holds up. I love the sound of Musio but it’s certainly harder (for me at least) to craft something believable with it, than with the good old BBC. :)

Last edited:
Really nice rendition, strings sound wonderful.
Can I ask what mixing/ eq applied?
FWIW, I would have considered the 2024 SSO a single library as it was sold as such.
G
Thanks! For the strings I only carved out some boominess around 100Hz on the basses and celli, using dynamic EQ. On the brass and piano busses I used DSEQ to tame some annoying resonances.

On the master there is tape saturation and a limiter. Finally, some very light parallel compression.

True, though I think since they bundled it in one package now for a competitive price I put SSO in the same category as HOOPUS or BBCSO. I think it counts as a one library now. But I will leave it up to @mybadmemory as the creator of this game to have the finally say.

Yeah, since the SSO libraries are no longer for sale individually, and the only way you can acquire this product now is as an all in one package, I would definitely say it qualifies as “one library” in its new incarnation. :)

And by that I guess we could also theoretically allow entries using the older SSS, SSW, SSB, percussion, piano, and harp, as long as it sticks to those that are included in the new SSO.

The new price also fits with the spirit of the thread in the sense of exploring what can be done with one single purchase of a few hundred dollars, rather than multiple purchases or thousands of dollars. :)

Top Bottom